Over the years I've done a lot of research on the positive effects of being positive and the negative effects of being negative. The research is clear. It really does pay to be positive and the benefits include enhanced health and longevity, happiness, career advancement, athletic performance, team building and financial success. Being positive is not just a nice way to live. It's the way to live. In this spirit, here are 11 benefits of being positive. (All the research comes from here).
2. Positive work environments outperform negative work environments.
3. Positive, optimistic sales people sell more than pessimistic sales people.
4. Positive leaders are able to make better decisions under pressure.
5. Marriages are much more likely to succeed when the couple experiences a 5 to 1 ratio of positive to negative interactions; when the ratio approaches 1 to 1, marriages are more likely to end in divorce.
6. Positive people who regularly express positive emotions are more resilient when facing stress, challenges and adversity.
7. Positive people are able to maintain a broader perspective and see the big picture which helps them identify solutions, whereas negative people maintain a narrower perspective and tend to focus on problems.
8. Positive thoughts and emotions counter the negative effects of stress. For example, you can't be thankful and stressed at the same time.
9. Positive emotions such as gratitude and appreciation help athletes perform at a higher level.
10. Positive people have more friends, which is a key factor of happiness and longevity.
11. Positive and popular leaders are more likely to garner the support of others and receive pay raises and promotions and achieve greater success in the workplace.
Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now
Looking for a job? Click here to get started.
Jon Gordon is the author of The Positive Dog: A Story About the Power of Positivity. His bestselling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals, and nonprofits and the proof is in the countless success stories shared by his clients.