Looking For A Government Career? Check Out These Top Federal Jobs

Goverment jobsBy Lori Michelle Ryan, JIST Publishing

Finding and obtaining any job with the federal government can be tough, but how do you know which are the most promising positions to seek?

Laurence Shatkin's new book, "150 Best Federal Jobs," breaks down the top federal jobs into several categories, including demographics, career clusters, geography and personality type.

Shatkin also offers the top federal jobs overall, based on a score calculated by pay, growth and number of openings. "This means that some jobs with low pay and modest growth but a high number of openings appear higher on the list than some jobs with higher pay and modest growth but a low number of openings," Shatkin explains in the book. "A 'right' job for you could be anywhere on this list."

The federal government has projected a 10 percent increase in employment through 2018 and offers good salaries and benefits, job security and flexible work schedules throughout the country. See which positions Shatkin ranked as the 10 best federal jobs:

Lori Michelle Ryan is the marketing communications specialist at JIST Publishing, America's Career Publisher. In this role, she helps job seekers, career changers, students and working professionals develop the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the job market and world of work.

Next: Stock Market's Stagnant Year Means Smaller Bonuses On Wall Street

Stories from Reader’s Digest

CareerBuilder

Editor

CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract their most important asset – their people. CareerBuilder.com’s team of career advisers, editors and writers are experts in job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues. Get daily job advice on www.TheWorkBuzz.com, follow CareerBuilder on Twitter at www.twitter.com/careerbuilder and become a fan of CareerBuilder on FaceBook.

la80136

Government jobs will be a thing of the past after the 2012 elections, I hope!

January 17 2012 at 12:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Camille

Financial Examiners make over $100,000??? With what agency? My mother did not make that much. Could the author of this article please site specific agencies. Thank you.

January 16 2012 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snorkelnut55

Don't kid yourself into thinking that it is easy to get on with the Feds. A few years ago I tried and finally gave up. Most of the jobs require a on-line exam which I usually scored in the top 1 percent. Then you wait maybe 3-6 months to get the results. Then you wait another 3-6 months to see if they are considering you. I once got a reply from them 1 and 1/2 years after I applied with them telling me I wasn't selected. So if you have the time to wait around for them to get off their duffs and reply to you, great. But most people don't have the time.Also had a father of a friend that took over 2 years from the initial interview to finally go to work for them.

January 16 2012 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimbolina1

Government jobs should never ever pay more than the civilian equivalent period.

January 16 2012 at 7:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jimbolina1's comment
Camille

Do you notice that they don't give specific agencies. I think the writer should have been more thorough because as a federal worker myself, they don't jive except maybe for the air traffic controllers.

January 16 2012 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leonard Thomas

I'd like people who make less to pay me $135,000 per year and great benefits, while I tell them that what they pay for is "top secret" even if it is theirs. Yuuup!

January 16 2012 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grundoboy

get on the obama train and work for the govt..it's for folks that can't do anything else...ie. democrats

January 16 2012 at 7:04 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to grundoboy's comment
wmechaneer

Not just Demlicans, but Republicrats as well. Both are little more than warring factions of the Big Government Party, seeking to enrich themselves in office while burdening us with an ever increasing, unelected "administrative branch" of government involved in unconstitutional "central planning."

Politicians are like underwear, if not changed regularly they develop a powerful stench, and can spread diseases.

January 16 2012 at 7:45 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
meileenoh

Just got two (2) rejections from the federal gov't for applications I submitted. Reason? Not my education, not my employment history - it was that I've turned 60. If private industry can be accused of age discrimination why is the government exempt? If I still am obliged to pay federal taxes, state taxes, local taxes, school taxes etc. than why is my age prohibiting my employment?

January 16 2012 at 7:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to meileenoh's comment
wmechaneer

Anything that promotes the expansion of government's "administrative branch" violates the very basis of the Constitution. More bloated bureaucracy ensures less persxonal liberty, and eventually leads to tyranny.

January 16 2012 at 6:54 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mountainlora

I wish I knew just what (true) percentage of people, in reality, would prefer a smaller government, rather than larger. (Those who work for the government don't get a vote.) My guess would be the majority, but that's only a guess. But too, majority implies number of people, whereas 1% wanting a Bigger government may be the majority in $. It's all wrong.

January 16 2012 at 6:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mountainlora's comment
wmechaneer

Those who feed at the public trough want it exponentially expanded, while those who are unconstitutionally bled to fill it have no say whatsoever.

Vote accordingly.

January 16 2012 at 7:50 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wmechaneer's comment
mountainlora

All this "vote accordingly" is not helpful. Republican, Democrat, Independent: they all play the same game and I'm only the token they move around the board. I personally don't think it matters; I have a problem with Congress (two teams fighting, nothing accomplished). No matter who is in office, the game is the same. It's not even their fault really. A true Good Guy could never get anything through Congress.

January 16 2012 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
myesha

Plz do not believe the hype federal employess do not make as much money as you would think. And another thing to the dingbat with the eliminate govt jobs comment. If that happen more than half of the things that are absolutely essential would be eliminated. Remeber all of these jobs are federally funded. Police officers , Fire Fighters, Teachers oh and how would you be able to operate a vehicle without DMV. Where would kids go to school. WHo would keep the big coporations from dumping toxic sludge in your backyard. Who would regulate health insurance companies from taking hardworking individuals money and telling them being pregnant is a pre- existing condtion they will not cover it. Do not fall for all of the political rhetoric you here think for yourself. Use common sense. And you wonder why if you ever need to call SSA or the IRS your on hold for 2 hrs. There is not enough employees.

January 16 2012 at 6:45 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to myesha's comment
jackpolk4

Agreed Myesha. I'm a Federal Employee just retired after my term.

January 16 2012 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mountainlora

While I understand what you are saying myesha, it is like emotional blackmail. The things you mention, Police, Firemen, Teachers etc. are always the FIRST things cut in a budget: those things the citizens are WILLING to pay for. It's all the other crap WE want cut. Show me a written budget and I'll slash whole departments that don't help the average tax-paying citizen at all. As just one example, I read over a decade ago about some ridiculous amount, I mean RIDICULOUS, that the government spent in printing costs to print "brochures" and "pamphlets" in seven different languages, all free pamphlets of course. But all I ever hear is "you shrink government, you lose Police and your safety."

January 16 2012 at 8:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 13 - April 20

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.