Papa John's Cashier Fired For Offending Asian Customer

Papa John's Lady Chinky EyesLess than a month after a Chick-fil-A cashier issued receipts to two Asian customers, affectionately dubbing them "Ching" and "Chong," another fast-food eatery has pulled the old "offend your Asian customers, middle-school-style" trick. On Saturday, Minhee Cho uploaded a snap of her Papa John's receipt to Twitter, where her name was listed as "lady chinky eyes."

The internet has empowered consumers in many ways, whether it's making price comparisons, scoring discounts or writing reviews. And social media has become the latest weapon in the consumer's arsenal of self-defense. Customers simply take a photo of the evidence, post it to Facebook or Twitter, and waitstaff everywhere are reminded that the thrills of casual racism probably aren't worth the cost. The cashier at Chick-fil-A was fired, as was the Papa John's employee. The pizza place has also issued a formal apology to Cho.

But it's not just customers who use technology to shame crazy offensive servers. Servers use it, too, to shame crazy offensive customers. When a customer paid his check and left for his server -- instead of a monetary tip -- the helpful advice, "P.S. You could stand to loose [sic] a few pounds," the server posted it to Facebook, and local bars posted a photo of the purported customer, to embarrass him, on their doors. (Unfortunately, the picture was of another man with the same name).

It's good to know that the internet is keeping us civil, maybe in at least one respect.

Next: Powerful Men In Business, And The Creative Women They Woo

Stories from Personal Branding Blog

PaullyLama

It's not even funny and it's unprofessional.

March 11 2012 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JPFeltersnatch

I can't stand what's happening in this country. If you get offended by something a high school kid put on your receipt to hopefully get some laughs and make some friends at his new job, shut up. Eat the pizza and enjoy it. It's called being funny, even if you don't think it is. Let people try. I HATE women, and this is a perfect example of why. If it was a guy that noticed this , he would laugh. IF he WAS offended, he would crumple that receipt up and toss it out the window whilst cursing. This kid should not have been fired. They should have said he was fired to please whatever stupid organization was after them and kept him on. I'm a fan of this kid. It's funny! If you're offended...good. LIVING WITH ALL THIS FREE SPEECH MEANS THAT SOMETIMES YOU GET OFFENDED. Deal with it.

March 02 2012 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Owen

i got fired from papa johns for things that never happened... was living in my car.. in kehei, ohau, usa

February 05 2012 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommarytom

I was at papa johns last week and I saw on my receipt, it says "guy cracker eyes". what is up with this shitty company. not going to give them my business anymore!

February 01 2012 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T REXX

i think asian girls are hot ..never viewed asians any differently then blacks or spanish ...just people..just people

January 10 2012 at 6:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smithdeane

oh no I lost my DEAD END JOB -- whatever will I do ? people are strange , did they add cat or dog or ask if she wanted sushi or rice on it , No , get over it , And lady they are considered ***** eyes , as a genetic trait , I guess it should've been Madame CE .

January 10 2012 at 6:07 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Mark Powell

mee luv u long time joe

January 10 2012 at 5:56 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
alfredschrader

People call me anything including Alfred E. Newman. Just spell it right on checks and stock certificates and I'm happy....Alfred-

January 10 2012 at 5:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bjbraxy

And if the cashier's were Asian, would it have been ok then? I tell my children, if somone says something to you and it's not true, then you know it's not true..the person who said it looks stupid, if it is true, then let it go it's true. Who says or made up that "chinky eyes" is a bad thing? Personally, I'd be proud and say, "YES, I DO have Chinky eyes!!!! Thank you!"

January 10 2012 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bjbraxy's comment
bjbraxy

PS No one can offend you without your permission.

January 10 2012 at 2:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JayveeRhapsody

Just about everything in life is "offensive". Get over it.

January 10 2012 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply