Texas Society Reporter, Fired For Stripping, Charges Gender Discrimination

Sarah Tressler exotic dancer stripperBy Juan A. Lozano

HOUSTON -- A former Houston Chronicle reporter announced Thursday that she has filed a federal gender discrimination complaint alleging she was fired because she failed to disclose that she also had worked as an exotic dancer.

Sarah Tressler, 30, alleges that she was fired by the newspaper in March for not indicating on her employment application that she had worked as a stripper. "I was very upset that I was fired because I had been told by many editors that I was doing a good job.... There was no question on the form that covered my dancing. I answered the questions on the form honestly," Tressler (pictured above) said in a statement.

Tressler announced she had filed the complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission during a Los Angeles news conference with her lawyer, celebrity attorney Gloria Allred.

The Houston Chronicle declined to comment on the complaint. The EEOC said it could not confirm or deny whether it had received a complaint.

Tressler worked as a society reporter for the newspaper from Jan. 19 through March 27. She previously worked as a freelance reporter for the newspaper.

She also wrote a personal blog called "Diary of an Angry Stripper," in which she described her life dancing at local men's clubs. Her job as an exotic dancer was first made public by a local alternative weekly newspaper.

Tressler alleges in her one-page EEOC complaint that she was terminated "because my prior activity as an adult dancer was not disclosed when I applied for the job. I believe that the stated reason for my termination was pretextual in that I answered the questions that were put to me truthfully in connection with my application for employment. The true reason for my termination was discrimination on account of my gender."

Allred said after Tressler was hired by the newspaper, she only rarely worked as an exotic dancer.

Tressler's attorney said the ex-reporter danced as an independent contractor and was not an employee of any club and therefore did not need to list her dancing when she applied for her full time position with the newspaper.

"Sarah's work as a dancer is lawful and is not a crime," Allred said in a statement. "It does not, has not and will not affect her ability to perform her job as a journalist."

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Hitmanblues

I would like to marry her

May 23 2013 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJD120

I don't know I think I would have to agree with the employer. And yes when you apply for a job, they asked your about your former or present jobs, so for her to say that the application didn't ask that I find that not true. It's just some jobs that don't want to hire someone that was a stripper period, and I'm not mad at that. I don't think she will win her case

May 23 2012 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HarryHawk

Let the past go, whatever she did was not any worse than her predacessors. If any are so perfect, hang them on a cross or let them go. The more you make out of ignorance the greater it grows, that's the way it goes.

May 23 2012 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I guess to make things gender equal, all Houston Chronicle employees that have patronized a strip club should be fired as well. If not, I'd be interested to know why it would be okay to pay someone to remove their clothes, but not charge money to do the same.
At any rate, the Houston Chronicle is a useless rag.

May 19 2012 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Texas is a right-to-work state

May 12 2012 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
N68Firebird

What poor miss "society reporter" didn't figure on was the fact that someone would have recognized her sooner or later, and then she would be treated like a leper. Where in the heck did she get her supposed "education"? She is apparently dumb as a box of rocks.

May 11 2012 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
belldn3

Let us see a tape of her stripping and let us determine her punishment if any.

May 11 2012 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brandonxt602

GOD SHALL PUNISHER HER WITH ALL HIS MIGHT. JEWS RULE!

May 11 2012 at 6:58 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
mico07022

shes hot

May 11 2012 at 4:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Doug

I guess she should have thought ahead that being a stripper may possibly affect her life in the future.

I like how certain people nowadays think of stripping as just another job like accounting or something. Guess what? The stigma is there and always will be.

Showing off your privates to strangers is NOT the same as adding columns of numbers.

May 11 2012 at 3:35 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply