Harvard Business School Student's Sexual Assault Allegation Exposes Frat Boy Antics

Harvard Business School, sexual assault

Harvard Business School is known for being the training ground for America's leading business executives. But behavior by some of its current roster of MBA students suggests that in some ways the school's culture is as dated as a pocket watch and may have led to the recent allegation that a female student was sexually assaulted.

Following the allegation, the business school has begun a "sobering process of self-reflection," The Harbus campus newspaper reports (via Poets & Quants). The purported assault appears to have involved the unwanted groping of the student's breasts by a male classmate off-campus.

The female student, who hasn't been identified, reportedly declined to press charges and asked administration officials not to undertake an investigation to identify her alleged assailant.

Despite that decision, it appears that the student's meeting with Harvard Business School administrators got off to a "rocky start," after officials expressed surprise at the allegations.

"When the student met with us and told us this information, I was very, very surprised, and I believe she found my surprise to be disingenuous," the newspaper quotes Frances Frei, chairwoman of required curriculum courses, as saying.

The student told officials that such behavior isn't unusual, noting that similar incidents at the school were reported in Inc. magazine 14 years ago.

"We know things of this nature have happened historically, but we didn't think it was happening with the students now," Frei said. "Her view was like, 'Really? This is going on all the time.' "

The sorts of things that "go on all the time," reportedly include crude "games" such as one known as "Kill, F---, or Marry."

Female Student Voted 'Second Best Rack'

At least one student told Poets & Quants that such game playing isn't unusual. Speaking on condition of anonymity, the MBA student told the publication, "My sense is that the game is played with some frequency, and that many students were surprised that it was cited as part of the 'problem' that might exist within the culture here."

Another alleged incident, earlier this year, led to a female student being informed that her classmates had voted her to have the "the second best rack" in the group.

In an effort to enlighten students to the inappropriateness of such behavior, the school last week held a mandatory lunch meeting for all 900 first-year students.

Student Association President Kunal Modi said the midday sessions were an important first step, but cautioned that there was much work still to do, the Harbus reports.

"Many of the issues that came out of the discussions have existed for decades and some will continue to persist even after we leave," he said. "The challenge for us as a class will be to ask ourselves what we can do to leave this campus an even more inclusive and respectful one than we entered."

Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now

More From AOL Jobs

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

1 Comment

Filter by:
tyler02

Every college, every corriculum, every new year an ebtirely new batch of 1st year students enter the higher phase of their educational cycle. These student come from high schools mostly. Groping is an art form in most high schools. Sexual assaults occur every day. So please, do not have that look on your face that mimics the words, "shocked, I am shocked" - No, that is buss.... and you know it. Women's breasts are a target for every young man who doesn't claim that he is "gay". But then that is another story.

February 09 2014 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Articles

Top Companies Hiring

Week of Nov 9 - Nov 16
View All

Picks From the Web