Former Banker Spends $16,000 To Clean Up Dog Poop

banker cleaning dog poopWhen Gary Downie pushed the stroller of his seven-week-old baby through the streets of his neighborhood in the English town of Chester, he had to snake around an estimated 500 chunks of dog feces that dot the main road. "I am concerned about my children," the father of two told the Chester Leader. "There are health risks."

So the ex-banker decided to fund an effort to scoop up the poop.

Downie isn't the only one to notice the problem, the Chester Leader reports. Teachers at Broughton Primary School say they regularly scrape the poop off children's shoes. Downie has decided to do something about it. He's dumped 10,000 pounds (almost $16,000) of his own money into a new charity called StreetKleen, which will recruit unemployed locals to man the front lines.

The initiative has the full support of the neighborhood county council representative, David McFarlane. The council has tried to take an aggressive approach to the dog waste problem. A person who fails to clean up after his or her pet may receive a ticket of 75 pounds. If a person bags the mess but then doesn't dispose of it properly (the Flitshire County website gives as examples "throwing it into a hedge" or "hanging it from the trees") the offense becomes littering, and the offender could face a maximum fine of 2,500 pounds.

The council even introduced "Dog Watch schemes," in which local residents patrol communities and "stop and politely speak" to individuals whom they see "forgetting to pick up after their dog," according to the Flitshire County Council website. The council is even providing volunteers with bags, and special vests to "act as a visual deterrent to potential offenders."

wmacgillivary

Damned innovative, entrepreneurial, 1% guy trying to solve a problem and actually put people to work!! What a stupid idea! What they need to do is increase everyone's taxes and then hire a bunch of lazy, unionized poop collectors for twice the salary that this guy's organization is offering; who only work certain select hours and hold up traffic on the main streets while doing the job, whereby keeping other people from actually getting to their jobs. Better yet, they could offer these jobs, that the banker created, to unemployed young people who have earned 7 year bachelor degrees in English Literature from extremely expensive private schools. Then the unemployed college kids can scoff at the jobs and protest the former banker for being greedy. Damned capitalism, working to make lives better!! :)

March 01 2012 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerry

I think the money would have better spent on a campaign to alert people of the problem and better yet have local government create a law that fines people that do not pickup after their dogs. New York has had this law for decades. The only way to change bad behavior is to make people pay for it.

March 01 2012 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Kerry's comment
MoneyMan2000

If you re-read the article you will learn that they already have a law in place that has a 75 pound penalty and that hasn't deterred offenders. This is a great solution it is providing employment and cleaning up the problem.

March 01 2012 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wmacgillivary

Yes, you're right Kerry. You're definitely right. That is exactly what the world needs! More government laws based on dog poop. Maybe the government, (the solution for every problem) can spend a couple hundred billion dollars or pounds on a special program to try to genetically engineer a breed of dog that doesn't poop. There, problem solved! Then they (the government) can mandate that this new dog is the only dog that anyone can have. If this whole stupid idea then fails and ends up costing billions,........it can be called a
government success!!

March 01 2012 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Fox

Cotton, YOU are a moron... We oughta sign a petition to stop your babbling...

March 01 2012 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
California Grown

I just visited London, there was so much **** on the ground..same in Paris. I guess they don't have dog parks, I can't call them lazy because they definitely walk more than us.

March 01 2012 at 1:24 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Raisetaxesontherich

Mr. Banker you need to pay higher taxes!

March 01 2012 at 12:28 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Raisetaxesontherich's comment
wlh1923

Shut up, just shut up

March 01 2012 at 7:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deejay76

Former Banker Spends $16,000 To Clean Up Dog Poop

Sort of explains why he's a FORMER banker, doesn't it?

February 29 2012 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slconfidential

Easy solution. Everyone on poop patrol is armed and everyone with a dog is warned that if that poop isn't picked up your dog will be shot on sight. No and, if, or buts. If you don't like that one, here is another. If you don't pick up your dog poop. I'll pick it up for you and make you eat it. Either way, you will have a clean area again.

February 29 2012 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Albert Pisano

They need a mascot and they can call him Winnie the POOP!

February 29 2012 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laryssa5

As a mom who does 'Doggy-Doo-Duty' after our 3 family dogs (I seem 2 faintly remember my kiddos promising 2 do this job, o_O) I get so aggravated when other people let their dogs out off-leash in the morning & afternoon 2 come poop on my lawn. I don't like cleaning up after mine, let alone theirs. =( My dogs r walked ON-LEASH in MY yard. I clean up after our pets because I don't want my autistic children stepping in doggy doo when they want 2 play in outside. I secretly want 2 scoop their dogs poop & place it on their doorstep...I know, I know, bad mommy. lol I just don't want MY kids having 2 play in THEIR dog's toilet area!

February 29 2012 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Laryssa5's comment
skevwe

Who said you were a bad mommy? Sounds like you're being the "responsible" dog owner. I know this may sound dumb but try calling animal control on the offending person.

March 01 2012 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
uncapitalista

Flitshire County should be changed to Sh1tshire County ;0 ) Ahh, once immature, always immature xD

February 29 2012 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply