Competition is tougher than ever in the workplace whether looking for a promotion or re-entering the job market. And if you're carrying an extra 15, or more lbs., you may find yourself faced with weight discrimination. Research from Yale University's Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity reported that weight discrimination increased 66 percent from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s. Rebecca Puhl, the Rudd Center Director of Research and Weight Stigma Initiatives, reports "Our research shows that obese workers are less likely to be hired and less likely to be promoted."
There's no easy way to put this... but those who are overweight are also perceived as being 10 or more years older than their actual age! Good news is, it's a new year and losing weight is one of the most common resolutions. You are not alone my dear friend! There are many safe and effective options to help you lose weight, improve your health and increase energy. Below is a guideline to help jump start your weight loss program.
1. The key to eating healthy is to make delicious tasting food with the "best" ingredients such as pesticide-free colorful veggies and fruits, hormone free meats, low-fat cheeses, and poultry, non-hydrogenated fats, and substituting low-glycemic sweeteners such as agave nectar, natural xylitol, or stevia for refined sugar.
2. Re-Learn Healthy Food Portions: Rather than weighing food, try eyeballing portions of protein, fruits, veggies, grains and fats you will consume. Use a deck of cards as a guideline for protein portion sizes, a tennis ball as a guideline for fruit and grain portions, and your thumb as a guideline for eyeballing fats. Below I've listed some healthy choices for each food group:
Protein: Eyeball one protein portion equal to the length, width and height of one deck of cards. Protein helps maintain lean muscle. The more muscle you maintain, the faster you'll burn fat. Protein choices include: egg whites, lean meat, fish, poultry, low-fat Greek yogurt and low fat cheese. Vegetarian protein sources include: beans, tofu, tempeh, low-fat coconut or Greek yogurt and low fat cheese.
Vegetables: Eyeball vegetable portions equal to the size of TWO tennis balls. Choose high fiber romaine or mixed green salad, green beans, artichokes, sweet potatoes, asparagus, celery sticks and tomatoes.
Fruits: Eyeball fruit portions equal to the size of ONE tennis ball. Choose low-glycemic fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or apples.
Whole Grains: Eyeball grain portions equal to the size of one tennis ball. Choose whole grains such as quinoa (also high in protein & gluten-free), steel cut oatmeal, brown rice, bran muffin, wheat or quinoa pasta or high fiber cereals such as Total or Kashi.
Fats: Eyeball fat portions equal to the size of your thumb or one level tablespoon. Choose cold-pressed olive, non-GMO canola, flax seed or walnut oil.
Nuts: Eyeball heart-friendly nut and seeds portions equal to the size of your thumb. Choose ground flax seeds (sprinkled over yogurt, oatmeal or cereal), walnuts (sprinkled over salad), almonds, flax seed or almond butter, avocado.
Note About Nuts: Purchase nuts that are in sealed bags or containers. And steer clear of nuts and seeds sold in bulk bins as studies have proven that they are prone to contain molds and public germs. Store nuts in zip lock bags or air tight plastic containers and keep them in the refrigerator. I like Glad plastic containers because they are BPA-free so chemicals will not leak into foods. See more about BPA-plastics for foods in my blog articles at LouisaGraves.com. I posted an entire list of safe cellophane wraps and containers found at your local grocery store.
3. Consume More Fiber: A special type of fiber called PGX promotes weight loss by filling the stomach without added calories. When combined with water, PGX expands in the stomach to provide a feeling of fullness, so you eat less food. It's effective in reducing appetite and enhances weight loss. Find PGX Daily Ultra Matrix Soft gels by Natural Factors at a local health food store.
4. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily. Water binds with fiber to flush toxins and fats from the system. Not drinking enough water may cause dehydration, bloating or constipation and will prevent weight loss.
5. Avoid diet sodas – they make you crave MORE food. Instead drink herbal teas such as peppermint, chamomile, green, earl grey, etc. Peppermint tea help reduce gas and bloating so it's an excellent choice if that is a challenge for you. The best cold drinks is water with lemon slices or try adding one tsp. fruit sweetened cranberry juice to a glass of cold water. It tastes great without consuming too many calories.
6. Start each meal with a cup of green tea. Many studies reveal that green tea is thermogenic, meaning it helps you burn more fat. Don't like the taste of green tea? Consider taking all-natural herbal Thermo Green Tea Capsules with breakfast and lunch. Thermo Green Tea caps do not cause anxiety or jitteriness and they contain no added caffeine or ephedra.Green tea can also help prevent colds, the flu and some cancers. Find all-natural herbal Thermo Green Tea Capsules at my shop in the Weight Management Section at my shop at HollywoodBeautySecrets.com.
7. For those allergic to gluten and flour products: Choose gluten-free Food for Life Brown Rice breads, corn or rice tortillas, quinoa pasta (made with corn & quinoa), or rice pasta – though quinoa pasta is closest in texture and taste of real pasta. I love it!
8. Take advantage of this special offer! If you don't have time to cook or have a hectic work schedule, right now, you can have delicious low-carb meals and snacks delivered right to your home! Try it for one or two weeks, or an entire month! To do so, Michael McDonnell, Co-Founder at Chef's Diet, is offering a deep discount and free meal days when you sign up for delivery service! To take advantage of this offer, note "AOL Jobs / Chef's Diet Discount Offer 2" when you email email@example.com. You can also call him at 917-902-2735, mention the code, and he will personally answer all your questions, give you a special discount, and set up your menu. How's that for great service?
Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now
Stories from Reader's Digest