Best Jobs For Introverts (And For Extroverts)

Introvert Extrovert best jobsIf you're an introvert on the job, chances are people have called you shy, reserved or quiet -- qualities that aren't typically prized in the workplace.

It's extroverts, it seems, who hold all the cards in the world of work. Their gregariousness makes it easier for them to instantly establish relationships in which information, ideas and contacts can be shared, all of which can help speed a career along.

Introverts, however, increasingly are being recognized for their ability to contribute in what author Susan Cain calls "a loud and proud society." In her new book, "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking," Cain argues that introverts have been undervalued by a society that reveres braggadocio and outsized personalities.

If not for introverts such as Albert Einstein, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and Abraham Lincoln, she says, the world would be a rather different place.

But introverts needn't be genius scientists, computer wunderkinds, financial whizkids or courageous pols to leave their mark on this world. Plenty of jobs -- a few of which are noted below -- are well-suited to their desires for working alone or in small groups, and focusing on complex problems or finding nuance.

Of course, the world needs extroverts, too, so we've included a handful of choices for those who find camaraderie and collaboration to be valuable components in workplace relationships.

NOTE: The professions included here were chosen at random. There remain many more choices, regardless of whether you're defined as outgoing or introspective.

*Median annual salaries are based on Bureau of Labor Statistics data from 2010.

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Susan Cain Author of Quiet and Introversion

Stephanie Ayanna Cos

The same old jobs in every article posted for introverts are dull and a fleeting market besides a couple. I would think that by now they would have discovered some newer jobs for us "introverts" but obviously repetition and recycled know hows for introverts are in high demand with this and other articles.

May 24 2013 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HotNoob

also... this article blows.
the only job in that list that is actually for introverts, are accountants.

programmers need to be extroverts now a days, those who arnt completely fail.

September 14 2012 at 4:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HotNoob

stevejobs wasn't an introvert.

September 14 2012 at 4:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ungertorelli9

Type your comment hereI have been unemplyed for ab ut 4 years now, and did not know what type of job I should get? I quit my secretarial job, and also had to make family decisions, between my career and my family life. I had problems keeping my personal life and business life seperate, because of male relationships at work, and also with my male boss, (who used me for sex), but i also did have feeelings for him, and we were both married, so, I
decided not to get personally involed ever again with my business co workers. I am now taking real estate courses, in order to jumpback, and restart my career again. I am ready to move on with my life too, and will also keep personal boundaries with all people at work, to protect my life, and privacy. People at work, can get too nosy, and gossipy, if they try to get too close to your personal life, especially your marriage, and family.
Well, Ihave always been wquiet and sort of shy, and reserved, but did not know how to handle myself around men at work, and also with bitchy females! Now Ihave got that e xperience, and hope my next job will be more succesful! One must learn from their mistakes, and also try to become non emotionbal at work! This was hard for me to do before. but now, I am happy to say, that getting a job, and making a good first impressions is best, and the mostg important part of life. People will remember everything a person says, and what they do and wear, and know if they like them! I want to be liked for my work, and also for my personality, and so, I will try to network, and know the right people from the start, and stay away from people which are trouble makers!
I plan to work, for at least 10-15 years, and then, part time after that. So, thats all about my life, and I hope that in my 50's, I will have the best career of my life! People have wished me good luck, and good wishes, so, I am also going to win my career back! I have confidence now, and also a better wardrobe for success, and also am more attractive, and mature. I will not let people cross mypersonal boundaries, or lower my morals or standards every again! I am still maried, to a good man, and also have a son, who is in college, so, Ihave alot of things to be proud of in life. I want to do more things in the future, and also get a new home, which I love, and also travel to places which I love to see, and alsos give nice gifts to people which I love and care about! I
also ant to be a good mother, and set a good example for my family. I am happy wtih my looks now, even if I want to lose some weight too. I have goals, and alot of blessings to be gratgeful, and thankful for! amen

July 09 2012 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JACKIE

hello

April 17 2012 at 3:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JACKIE's comment
GARY110252

Hello Jackie! I'm an extrovert! Want to meet at my apartment :)

April 17 2012 at 3:23 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
bigprofessorman

stupidest article i've ever read.

April 17 2012 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathlecr

I'm an extrovert nurse who after 25 yrs still loves her job. Though its getting tougher and tougher choked by the paperwork.... it's always been there but patient care is really suffering HELP if you can!!

April 17 2012 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kathlecr's comment
ocanavic

hEllo There.

April 17 2012 at 1:33 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Nise

I'm a graphic designer and I make nowhere NEAR $43k. Maybe in another 20 years when minimum wage is $15/hr?

At least they were right about graphic design being suitable for introverts. I'm very introverted and love my job, it suits me.

April 17 2012 at 12:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stees4

It is amazing! If Intorverts and Extroverts would be willing to learn from each other, then both would benefit from the exchange of personalities. Extroverts need to learn to keep their mouths shut at times, while Introverts need to speak out and be heard at times. Nothing is worse than a person who does not realize how obnoxious they are to others, and have no desire to do any introspecting to see how they might improve themselves so they are more palatible to others around them. We all just need to realize how we can better reach out to and communicate better with others around us. If this premise was the desire for everybody, then we would all get along with each other better than we do.

April 16 2012 at 10:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Denis

If you are an introvert, get a job driving a dynomite truck.

April 16 2012 at 5:10 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Denis's comment
db1219

Denis, learn how to spell. It is DYNAMITE. There is no "O" in the word.

April 16 2012 at 8:18 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
GARY110252

Denis, you're the reason some people ARE introverts!

April 17 2012 at 3:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply