Lawsuit Accuses John Elway Car Dealership Of Racial Discrimination

John Elway Manhattan Beach Toyota racial discriminationFormer Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway has been named in a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination at one of his auto dealerships in Southern California.

The suit, filed Monday by former sales manager Timothy Sandquist, accuses the general manager of Elway's Manhattan Beach Toyota outlet of racial discrimination, harassment and maintaining a hostile work environment toward minorities, the Los Angeles Times reports.

In the suit, Sandquist, who is black, also alleges that he was paid less than his white peers and was repeatedly passed over for promotions and raises. He worked at the dealership for 11 years before resigning last year.

In addition to Elway and the dealership's general manager, Darrell Sperber, the suit names Elway's two business partners.

An attorney for the dealership denied the allegations and said the complaint contained many factual errors, the Times reports.

The lawsuit charges that Sperber created a hostile work environment through "rampant harassment and use of racial slurs."

Sperber allegedly encouraged dealership staff to make demeaning and vicious racist comments about non-white customers who chose not to purchase a vehicle, according to a statement released by the law firm representing Sandquist.

Sandquist is seeking unspecified damages that include back pay and punitive damages, according to the Times report.

Next: Pepsi Beverages Pays $3.1 Million In Racial Bias Case

Stories from Reader's Digest

snrar

Instead of race relations in this country getting better they seem to be worse since Obama has been in office and it is not because of white voters it is because of black voters . It is all about in your face attitudes about everything and claiming racism about everything . I'm tired of the whole mess myself because you hear it everyday non stop .

December 15 2012 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mitsupondshop

Darrell Sperber is far from being a racist. He opened the books to me and made me a sales manager at 25 yrs old. Not only that, but, as unpopular as that decision was amongst his peers he continued supporting my efforts with extensive training and advice. He was a great owner it was a family atmosphere at Darrell's Mitsubishi Dealerships. As for Elway, I passed over working at his Toyota dealership in ontario because he runs a tight ship. For example, today right out of the blue sky management would say, "no one can wear yellow shirts." So if you came to work that day in a yellow shirt you had to go home change and miss opportunities to sell a car. The Toyota dealership was very competitive and want to beat Longo Toyota every month so it was an extreme atmosphere. But, I will say this even though Elway's Toyota Dealership was a pit to work in they paid very well. As a car salesman in a dealership i noticed one thing if you want what everyone else has you should probably know what everyone else knows. I say that to say this, a compensation package should never be negotiated without a definate disclosure statement of an automobiles cost/profit breakdown which should include ALL pages.

February 02 2012 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danthraxdaily

Sorry to say, but Elway's a pimple on the ass of pro football. He may be a star professionally in a GAME, but i know this is a true story, and surely he is behind what his dealership condones...i knew his ex girlfriend, Playmate Carrie Stevens, who was Playboy's Miss June 1997. I recall hearing tell of him telling her to fire her Brazilian and Black nanny, who happened to also be gay, so that he could make sure she hired a more "presentable" White nanny, and also I recall hearing him speak disparagingly of Black football players and of anyone who dated Black men. This is definitely a man who is a raging racist, and some people are simply fans and don't want to believe it and they turn their heads. I certainly hope justice is done and that the victim's counsel finds out everything there is to find out about Elway. No matter WHO you are or what you've done with a football, racism is WRONG and inequality is always horrific.

January 18 2012 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big Daddy

What took him so long? I don't think anything happened. Sounds like a disgruntled employee to me.

January 13 2012 at 4:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
chuck

rob and nat it sounds like you are the racist one,wow

January 13 2012 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chuck's comment
ROB AND NAT

I thought I would get a comment like you posted, but before you call me a racist, why dont you read what I posted, I stated many white members of society come for decent loving, families, that respect interactions from all races of people. That means that I am not a racist, I directed my comment to the people on this chat posting racist comments about this innocent man. Get your facts straight before you post. And I am a white American if you care to ask!

January 15 2012 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ROB AND NAT

I find the race issue in America to be overwhelming at times. White's here in America really try to act innocent of racism, like it just does not exist. That is the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard. The comments by whites are so obvious; you can pick them out even if you’re blind. HOW do you know this man was not treated unfairly, and if he has worked at a job for 11 years, I am sure he could as you say “CUT IT??” I find the lack of intelligence from whites in America to be amazing, even showing a sense of madness. The things you have done to other races of people should make you hide your faces. You murdered Indians who helped you survive; you murdered Chinese immigrants who helped build railroads, and the infrastructure of America. White’s kidnapped African people, took them on ships, and called them slaves, to build up their economy, then released them from their criminal capture, into a society that hated them for no reason at all. You whites have no freaking reason to hate African Americans; they have over 300 years worth of hatred build up for you and your ancestors, who passed along your ignorance, and brutality. Some whites are good by nature, and come from solid families that are respectable, and cherish relationships between all humans, but a lot of you are just plain stupid, and hateful. You sit in your homes at call African Americans, and other races horrible names, and you pass that crap down to your children to keep the hate cycle going. I direct this message to you! That man has every right to stand up for himself, and if he has been treated unfairly based on his race, he has every right to defend his position. Whites in the country have a sense of owner ship, and you love to call other races lazy, but who is the truly lazy one's, the people who had to kidnap other races of people to do the work they should have done for themselves, or the people whose ancestors were kidnapped, history erased, and taken to a land they never asked to be a part of. The next time you see an African American, try shaking their hand, and telling them thank you for their family’s service in helping create your so called great nation of bias, hateful, murderess, lying cheating, and snake people.

January 13 2012 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fcaom

We accuse Elway of selling Toyota, we accused Tebow of being a christian, but yet we don't know if we have a president that is a legal American. Hmmm....

January 13 2012 at 8:59 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
dueceontwo

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Both Black and Whites.You know what I'm talking about.

January 13 2012 at 8:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
john pezzullo

Elway and Toyota, SHAME, SHAME

January 13 2012 at 8:27 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to john pezzullo's comment
craig

Shame, Shame?...Let me think he has hired a number of employees, pays taxes, helps keeps the ecomony going. Whats the shame in that?

January 13 2012 at 9:01 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bruce.renwick

In todays buisness and corproate environment there is no room for racisim. If people do there job they do there job! That is what buisness needs. It is when people don't do there jobs that they have problems with promotions and pay increases, it is not anything else. This guy is not good enough for a promotion an this car dealership so now he is a victim? I think not. Good luck with another phony "I am a victim" lawsuit. He may get away with it in the great Peoples Republic of California. I don't see how anyone can do buisness in that mess.

January 13 2012 at 8:18 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply