5 Occupations Disappearing Fast

Postal workerThe Bureau of Labor Statistics recently released its employment projections for 2010-2020. Some fields are expected to add jobs like crazy, like anything to do with health care, while others face a daunting shrinkage.

Technology is the biggest villain here: More things can now be done with fewer hands, and some jobs can be automated entirely. From sending mail to tilling the soil, new gadgets have upped our productivity, but at the expense of hundreds of thousands of American jobs.

So if you're choosing your career track, approach these occupational groups with caution:

mommabotz

Thanks emegan1 for sharing your thoughts with me. Yes these days the Receptionist requirements are outlandish and they want you to be a college graduate with certain degrees, etc...And then have the nerve to offer as little as $10.00 an hour.... I am more afraid for my future!
Have a great day and thanks again!

February 17 2012 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce

While your at it, why don't you add "school counselor." Being cut left and right to where there is so few a parent can't even get in to talk with one. The ones that are left are working 10-12 hour work days just to keep their heads above water.

February 16 2012 at 11:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Doryce

If the health industry is going to be such a boom, why couldn't I get a job as a medical assistant when I graduated the program with a 3.95 GPA and passed the certification exam in the 99th percentile? I will tell you why. I am too old, live too far away from the metropolitan area, had no experience beyond my externship. I may have white hair, but I also have a higher work ethic than many younger people and how about letting me decide what is too far.

February 16 2012 at 9:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Doryce's comment
Security Man

Hang tough! I got laid off at 54 years old when my plant shut down. Took me 6 years to finally get a "decent" job. Lots of grunt work in between, but I did make it. Now my employer doesn't want me to retire. Keep pluggin' and it will come. God bless and good luck to you!

February 16 2012 at 10:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mommabotz

I've just recently lost my job after 8 years in a law firm. For all those years, I was a receptionist that Microsoft Word and/or Excel was never required, requested or expected. I did light data entry among other duties and now that I don't have those computer skills, I can't even get a call back from all the resumes I've sent out from anywhere...Whatever happened to the "Human" Factor that gets brought to the table?? Do all these people want a robot or someone who can still tret people like human beings?

February 16 2012 at 8:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mommabotz's comment
emegan1

I went through the same thing. Now receptionist requirements include Microsoft Word, Excel and even Powerpoint. Funny thing they still want to pay $10 an hour to start. I wish you all the best. Keep your spirits up and if you can get some computer experience.

February 17 2012 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hman570

Save the Studabaker!!!!

February 16 2012 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricton738

World chaos caused by the computer, putting people out of jobs.

February 16 2012 at 8:40 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
kfidei

Judging from some previous comments, English and grammar teachers must also be a vanishing breed.

February 16 2012 at 8:14 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to kfidei's comment
Doryce

Don't forget spelling , and many couldn't write at all except for computers. In the third grade my son was shown an example and told to do it , " like this".

February 16 2012 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M

Much of spelling exited with phonics teaching, and now we have imperfect translation of voice to text. Among other glitches, it seems a very popular voice-to-text product is entirely missing grammar checking which is easily seen in the use of "then" and "than".
EXAMPLES: It is easier to speak then to type a text message. Use the time saved than to visit with your friends.

Many of the abbreviations used in texting are carried as well. HOW R U? YOUR GOOD? or UR GOOD?

February 17 2012 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linedrive99

I WISH MOST POLITICIANS WOULD DISAPPEAR,THEY HAVE RAPED THIS COUNTRY,AND FLUSHED THIS ONCE GREAT COUNTRY DOWN THE TOILET.

February 16 2012 at 7:19 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
some1inpa

How about getting rid of politicians jobs? Don't think they would be missed much.

February 16 2012 at 6:40 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to some1inpa's comment
joynerz

Haven't seen any effective politicians in a while now. Nothing but stalemate in Congress.

February 16 2012 at 9:50 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
irocker350

I spent several years in prepress work at various newspapers and my job disappeared in the late 80s, thought I would be doing that for the rest of my working life, went back into aviation but it just didn't pay very well, now I have a CDL and I can be real picky on the job I take, driving a truck sure has paid off and my "office" has some awesome views.

February 16 2012 at 6:24 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply