Tenn. Teacher Resigns After Video Shows Her Students Playing Violent Game

Mt. Juliet High School teacher resigns violenceA Tennessee teacher who resigned after video of her students participating in a hitting contest was posted on a popular video-sharing website says the split-second incident has ruined her career.

School officials confronted Mount Juliet High School teacher Kim Evans after video of one student slapping another during her Spanish class was posted on YouTube last week, The (Nashville) Tennessean reports.

"It's just something that happened in five seconds that ruined my career here," says Evans, who was suspended two days after the Feb. 1 incident and subsequently resigned. Evans said that she chose to quit rather than face possible termination.

The incident involved two boys who made a bet over a toy, and the loser agreed to be slapped by the other, according to the teacher. The YouTube video has been removed by the students who posted it, but the school made a copy, the newspaper says.

School officials who saw the video described conduct more serious among students than a spontaneous slapping, says school board member Vikki Adkins. She stood by the decision to accept Evans' resignation, despite protests by students who expressed sadness over the teacher's departure via Twitter.

Another news report also suggests that the student received more than a mere slap. Nashville TV station WSMV says the boys were involved in a game called "Take It Like a Man," which involves punching someone as hard as possible and resulted in the recipient getting a "busted lip."

Further, the news report says that 10 students in total were suspended for up to three days for either participating in the game or using their cellphones in class to record the incident. School policy bars unauthorized use of cellphones in the classroom.

The Tennessean notes that last week's incident wasn't the first time that Evans had caught the attention of the Wilson County Board of Education.

During an annual evaluation last year, Evans' performance was rated "unsatisfactory" by her principal, who cited her failure to properly manage her classroom.

Next: Teacher Accused Of Calling Haitian Student 'Chocolate Boy,' Faces Suspension

Stories from AskMen

Gary Jones

Imagine that this could happen in the home town of Charlie Daniels!!
In the movie Chinatown Jack Nicholson said "its Chinatown Jake".
Hey, its Middle TN, dont be supprised!!

August 27 2012 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stripedbass7

Bono mack wants $2 billion Tax payer Dollars to Study algae. Thats a whole lotta studying Bono Mack. The Bad people hang on like flys on ****, & the good ones leave voluntarily. VOTE BONO MACK & HER DO NOTHING POLITICS OUT ! STOP WASTING AMERICAS TIME & MONEY !

February 10 2012 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stripedbass7

WOW ! ok. i can see that. But What if a Republican said theyres TOO MUCH Waste, then asks for $2 Billion of taxpayer Money. To study algae. Vote out the Do nothing hippocrites. That should be the story here !

February 10 2012 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
petpetdonna

YouTube and all the people with video phones are destroying this country one video at a time.

February 10 2012 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darrell

Boys will be Boyz

February 10 2012 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neel Gause

I saved that kids life, and the mom was furious with me. Maybe she had an insurance policy $$$ on him.

February 09 2012 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neel Gause

Amazing how school systems are so quick to blame everything on the teacher & fire them, but so slow to do something when a student assaults a teacher or vandalized their car. (If the teacher is supposed to be able to control all the students every second, then the principal should be able to prevent the assaults & vandalism or else be fired.)

I had a student lean out of a window and immediately ran over (while demanding he get out of the window). He started to slide out head first, and I jerked him back in and landed him in his desk. The parent came to the school demanding that I be punished. (I hurt myself saving the kid when he was breaking rules.) I told the mom pulling hard was unintentional but I was trying to keep her child from falling on his head out of the window. She said she didn't care & she wanted me written up & punished. She said it was my fault, I should have the windows closed and bought a bunch of fans.

I said I was very sorry for seating him so firmly, but I thought I was lucky to land him in his desk instead of on the floor. I also said, that when I grabbled him he was falling out, I thought he was going to fall all the way out the window and land on his head on the concrete a story below. I said that he almost pulled me out the window too, but I didn't let go. And thank heavens his pants did not tear! (I had been forced to apolgize for grabbing her child that was not even hurt, I grabbed his clothing. The kid complained to mom in case I called - to trouble for him because he had mom mad at me already.)

I said I would be more than happy not to touch yell stop to her child ever -regardless of circumstances, since she objected to it. I said I knew she could & would prevent his future misbehavior or dangerous acts.

It was ridiculous. Students were supposed to stay off of and away from the windows. They knew they were not to be near, or lean on or sit on the window sills. *** I did not build the school with no air conditioning requiring windows to be open, and I certainly did not put in windows with the bottom so low in a middle school on the second floor.

The truth is 1) I watched my students like a hawk 24/7 2) Parents always blame the teacher & their kids know this & take advantage of it to push the envelope, knowing that their parent will blame the teacher no matter what they pull 3) There is no way a teacher can control the actions of 30+ children every second (parents can't even control their own kids in their car's backseat & they have the power to punish --we don't) 4) Kids that will pull the things do not come with a sign on their face so that a teacher will know which kid will act out or has a nail in their pocket ready to stab the butt of the student in front of them, or lean all the way out of the window. 5) Teachers cannot be in the hall monitering students and inside the classroom monitering those students at the same time, and they cannot see out the back of their head.

February 09 2012 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klasakt

All it takes is one incident like this or an accusation made by a student to ruin a career. We no longer teach in our schools, we baby sit. There are teachers that try to teach around this environment, but it is only a matter of time before they are gone. I wanted to be a teacher to show students that learning can be fun ... for the most part ... and can lead to interesting venues of knowledge. But all our government can come up with is "new and innovative" ways to teach the same subjects that in reality teach nothing. Sometimes ... a lot of times .. the straight forward way is the right way. Trying to "entertain" the students to learn is worthless.

February 09 2012 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Young

thats a ridiculous reason to be fired over when there are kids out there playing "rape tag". Of course no one ever accused people in the school system of being intelligent. People that can do people that cant teach.

February 09 2012 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula

sad sad sad. Back in the 'old' days, a teacher explained discrimination by using eye color, brown vs. blue. You were either in one group or the other. Point was made. The problem here is kids using phones in places not allowed.

February 09 2012 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply