Why You Should Consider Temporary Work

temp workBy Nancy Mann Jackson

If you're looking for a full-time job, you may not even consider taking a temporary position. But maybe you should, because more and more companies are looking for temporary workers.

According to a recent survey by CareerBuilder and Harris Interactive, 35 percent of American companies are operating with smaller staffs than they were before the recession. To keep up with market demand, many of those companies are turning to staffing and recruiting companies and temporary workers. This year, 36 percent of companies say they will hire contract or temporary workers. That figure is up from 34 percent for 2011, 30 percent for 2010, and 28 percent for 2009.

CareerBuilder's Supply and Demand Portal shows that a variety of temporary jobs are currently in demand. For instance, staffing and recruiting companies are looking for physical and occupational therapists, speech and language pathologists, administrative assistants, industrial maintenance technicians and mechanics, network engineers, Java developers, business analysts and marketing assistants.

Even if your long-term goal remains to secure a full-time position, here are three reasons to consider temporary work now:

• Get to work soon. Rather than languishing in job-search mode for months on end, going through a staffing firm to find temporary work can lead to a contract position - and the resulting paychecks - sooner rather than later. The CareerBuilder survey shows that 27 percent of companies looking to hire temporary workers this year would like to do so within the first quarter.

• Transition into a full-time job. According to CareerBuilder's research, 35 percent of the companies hiring temporary or contract workers this year have plans to hire them on a permanent basis. While there's no guarantee that a temporary or contract position will turn into full-time, it can give you a foothold into a company, offer a learning experience, and provide opportunities for networking and learning experiences that could lead to your next full-time position.

• Bolster your resume. Taking on a temporary or contract position helps you avoid gaping holes in your resume. Just as important, it also may give you an opportunity to develop new, current references who can vouch for your current work ethic and skill set as you continue your search for full-time employment.

Next: How To Structure Your Day When Working From Home

Stories from Glassdoor.com

nelsonhlcn

I'm Kay not Hi nelsonhlcn.

To britroc4

No temp agency will be honest with their employees. I was with one temp agency for over three years and received benefits awards etc. I was sent to one long term assignment, among other assignments. They sent several people out to that assignment. When they started going broke from the competition I was put on a no work available list fast. They were sued by some employees, that closed them for good. I was out of a job and told that My history references were no good from the former company because I had worked at the same client site as one of the plantiffs. Yep 2 years ater working at the same site as that guy (We didn't work together) I was suppossed to chase down this compleat stranger and convince him not to sue his employer. Their broke and I'm out of a job with a gap in my history no employer is going to believe. Yippy skippy

February 20 2012 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nelsonhlcn

I'm Kay not Hi nelsonhlcn.

My comment is simple: as usual careerbuilder is way off the mark. As one who has a heavy history with temp agencies, I can tell you that the cash inhand thing is ajoke it comes every 2 weeks or 1 permonth like any other company at much lower wages than fair market. The only reason employers are using temp. Co's. is because of the HUGE payroll costs and the HUGE Labor saving costs tha tgarners them a higher percentage from company work / sales Temping used to be an Honored industry. NOw it's just another way to screw the numbers around.

February 20 2012 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nelsonhlcn

why wont this darn thing let me sign in as me and not hi nelsonhlcn? my family and I share computersinternet and such to save money in this economy. I shoulkd be able to communicate under my own handle not hers. :(

February 20 2012 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hcitydave

Although there are temporary plusses to being a temp worker (cash in hand is one), the reason that temp jobs are booming is bottom line for the company. Many other posters have stated it already, companies hire temps, not just to fill the void during a peak time, but to get away from having to pay benefits. Some companies hire only part-time employees so they don't have to pay benefits, others hire permanent temps so they can get full-time hours out of the employees but avoid paying benefits. Now they are even hiring 'consultants' to fill managerial positions, IT positions and others so as not to pay benefits to the mid-to-upper tier positions. Benefits , as we know them, will eventually be something that only Senior Management will have access to. All part of growing the divide between the have and the have-nots.

February 20 2012 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
britroc4

You still need to be wary. After nearly 30 years in one industry, 17 with one English company then 4 more with their American agents, I found myself unemployed. I found a couple of jobs at smaller companies where, although grossly underpaid, I stayed until they went broke. I then decided to try temporary work. The company offered full benefits with paid vacations plus disability insurance which I paid into each month.
My first position was a 3 month contract which was completed uneventfully. At the end they asked me if I was willing to extend the contract another 18 months and oversee remodeling a whole department, at the end of which I would be hired full time as manager of the department .The project was completed in the allotted time well within the cost estimate. Nearing the end my supervisor started saying the offer was coming.
Then I got they were reshuffling management and when completed the offer would be made.
This went on for another 3 months during which time my supervisor got a new boss. This new man, in an attempt to cut costs, decided the department was too big so the temp. employee's contracts were terminated. My offer never materialized.
My next contract was found quickly, again for an initial 3 months. 1 month into it I had a serious car accident. The company I was at kept my contract open till I returned. This took 6 weeks then, although not completely ready, I returned to work. I had one arm in a sling and could only walk short distances with a limp.Within 2 weeks my contract was terminated.
At this point I didn't know how long it would take for me to get well so I inquired about the disability and was told there was a 90 day waiting period. My doctor seemed to think it would be a long time, if ever, before I could return to work. I waited 60 days then thought I should get the paperwork started so contacted my company asking for the longterm disability claim form to be sent. I was told my coverage had lapsed because I wasn't working. The premium I had paid while I was off would be returned. With no money incoming I had no choice but to work, the company just had suitable 6 month contract.
I started and the job involved a lot of walking round the shop, climbing over machines, and climbing stairs to retrieve stored drawings. It took less than 2 weeks to become obvious I couldn't do it anymore.
My Doctor advised me to apply for Social Security Disability which, when granted, was backdated to what would have been day 88 of the 90 days waiting for my disability. Now I wasn't eligible because I worked this less than 2 weeks and would have to work the waiting period again to be eligible.
This was 11 years ago. I haven't worked a day since and not seen a single penny from the disability insurance.

My point is, not all the temp companies are truthful either to the employer or to you.
Check them out carefully, get everything in writing and no matter how big they are don't trust them.
My company was one of the National big one

February 20 2012 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
redz

I can't agree more nbart. I have been a temp/contract employee for over 16 months. The poor training, lack of proper benefits, no to little authority amoung the fulltiem employees and the email abuse is rampent towards temp employees. All in all corporations/small business pays as much for a temp as they would for a full time employee,with the only exception being they don't pay benefits.....some temp agencies make as much as 18.00 an hour for the temp. While you get paid 10.00 to 12.00 an hour. Overhead most agencies are well est. they have they over head paid for by that time. Temp work should be regulated it's an industry that it's time has come for an evaulation. Time limits need to be imposed, in order to further stress the fact that the temp becomes part of the working solution and not a loose end. Temp workers are the new blue collar workers.

February 20 2012 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nbart

Temp jobs are merely a way for corporations to avoid paying benefits, a living wage and unemployment benefits. There's no excuse for companies the likes of 3M to start virtually every employee as a temp. It's disgusting and should be illegal.

February 20 2012 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tanadees

My last three jobs have transitioned from a temp agency to full-time work. Prior to my current job, I was sending out my resume to every company that I could think of with very few responses. I finally went with a temp agency, got my first placement, and was hired five months later (at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville). It's one of the easiest ways to get a job at VMC, which has one of the best benefit package of anyplace I've ever worked, and started me out at a great wage.
If you plan on making a career at a temp agency, there may not be a big advantage, since they offer no benefits. On the other hand, it can be a great way to get your foot in the door, as the article states.

February 20 2012 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dodie1990

Temporary work is a dodge to keep from paying anyone any benefits, ewither by the remp agency or the employer who will use them instaed of real employees. If you work for a temp agancy be prepared for low wages, no benefits, and a loy of moving around. You might get lucky and get a job offer because employers can screen through temp agancies and not be accused of discrimination.

February 20 2012 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael

there are no benefits to temp work today.these places are opening up everywhere there is a buck to be made.they make monet off yoou for doing nothing.and give you nothing.what a scam.i thought rent a centers were bad.

February 20 2012 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply