They should fire the A$$ that fired him.

February 03 2012 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry Alexis

It just seems a bit extreme to fire him over this. There is WAY more to the story than meets the eye, there has to be. I think it has EVERYTHING to do with how much he was making. In my experience working at a grocery store he was making a whole lot of money. Probably more than the manager. The manager was probably told to cut payroll and was looking for an excuse to fire him. I am sure the corporation was in on it too.
It is all about the money.

February 03 2012 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annette Hammond

I think they should give him his job back(if he still wants it) Give him a raise,more vacation days.And GIVE him all the receipts that are left behind.

February 01 2012 at 6:45 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

To Redd816, Clearly the only idiot on this page is the person who thinks they know someone to the point of saying what that person would do in a given situation. First of all If I were in the mood to bend over and pick up a quarter, I would indeed leave it at the service desk. What they chose to do with it is up to them. I have broken things in stores and taken the item to the desk to pay for it. Not hide it or quickly run from the Isle like I was never there like so many do, Way back before cellphones If there were money in the public phone I was using, I would drop it back into the phone. Either you chose to do the right thing or you don't , and even though the amount this man stole is pathetic and petty, It is still employee theft he had been warned 3 times about. Now, I don't have a clue what retail operation you work for, Don't really care, But I will say with conviction most of the big boy retailers would fire you and the employee( s ) you allowed to keep found anything. Is it okay if a bank teller keeps finding and keeping change from the public area coin sorter?

January 30 2012 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sultry's comment
Larry Alexis

Really? You really do put money back in a pay phone? What a moron. Also I don't remember everything I was told NOT to do 8 years ago so I imagine he does not either. I really think you are working for the company or are the manager that fired him just trying to "save face"

February 03 2012 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The guy was fired because he was making $13 an hour and had 4 weeks a year of vacation pay. Some idiot in accounting decided lets fire this guy and replace him with a minimum wage guy that has no vacation pay. This was purely a financial decision on the stores part. It happens to workers all the time in this country and probably in other country's too. Is it fair no but it happens and it is how most businesses think. The 20 cents was just an excuse. In this case since the guy is handicapped it will probably cost the store big time in the end. In trying to save a buck Hyvee costs themselves a ton of money in bad publicity and future sales in the store. In this guy I say yeah for the little guy and I hope he wins sadly if he wasnt disabled he probably would have a case. Corporations use and abuse their workers all the time and get away with it - in this case even if they win the discrimination suit the corporation lost money in sales and legal fees which serves them right. In the old days people could go to work for a company and stay their entire life but now thanks to poor business practices and greed virtually no one ends there career working where they started their career.

January 28 2012 at 2:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to petersonentvt's comment

I absolutely agree with everything you said 100%, but you left out the fact of it still being theft. You know a lot of people don't see it as theft and think because of the amount it is okay, or should be overlooked. To those I say if a similar question has been before you in a job interview, you though you excelled in, and you have answered the way you have here, Now you know why you didn't get the job. One last thing Peteronentvt, In the old days, This guy would never have been hired.

February 06 2012 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sultry's comment

How was it theft? The store is automatically reimbursed by the state for all cans that were redeemed, including the ones associated with those tokens, so if they are claiming those tickets belonged to them, they are collecting twice. The tickets didn't belong to them any more than 20 cents dropped on the floor by a customer do. And since he didn't see who left the tokens behind, it's not as though the employee could give it back. Was it company custom to collect all tokens left behind and give them to charity or did they just appropriate them for themselves? As for this guy not being hired in the past, yes, you ae indeed corect. Back in the good old days you wouldn't be hired even if you could do your job and do it well if you were mentally disabled like this gentleman, or otherwise handicapped, or even, in many stores or businesses, if you were Black, or Jewish, or Hispanic or female, or.... Ah, the good old days. I can see you are just longing for them!????? The store offered a very begrudging offer of reimployment or I would suggest to him that he just take the job back and let it go, but as it is, they might just be planning to refire him in the future when the scrutiny stops.

January 30 2013 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down

if some one would find it ok what bs

January 28 2012 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

the store was waiting for an excuse to fire him. he had too much vacation and pay.

January 27 2012 at 4:18 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply

He was told he was not allowed to cash in left receipts. It would be one thing if the store then donated the left receipts to a charity but no they pocket it. Its not the same as taking money when cleaning someones car at a car wash as mentioned by one poster. The person at the car wash drives away with his money. The store plain and simple used this as an excuse to hire someone with no benefits and at a lower salary. Offer him the same job back. Give him a raise and publickly apologize. I love when they say we were within our rights. SHAME ON THEM, no heart.

January 27 2012 at 8:50 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tcoll10489's comment

You said it all with the following: He was told he was not allowed to cash in left receipts.

He was told the same thing 3 times. I think the mental capacity of 14 to 15 knows exactly what they are doing and right from wrong. What the store chooses to do with left tickets is their business not an employees or consumers. If everyone had what it takes to own or run a business they would, Not sit on the sidelines without an ounce of accountability telling others how and what they should do. Petty theft and employee pilferage is a serious problem in the workplace. Can't say the rules don't apply to you because your retarded.

January 27 2012 at 2:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Sultry's comment

Clearly you are an idiot. Twenty cents does not compare to the chopping of a child. I DO happen to work in retail and yes employee theft is a problem....however, if one of my employees found a quarter on the sales floor and put it in their pocket that would in no way be grounds for termination. And I'm sure if you found a quarter on the floor in a grocery store you wouldn't be running your ass to the service desk with it in case the owner came back. Be serious for godsake.

January 28 2012 at 12:18 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down

Learn how to spell before you insult someone. your = you're

August 08 2012 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down

Doesn't sound to me that he 'stole' anything. The employer is shameful for firing this person and needs to have his head examined. Better yet, have him trade places with this poor guy for a day and let him see what it's like to deal with this disability. All I can say about this is SHAME ON THIS GUY who fired him!

January 26 2012 at 7:35 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Mama Kat

This is horrible!!! Curt Sills, the manager if you can call him that, has a heart of stone and this little upstart needs to be horsewhipped. Kyle Dowie had been working at the store for 25 years!!! for God's sake, and from what I have read, the allegations could not even be proven--know why?? because it did not happen. Fire Sills and give Mr. Dowie his job back. DO THE RIGHT THING!!

January 26 2012 at 5:39 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply