I'm white and have had issues with my backgrounds that were back when I was 18-21. Just because you have a clean record does not mean you haven't broke the law. You people who think their s... don't stink have a wake up call coming your way. How would you like it if you couldn't make any money to feed yourself and your family, I think you would eat those words you say. You have to give people a chance to make money unless you want the crimes to come to your house. This background and credit crap is just another way for you rich people to discriminate and show how evil you truly are. How could you refuse a person to feed himself and his family by working hard? You people are so full of it that it makes me sick. I think we should take all the wealthy people and seclude them with no means of food or shelter and maybe then these jerks would stop it with the hate then....There is nothing worse than a bigot hate monger, just because you don't have a record does not mean you are a trustworthy good law abiding citizen. Get your heads out of your arses and wake up, things have to change otherwise there will be hell to pay. All in all, people that try to stop others from eating and having a place to call home will get theirs in the end, you all better start changing your ways because this is all about hate and discrimination. I pray you people get to see how it is to go without.

February 09 2015 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to joeblow123joseph's comment

Your words ring so true that reading them brought tears to my eyes. I have one thing on my record. A 19 yr old felony. Do you know that comcast went back as far as 1901! I wasn't even born then. I have a pardon by the great state of Georgia. Well guess what! That don't mean jack. It is still on my record. So what is the point of the Pardon. These laws are not going to stop the discrimination. All the employer has to do is give you an opportunity to dispute and or explain. They already knew they were going to turn you down anyway, no matter your explanation. And if prison/parole/probation is your payment to society, then why the bleep do you have to explain anything. It is double jeopardy. People sit on their high horse and say they believe in forgiveness. Well if you believe in forgiveness then why should anyone other than police be able to pull my background! The elite have lumped all crimes together. It doesn't matter if you have a felony for shoplifting or a felony for being a repeat child molester. You are a felon. These ppl are idiots. They are creating a great divide through discrimination. joeblow you may be white but to them you may as well be a minority because you have been in trouble and are not in their circle.

October 21 2015 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Companies do not come out and tell you they wont hire you with a felony instead they make you jump through hoops, applying interviewing and then hire someone else. - Some people are stuck with felonies because of poor representation and others STILL have impeccable references since. - The whole system needs to be revamped ""It's going to be much more burdensome," said Pamela Devata, a Chicago employment lawyer who has represented companies trying to comply with EEOC's requirements. "Logistically, it's going to be very difficult for employers who have a large amount of attrition to have an individual discussion with each and every applicant."" - If you dont give people a chance to explain or to say what has happened SINCE. Credit checks are BS unless you are applying for a high level financial job. Credit Checks are an invasion of privacy - take someone who has been unemployed for 6 months or more do you really think they will have good credit? People make all kinds of assumptions about felons as it is. - I am not talking about LONG histories of felonies etc. A one off felony does not = a lifetime felon. Housing discrimination is another area. I can see pedophiles and violent/drug related crimes. - Criminal Background checks ARE used to discriminate - wake up. -

July 08 2013 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mrs Roberts

The Home Health Aide Certificate is the easiest to obtain and can quickly transform an unemployable, unskilled person into an employable person with opportunity. The field of home health aide is growing and there will be alot of opportunity to earn a decent wage for these minimally trianed people. Why are we making it so difficult for them instead of making it easier? It just doesn't make sense. The home health aide certification courses cost $200 to $600. Why isn't this course offered at our county nightschools at an affordable rate. Why aren't we subsiddizing the tuition for people on welfare. Why are we charging an enormous out-of-proportion fee of those who can least afford it for level 2 background checks? This would be one of the easiest ways to reduce the welfare rolls and we should be helping people to get off welfare by removing these obstacles. Shame on all of us for being so stupid

April 29 2013 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Levels the playing field? So that a person with a demonstrated history of being "Trustworthy", should be on equal footing with a person who has been Trusted to not escape or commit further Felonies? I believe in hiring former offenders but I don't hire them blindly and I listen to their version of what happened and their current situation before considering them for any position that exposes them to my customers or their property. Even then, my concern for my customer trumps my personal feelings. Anyone with Prison time for violence or theft will not be considered regardless of heritage. I grew up in the streets too, everyone has options. Surviving at the expense of others isn't just taking advantage of an opportunity, it indicates a carachter flaw that will only go away with time spent learning another way. Life sucks in minimum wage, but it's the place where the worst qualified become the best qualified.

March 27 2013 at 12:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rondonit's comment

You cannot support a family on minimum wage or even slightly above . Single mom special needs child 1 felony - (theft) 7 years old no jail. EXCELLENT REFERENCES SINCE in addition to handling cash, credits etc.. - oh Masters Degree as well. The questions should be removed from applications until brought in for an interview.

July 08 2013 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This creates a problem for those hiring in certain states that require background checks for certain occupations.

March 26 2013 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F

Unfair burden on minorities?!?!?!?!?!?
Gee, it couldn't be because minorities commit the vast majority of crimes could it? NOOOOOOOOO way...

March 24 2013 at 10:01 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Susan Gate

Wow... if I vote up with someone I agree with... their points go down... vote down and the points go up... this isn't right

February 24 2013 at 1:05 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

I think if the person did his tme and has not been in trouble for years then they should get a chance for any job.
Now if the crime is rape,or extremely violent crimes or against children then i would probaly would not hire them.

September 20 2012 at 2:27 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

1 in 3 black men and 1 in 6 Hispanic men will be incarcerated during their lifetime. That compares with 1 in 17 white men who will serve time.
I am shocked that 1 in 3 black men serve time in jail at some point in their lives. It is worth finding out why this is. i think there is a focus on finding and arresting black people. I believe racism is very much a factor in the reason why so many more black people are jailed compared to white. The argument minorities commit more crimes is BS and is a racist defense for what is happening.

September 20 2012 at 2:06 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Luna's comment

In response to your debathery of the white race and the statistics of non white crimes .I think you need to do a little research .Stop blaming the white man for crimes committed 200 years ago(remember though that slaves where sold to white plantation owners by black leaders of africa and the such) these slaves where the bottom of the barrel and where not wanted in their own lands.So the ancenstory of these violent offenders where criminals(ruthless rapist,murderers and the criminally insane. So there is the reason its 1 in 3 . Just stop the hatred toward the white race...We are educated and can not be guilty of a ha-nous crime that happened years before we wore born...

November 02 2012 at 11:04 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to deicide14ss88's comment

MOST slaves were not sold to plantation owners by black leaders of Africa. Plantation owners did not sail the mayflower deary. Some rival tribes would sell out other tribes as a way to protect their own,yes, it happened. Then the ship's owner or the proprietor of said tribal peoples would auction these enslaved Africans off to the highest bidder. But all of that did not contribute to the 1 in 3. I don't sense any hate. I don't blame white people for being white, I am just saying please acknowledge that privilege comes with it. That is not their fault. But it needs to change nonetheless. Not all white ppl are racist, but the vast majority of racists are white ppl. Now if a person raises a child to be racist against any person, if child grows up to become an officer with the mindset that he/she is better than ....the what happens when they hit the "beat" if they see or encounter the other, they harass, beat, charge bogus. It happens quite often. Take for instance me. I was in trouble with this white chic I hung out with as a teen. Why did she get the first offender but I did not. I was the same case. You know why? I am black she is white. I was a teen, the felony remains. Her felony was removed long ago and she has moved on in life. I had a paid atty. He was white , the judge was white. Later the judge resigned due to an ethics investigation. Now after 19yrs and NEVER any other trouble, I am fighting to have this removed. There are injustices that you don't see that happen everyday in this country against minorities. No one is blaming white ppl for crimes. The word is heinous"educated" But there is a lot of discrimination that you can't speak on because you don't see it through brown skin.

October 21 2015 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down

What about the white guy? Seems I am becoming more and more one of the minorities. I screwed up 15 years ago and took a bad rap for a family member and I still pay for it till this day. Guess you got to be black, or a single mother in this country to get any help or get a decent job. I got laid off 3 years ago from a good paying job and made a good honest living in the trades and sence then i've bonced from one dead end job to another, makeing next to nothing. Pretty much lost everything because of it. All cause of something I did 15 years ago and now anyone with a computer can find out about it. I think there should be something done about it, but i dont think its fair to the rest of us to favorite one color over another.

September 19 2012 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to captinlon's comment

You know, it is not about white or blk. The way I see this thing is, if you are not among the elite or near elite, you are screwed. The powers that be are separating themselves from us. Remember the movie with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes? Demolition Man? Those ppl were living beneath the city. If we don't stop this, we are going to all be homeless and hungry. It is discrimination. In 15 years you could become a doctor, almost retired from the military,It is like a life time. Any one that digs that far into your past, doesn't deserve you. EFF EM!

October 21 2015 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply