Convenience Store Clerk Fired For Letting A Robber Steal Too Much

robbed gunpoint firedGetting robbed at gunpoint can be a pretty traumatic experience. But even worse? Getting robbed at gunpoint and then fired the next day. This misfortune befell one Massachusetts convenience store clerk, who was let go the day after a holdup because he had left too much cash in the register.

A few days before Christmas, a man came into a Cumberland Farms store in Ludlow at around 10 p.m., held a handgun to Douglas Moore's face, and said "give me everything you got," according to Moore. The man took between $100 and $150.

Cumberland Farms' policy is that a maximum of $75 can be kept in the register at any time, in order to provide a "safer environment," it said in a statement, and "to act as a deterrent to crime." The convenience store chain says that this rule has evolved through over 70 years of experience.

Moore (pictured above) claims that he made several trips to the safe that evening, but the register kept loading up with cash. "It was actually very busy," he told local television station WGGB. "People were buying lottery, gift cards, so it was hard to keep track of the drawer and do all my other responsibilities."

But his excuse didn't cut it. On the morning after the robbery, his boss asked him to come to the store, Moore thought it was to check that he was OK. But after about two years of working there, Cumberland Farms let him go.

Cumberland Farms said that its policy had to be "close to zero tolerance," and that Moore "was absolutely not terminated because he was a victim of a robbery, or because the company suffered a financial loss due to the robbery."

But by all other accounts, Moore seems to have been a diligent and dedicated employee. He was putting himself through school, and would work between 36 and 40 hours a week, at less than $9 an hour, reported The Republican.

"I'd be there even if it was morning," said Moore. "I'd close the store sometimes and go back at 5 in the morning, a couple hours later, to cover for somebody."

Many community members are deeply upset over Cumberland Farms' decision. One woman even announced that she would boycott all the chain's stores.

Moore, on the other hand, is trying to move on. He told The Republican newspaper that he has interrupted his studies, so that he can dedicate his time to finding a job. "Unemployment is not for me," he said.

A TIME LOST

i just want all you cumberland farm guys to know that i will never go into one of your stores again. if that doesn't affect your bottom line more than the lousy 150 dollars you lost on this robbery, i don't know what will. it was wrong to fire this kid. he took a gun to the head and you reward him by firing him? wawa is my store of choice now even though i have to go further to get there. how much more money do you think you are going to lose from making this brilliant decision?

February 25 2012 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Network God

Y'know the stupid thing about that decision (to fire the clerk)...

It's going to cost several thousand dollars to hire and train a new clerk. Even for a simple job like convenience store clerk, there are so many stupid little rules and company policies that it takes time and energy and lots of money to train the "new guy". Cumberland Farms...was it worth it to spend thousands enforcing a company policy that would have saved you about 50 bucks??? Let me tell you, nobody outside of that specific store learned anything from this. And the guy who was fired? He was the only person who probably WOULD strictly follow the policy now. Ironically.

February 22 2012 at 4:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
reneesteinberg

Cumberland Farms should rehire this man immediately. He risked his life and I've worked in a convenience store that also sold lottery, grocery items, etc. and it could be very easy to be $30-$50 over for a short time before being able to "deposit" the money in the Safe Box. He was only trying to do a good job and keep the "line" moving to bring more money into a store that barely pays above minimum wage while putting himself through school. Shame on Cumberland Farms!!

February 22 2012 at 4:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Neil

I would not go near a cumberland farm store until they give the man his job back,the people who hire and fire for these very dangerous and under pressure jobs are perfect (AHOLES) they have no heart and more than likely no soul ! I doubt they will ever miss that extra measly $75.

February 22 2012 at 4:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
booboofann

An ex-boyfriend of mine was robbed and shot while working at a 'full service gas station' (remember them?). The company fired and then sued him for the 'extra' money that was stolen. He had been too busy to make the drop in the floor safe.

February 22 2012 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michaelc2b

That is ridiculous. Poor guy. He should get a lawyer.

February 22 2012 at 4:14 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Keith

I will never go into another Cumberland Farms to buy anything because of this BS!

February 22 2012 at 4:06 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Ken Atwood

Cumberland Farms? Those bastards are still in business?

I worked as a store manager for that lousy outfit around 1970. Nothing you could do was ever good enough for them. I made $200 a week SALARY, and worked up to 80 hours a week at times. I never worked less than 50. They had an area manager by the name of Nick, if I recall, and he was a JERK. Never nice to me or my help. Ever. If you cleaned the store well enough to eat off the floor, he'd say it didn't shine enough.

My help quit one after the other because of him, and of course, I had to work the hours they would have. He came in one day and chewed my ass out over some trivial thing. When I tried to defend myself, he told me that he'd punch me in my effing mouth if I said anything more, then fired me.

I never saw another dime of money I was owed.

It's long in the past now and I've since moved 1500 miles from there, but never do you forget it when you work for a ******* company like Cumberland Farms. I feel for this guy. I truly do.

February 10 2012 at 11:56 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Crystal L.

I previously worked at a Sudden Service and usually had more in the drawer then was supposed to be in there simply because I worked the night shift alone. For all you people who don't know, before you make a safe deposit you pull the money out of the drawer, count it in plan sight, and then make the drop into the safe. This is how you balance your drawer at closing and ensure you are not over/short any money. If a store stays busy, what moron would pull out a wad of cash and tell customers "hey can you wait for me to ring you up until I count out this money?"

And to comment on Livia, what kind of racist are you?? You saw this guys picture and assume that because he was working when he got robbed it was his fault bc "97% of the time the clerk knows the robbers?" Ok, how about I be racist for a minute and tell you that I know for a fact you are not white and you do not speak proper English. You are ignorant and the US doesn't need your intolerance....

February 10 2012 at 10:39 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Another Masswhole

I worked for "Cumbies" years ago. They blame their employees for everything...this doesn't surprise me. They withheld a paycheck due to me after I quit saying my balance sheet was off $73.00 after a 11months of employment....what bunk.

Retail "convenience" is hell.

February 10 2012 at 3:04 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply