United Airlines Pilots File Racial Discrimination Suit

United Airlines racial discrimination allegationTwo dozen black pilots alleged in a lawsuit on Tuesday that United Continental Holdings, the parent of United Airlines, passed them over for management promotions because of race.
The world's biggest carrier denied the allegations and said it would fight them in court. The veteran aviators alleged a long history of discriminatory behavior across multiple U.S. states. Their suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Francisco.

"The struggle for inclusion at United Airlines is a long-standing issue that many have tried to address over a long period of time," Capt. Leon Miller, a plaintiff, said in a statement.

Most of those involved in the suit worked for pre-merger United. The complaint specifically addresses promotion issues dating to 2009.

Additionally, nearly half of the plaintiffs were part of a 2010 federal equal employment racial discrimination case against United, and are claiming that the carrier has punished them by withholding promotions and special assignments.

United said in a statement that it does not tolerate harassment or discrimination.

"We believe this lawsuit is without merit and will vigorously defend ourselves," the airline said.

United's Merger Turbulence Hits Elite Fliers

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

david speicher

True there is much racism in the work place. When asking a black person to do something they say they are over worked and say they are only being asked to do it because they are black. I am tired of hearing this stuff. I think it is racist that so many athletes get scholarships because that are black. What percent are white? What percent are handicap? ZERO handicap and that is discrimination.

May 31 2012 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ltavers

"Chip on their shoulder" = insecure white man around competent black pilots. Get over it. I'll bet you are looked upon as smart for attributing confidence. Yet a black pilot has a chip on their shoulder. The world does not revolve around you. This reminds me of whites still calling black people minorities when it is clear who the minority is on the planet. Face reality. It's over. May justice be done.

May 31 2012 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ltavers

Racism is very real in the workplace. White people who are racist do not want to face reality about their behavior towards blacks. Racism in America and particularly in the workplace is out of control and needs to stop. White females in particular have a hatred towards educated, competent and experienced black professionals. It is a fact and they create extremely hostile work environments for black people. Trust me, black people would not waste their time going against a company and fighting a racist judicial system if this ignorant, juvenille and sick behavior was not happening. The reality is that no one wants to be treated with disrespect or be looked down upon based on the color of their skin. Black people will stop saying discrimination when whites stop being racist. Plain and simple. Deal with it or change your wicked behavior and raise your level of consciousness before it is too late. Planet earth will no longer support your wicked behavior.

May 31 2012 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim4shipp

retired
As a retired UAL pilot that flew for the airline for more than 36 years, I found that those who were hired because of minorities rules or because of being female, were with few exceptions, less qualified than those that were hired because of their qualifications. Many of the first group seemed to carry a "chip" on their shoulders, rather than show quality performance. I totally support the theory that I would like the most qualified pilots to be flying the airplane.

May 31 2012 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

It is interesting that there is no articulation as to why the black pilots feel they were discriminated against, more than just they did not get promoted. If the white pilots scored lower and were promoted anyway, I can see that being a case with merit. Granted, I dont know all the facts, but if a person scores lower than other people, the color of skin alone should not be enough to show discrimination. I would have the same opinion of the black pilots were promoted over the white ones.

May 31 2012 at 1:04 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
susan

The have Blacks in high paying jobs, so whats the issue.. Think they can do more on merit and less by running their mouth. The Im Black there for I am, doesnt work that well.

May 31 2012 at 12:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wapitibowhunters

Black pilot's Association????? If there were a white pilots association the blacks world file a suit to be included.

May 31 2012 at 12:11 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
fort9erdon

response to: txblkleon
Absolutely ridiculous. How can a test be designed to elicit "black failure"? A question is asked. You either know the right answer, or you don't, irrespective of your skin color! I am white. I have never experienced the "BLACK EXPERIENCE"! But, as a white man, I see black teen pregnancy, higher than white. I see black school dropout rates higher than white, I see single parent homes, far more in black families, than white. I see black incarceration greatly exceeding white rates, not because the court system is biased, no, because blacks simply commit more crime. Is it racist to say that? No, just honest. I am SICK, SICK, SICK, of any problems black people have gets blamed on race! It;s bullcrap. I'd say what it really is, but the moderator would "moderate" me. What is the airline industry to do? Count black employees, determine their % of total company employees, then make sure wee have that % as a minimum of "promoted people"? Bullcrap! Just maybe because of the way you were raised, you just don't measure up. No one told the teenage girl to get pregnant, or any teenager to drop out of school in the 9th grade. THAT may be why blacks are frozen out of higher positions. Duh, they just might not be qualified!

May 30 2012 at 11:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dvanbib441

guess what? they file in Ca. ---9th circuit court that is liberal biased and has over 90% of their cases reversed by the Supreme Court. No mistake trhey filed in Ca.

May 30 2012 at 11:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dick

The big Crutch for inept people---RACE!!

May 30 2012 at 11:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply