Blacklisting should be a crime, except for those who have committed crimes themselves.

January 26 2014 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Nunes

Disclosing "do not rehire" designations to other employers is blacklisting, and it needs to be outlawed unless that prospective employee has committed a criminal act. This is especially troubling in education, where school districts can make it virtually impossible for terminated teachers to ever work again, most of whom never did anything warranting termination in the first place.

September 08 2013 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C Valentine Mitchell

It's that darn place i worked for more then a decade ago...they keep sending paychecks and calling, Wondering why the heck i am not attending any of their stockholders meetings."

April 01 2012 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

anyone who doesn't get hired is on the do not hire list. Do we really have to explain that you gave such a bad interview ?

April 01 2012 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to f4180's comment

provided you got THAT far.

April 01 2012 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

When will people start blacklisting employers? It works both ways.

April 01 2012 at 2:55 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

If you work PT and the company moves that position to full time and add's a extra job they can either
offer you the job or fire you and hire someone else and pay them less.
Believe it or not you can be a excellent worker receive high marks during an evaluation no sick days
and still be terminated because the company wants to cut back to minimum wages for new hire.
Nothing can be done about if it's not a Union shop.Your history.

April 01 2012 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

What employers value most in an employee: Desperation. In other words, they say it's a positive thing if you have kids, or a mortgage, or that you need to go back to school. The more debt and dependents you have, the more crap you will put up with from the job.

I've learned that taking few vacation/sick days, improving my education, coming in on time/staying late, and taking on extra responsibilities make no difference. It's either about ******* up and/or knowing the "right" people, and it's disgusting.

April 01 2012 at 2:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to downywoodp's comment

Nonsense, what they value most is skill and a work ethic. None of the things describe in the scond paragraph matter if you do crappy work.

April 01 2012 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

and you are right

April 01 2012 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Remmers

Let me ask something here in hopes I can get an answer. Over three years ago, I was laid off from my job at a small plastics manufacturing plant nearby. Initially, I was told it was due to lack of work.
However, a few months later when I went in to keep in touch with them to see if they may want to bring me back, I asked the owner if there were any other reasons why I was laid off. He told me he had gotten some bad reports about me. One was that I had made mistakes on the jeep handles I made for the Army's Humvees, the other was a sexual harrassment charge. I explained what happened with the handles, that it was the fault of the fellow who I taught to make them during my breaks & lunch and not me. The owner accepted that explanation. As for the harrassment charge, I explained to the owner the whole story, which he had not heard. Only about a third of it, and acted as if he'd never heard what I told him. He accepted my explanation for this too and then told me he'd be willing to bring me back the following week but we'd better talk to the supervisor first. He first had me retell what happened with the harrassment charge and this was the first he'd heard of this and that I'd best come back that Friday so he'd know better if I could. When I did, he told me that he talked to the girl I was charged with harrassing and she confirmed everything I'd told him including the fact that I'd apologized to her. Which I did. Not only had he not heard anything about the bogus harrassment, but he'd only heard about the bogus mistakes I'd made on the jeep handles three days before I had. Three months after I'd been laid off. It turns out that the girl I was accused of harrassing did NOT turn me in but another girl who only had about 1/4 of the story. I was not called to the office to refite these charges and neither was she. The owner went strictly on 2nd hand information. Since then, I have been unable to get but one interview in over three years for a job. I've applied everywhere including a fitness center looking for an assistant manager even with over 35 years in the industry, I couldn't even get a call back. Nevermind an interview. Now, if this isn't being blackballed, what is this because I'm certainly NOT applying for jobs that are out of my reach.

April 01 2012 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to David Remmers's comment

david , way too much info , you'll never get hired that way

April 01 2012 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to f4180's comment

What do you know about this subject? BTW, black-balling is a federal offense, the difficult thing is proving it. If, however, you do have credible information, find an employment attorney and sue the company. I've seen this accomplished numerous times with the offending black-listing employee fired and fined.

March 28 2015 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down

Well, you can always go to work at McDonald's or other restaurant as a grill cook or dishwasher.

January 26 2014 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C Valentine Mitchell

When they bring you on as a new hire, they always welcome you and say nice things like your a member of our large family now," However when they really don't need you any more, It's always... What ever happened to that were one big happy family thing ??? Got my answer... Or so I WAS TOLD...{{{Don't you know... We are one big happy family HERE and we SCREWED YOU SON.}}}

April 01 2012 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I also have a "do not want to work for" list and believe me, after some of the hiring procedures and business practices I have seen, it is pretty long.

April 01 2012 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply