The 7 Worst Ways To Be Fired

Chelsea TaylorThere are still four things that should always be said face to human face: "I love you," for the first time; "I don't love you anymore," anytime; "You're adopted"; and "You're fired."

But many people don't live by these rules, because many people are gutless jerks. Tom Pedulla had worked for Gannett Newspapers for over three decades when he had what he thought was a routine phone interview for the job he already had. But USA Today was actually firing him from the sports staffer job he'd held since 1995, specializing in NFL and thoroughbred horse racing.

"If you think someone's job was in jeopardy, you'd want to do it face-to-face to make the best possible decision," Pedulla told the Sherman Report. "I never got a face-to-face interview to keep a job I had for 31 years."

Here are seven other workers who were burned less by getting fired, and more by the way their bosses did it. It should be a reminder to managers everywhere: Terminate your underlings kindly, or they may rage about you in the press.

More From AOL Jobs

veiivet

I was fired over the phone, on my birthday, just before my 90 day probation period was up and the night before I worked uptil 11pm with the girl who was my replacement ...and the reason I was let go ? i was not a \"team player \"! what the hell does that mean ? I was never late, took extra shifts, was never short on my money . I was never properly trained, just tossed into the deep end and told to go for it ....for almost three months I worked by myself, with no bathroom breaks unless I called security! Well that was a disaster ...

July 16 2013 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katr112157

What about the restaurants (chain not just local) that just close down and don\'t tell their employees anything so that they show up for work to find locked doors? That happened to someone my husband knows.

July 12 2013 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to katr112157's comment
Jess

That happened to me. i was 16 and working in a tanning salon and had only been there a week. my mom dropped me off one morning to locked doors and an empty building. they closed and shipped out overnight without telling anyone.

July 30 2013 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maryjane

I got fired from Village Family Service Center in Moorhead Minnesota from an administrative position in 1999. They didn't have the guts to face me or even talk to me on the phone. They just came and cleaned out my office. I went to work as usually and all my files were missing. At first I actually thought we had a break in and considered calling the police.

July 12 2013 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crownjamesp

A defense contractor in florida summoned 250 employees to their auditorium and then the Personnel Manager took the stage and told them why they had been called.. Approximately six weeks later they did it again to another group.

July 12 2013 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sebastian Foliaco

more tips about personal financial http://www.tipsfinancieros.com/blog/2011/12/10-tips-sobre-como-manejar-el-dinero Finanzas Personales

June 02 2012 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marvin R. Autry

I hate to be the one to tell you this But....If you need a job to pay the bills there is no good way to be fired. Donald Trump may think different...He seems to enjoy doing it.

May 31 2012 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kv37

So, in other words, just being fired is a bummer.

May 31 2012 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert.cherrington@lucernex.com

I've been fired more times than a civil war canon but never by fax or text.

May 30 2012 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmich17513

I was fired by phone; while on vacation! They told me they didn't feel it was "fair" to inform the other people they were fired and wait till I returned from vacation to tell me I was also let go. They didn't call it being fired tho. They used the iron-clad excuse of "outsourcing" which was a smoke-screen to keep me from suing them for wrongful termination.

They dismissed me, (plus 2 other people), and kept the employee who watched Golf Channel on the internet all day and also kept the employee who got mostly personal phone calls while she did her own thing in her cubicle-every day. She was always a pain in the ass. Never missed an opportunity to complain about doing her fair share of work but I never went to H.R. to report her because management seemed to accept she was a lazy, worthless bitch. So why rock the boat? I regret not complaining to H.R. now ,because if I had, they might not have shown me the door. Lesson learned: never hesitate reporting a co-worker for something.

The day I was notified by phone, my immediate supervisor took the day off so he didn't have to get his hands dirty and when I returned from vacation the higher up who probably decided I would be let go, who is a real **** Hammer, also took the day off. They dropped it in the lap of a former manager to conduct the exit interview. They also had a security guard present for good measure.

I've since learned the "outsourcing" failed. They took back the work they had sent overseas because it took hours to get things done instead of the minutes I used to take. It's a small consolation to know they were all wrong and I was right. I rather have a god job instead.

May 30 2012 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Millie

I worked in a medical center with a real slime-ball for a business manager. He once fired a co worker of ours by removing her timecard from the rack while she was on vacation. Then he didn't even bother to call her and she came in when her vacation was over to find her card gone. Lousy way to fire someone.

May 30 2012 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply