Postal Worker Dies From Stroke After Pit Bull Attack

Diane Jansen Escondido postal worker diesAn attack by an unleashed pit bull on a San Diego-area letter carrier contributed to the postal worker's death two days later from a stroke, authorities say. The carrier, 59-year old Diane Jansen of Sun City, had been working her route for 5½ years in the northern San Diego suburb of Escondido.

Upon arriving at the intersection of Carlann Lane and East Washington Avenue last Thursday morning, Jansen was greeted by the canine, according to a report by television station KGTV in San Diego. The dog emerged from a residential garage owned by a family with several children. The pit bull "just shot out of the ... partially closed garage door," according to police Lt. Chris Wynn.

Her speech began to slur immediately after the bite and she then became "unresponsive," authorities say. Jansen was then taken to the Paloma Medical Center, where she was diagnosed with a brain hemorrhage. Placed in the intensive care unit, she was taken off life support on Saturday. She died the following evening.

The dog was then euthanized with the owners' consent, according to the Los Angeles Times. The owners were not identified in local news reports, as the police concluded that no crime had been committed.

The incident took place next door to a hot spot for dog bites of postal workers. In neighboring San Diego, the 2010 total of 45 such incidents was only topped by Houston's, which stood at 62. (Columbus, Ohio, tied San Diego. Next on the list was Los Angeles, with 44.)

The existential struggles of the United States Postal Service beyond freak accidents have been well documented as the agency struggles to find its footing in the digital age. The plan to close and consolidate at least 223 processing centers is to be carried out over the next few years. But the bad news was put on hold, albeit temporarily, this week with word that the closures will be delayed across the nation during the upcoming election season. The decision was made to ensure proper delivery of absentee ballots, according to The Washington Post.

Next: Former Secret Service Agent Dishes On Clinton In Book

Stories from 24/7 Wall St.

Davidi

I walked past a construction workers truck (small) and he had a small pit -bull in there and while I was walking by that dog went balistic, he was trying to bite the glass trying to get out to attack me. It had gap at the top and he was trying hard to get out. It would of caught me way off gaurd if he got out.

God was helping me that day....even though it was a small dog , because it was out of the blue, so he would of surprise attack me.

I had a neighbor and he use to go hunting with dogs, he was really good at controlling dogs. All dogs feared him, from what I saw. He had a presence around dogs like he was the leader.

April 04 2012 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Therese

I worked for the post office for almost fifteen years from 1985-2000. The stress from the write ups and verbal harrassment to work harder, faster, make less errors made me question did I want to spend the rest of my career with this company. Of course I did not want to state this on the exit job interview. I left for "other career interests". When some of the nurses I work with complain about their workload I say... why dont you go work for the post office and see what stress is... of course there were days that were sunny, the mail was light and the supervisors were in a good mood... the job paid the bills and has a good retirement. You have to have a tough skin to work in the post office. I proved it by sticking with it for such a long time in my working career. But I wanted to work at a professional occupation. I had the opportunity and inclination. There are many postal workers with families and more responsibilities who can't consider a switch in employment tracks. My heart goes out to them and wish them strength and courage with delivering the mail. Right on! You are appreciated!

March 16 2012 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ggena

France has banned Pit Bulls, along with 4 other breeds.

March 14 2012 at 9:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ellejanseptember

ENOUGH with PITBULLS!! They should not be allowed as PETS PERIOD
NO CRIME THE WOMAN IS DEAD!!!!!

March 14 2012 at 8:54 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ellejanseptember's comment
nikole

I OWN TWO PITBULLS and they are the BEST dogs. dont punish the DOG, if the owner is too stupid and doesnt know how to raise a dog then this stuff happens. for example if parents are too stupid to raise their kids and punish them, they grow up and kill people. same with dogs. and ANY kind of dog can do damage, not just pitbulls. im sick of people thinking they are such bad dogs, come meet my PITBULLS and i guarantee you she will lick your face off with kisses.

July 12 2012 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vlady1000

"Elizabeth-Don't forget the idiots who call the dog, smack it around for getting loose, and then forever after wonder why the dog doesn't come when called.

So true and just DOG 101. Mine quickly learn, If I have to go to them, they know they are in trouble. They will just roll over, submissive, no trying to run away, etc. In fact, when they do finally, some of the older dogs will often warn the younger one to "shape up" (kind of what not to do, as u pointed out). But I think it helps coming from another dog, peer pressure to fit in the pack and listen to alfa (me).

March 14 2012 at 7:33 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vlady1000's comment
vlady1000

Sorry, typo................. "when they do finally COME, some of the older dogs....."

March 14 2012 at 7:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jj2301

I was running yesterday and what did I come across on the public trail (where the city's leash law applies and there is signage to that effect everywhere)? An off-leash pitbull and its owner, eager to demonstrate how under command his dog is. Tell you what: I'm not impressed. We have a leash law; it's not optional; now put a leash on it and tie the other end around your neck - really tight.

Those and a host of other dog breeds are dangerous and the rest of us should not be subjected to the added risk, simple as that. You want to own one? Carry a million-dollar liability policy; keep your 4-legged shotgun behind locked gates with mantraps; pay for a city inspection of your dog run each year; fix any citations *on the spot* or surrender your macho-hounds immediately; if the walking meat cleaver is ever caught off the owner's property and off leash: put the dog and the owner to sleep.

March 14 2012 at 7:23 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
frizzlefrap

i'm am nervous and totally frightened of our next door neighbors little kitty cat and hamster ..... than that sweet, lovable, meek, wouldn't hurt a fly, fragile pitbull!

March 14 2012 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

The owners need to be punished. This poor woman is dead. Her family is grieving and there is no penalty to pay? Laws need to be tougher. Inexcusable, irresponsible behavior on the owners' part. Very upsetting to say the least.

March 14 2012 at 6:45 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
frizzlefrap

i'm more scared of next doors chihuahua and toy poodle .... than that meek, humble, weak, toothless ..... pit bull!

March 14 2012 at 6:42 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
mlhcomp

I find this type of story frustrating because I am the owner of a small breed Jack Russell Terrier. He thinks he is much tougher than he really is, so I always keep him leashed or in his designated fenced area. On walks I have been confronted on multiple occasions by dogs that are running loose in the street. I always carry pepper spray and would not hesitate to use it if there was an attack, but why are these dogs not properly fenced in to their property? I feel this way: if you cannot manage your responsibility as a pet owner then don't have a dog. It is a huge undertaking to do it right, so don't take it lightly. This is especially true for a breed that is notorious for aggressive behavior. I just feel bad that this breed has been stereo-typed because of the misuse of people. Very sad indeed. Written by a dog lover.

March 14 2012 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply