Job Seeker's Expletive-Filled Cover Letter Gets Wrong Kind of Response

worst cover letter of all timeIf you've been unemployed for months, like many Americans, and applied to dozens of jobs, you may be understandably frustrated. One applicant apparently had so much frustration that pure, unadulterated vitriol overflowed onto his cover letter to a Houston-based creative agency.

Someone at that company reportedly sent a copy of the email to Gawker, in which the job-seeker writes:

"Good morning [REDACTED]

Attached is my resume, along with a few writing samples. If you have any questions, please feel free to f****** contact me at [REDACTED]. And if you don't im gonna be f****** p*****!! So come on stop b*********** and call me ;)
Thanks C***!"

The shamelessly sloppy grammar, gratuitous expletives, and unnerving use of a winkface emoticon to a recipient that the sender apparently assumed was female, as well as the fact that the resume and writing samples were not in fact attached, led Gawker to speculate that this was perhaps a "jokey draft."

Maybe the author intended it only for personal catharsis or to amuse his friends, but his finger slipped and clicked send instead. Regardless, given that the internship was in public relations and copywriting, he hasn't exactly proven his chops for the job.

Next: Workplace Discrimination: Not Just About Race Anymore

Stories from Personal Branding Blog

Dianna

Thanks for sharing useful information. The video pointed out a couple of areas where I’m going wrong. I take full benefit of it. Thank again, I really got a lot to learn from it…

March 21 2012 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cutnshotbiker

dumbass

January 18 2012 at 6:56 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Cyndi

Applicant failed to attach his criminal history to the cover letter as well. Probably exceeded the upload size limit.

January 18 2012 at 6:02 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Bill

It was certainly creative, and colorful too!

January 18 2012 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
genegene002

He sounds like a real GO GET ER! I think I just might hire this person!

January 18 2012 at 5:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAN KILLION

99 % percent of jobs on craigs list are scams to begin with...

January 18 2012 at 5:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thelatescottbaio

sorry claire gordon, this "Story" is probably 3 years old. maybe head over to snopes before you think chain emails are news

January 18 2012 at 5:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crabbie7

WHEN YOU ARE ON UEMPLOYMENT, ONE MUST NOTIFY COMPANIES KEEPING A LIST OF WHOM YOU HAVE CONTACTED....THEY LIKE UNEMPLOYMENT...I SINCERELY COULD NOT SURIVE ON IT,
COULD YOU?

January 18 2012 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

Probably the company did not acknowledge his original application. I've felt like sending a few letters like that out myself.

"...contact me at [REDACTED]. And if you don't im gonna be f****** p*****!! So come on stop b*********** and call me "

They didn't contact him and he's f****** p*****!!!

January 18 2012 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mjoutfit

...maybe he was framed...

January 18 2012 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply