Woman's Lawsuit Accuses Cop of Issuing Ticket, Then Asking Her Out

police officer speeding ticket dateIf an admirer leaves a handwritten note on your car windshield, asking you out, it can be cute or creepy. When that admirer is a police officer who issued you a speeding ticket, and then searched through motor-vehicle records to find your address, it falls more into the creepy camp. At least that's according to a woman who is now suing the allegedly amorous cop for violating her privacy, her civil rights and the Driver's Privacy Protection Act.

Chris Collins, a police officer in the Chicago suburb of Stickney, Ill., pulled Evangelina Paredes over on Oct. 22 and gave her a $132 speeding ticket, according to the woman's lawsuit as reported by The Associated Press. He then allegedly used the ticket to hunt through records and locate her address. Paredes said that she found an envelope from Collins on her car, which was parked near her house. The note read:

Hello,

It's Chris I'm that ugly bald Stickney cop who gave you that ticket on Saturday. I know this may seem crazy and you're probably right, but truth is I have not stopped thinking about you since. I don't expect a girl as attractive as you to be single, or even go for a guy like me but I'm taking a shot anyways.

Because the truth is I'll probably never see you again un-less I do, and I could never forgive my-self. Listen if I never hear from you I understand, but hey I did cost you $132 least I can do is buy you dinner. Little about me real quick I just turned 27, did 4 years in the Army, and been a cop for just over 3 years. Hope to hear from you one way or another. Thanks!!!

Some could interpret this as a bold, romantic gesture. Paredes interpreted it as a terrifying invasion of her privacy, and an officer's attempt to exploit his authority to get her to agree to go out with him.

"The letter caused plaintiff to suffer great fear and anxiety," the lawsuit states. "Plaintiff could not believe that a police officer would use his access to her personal information to find her home and stalk her. She instantly felt unsafe in her own home and feared for her safety and the safety of her children."

Under the Driver's Privacy Protection Act, officers can only use personal information to carry out the functions of the police department. Getting a hot date is not one of them.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages. The Stickney Police Department's attorney, Paul Rettberg, said it would be inappropriate to comment, as he wasn't yet aware of all the details of the case, and that he doesn't know whether any action had been taken against the officer.

Next: Woman Allegedly Fired For Reporting To Jury Duty

Stories from 24/7 Wall St.

Dak Broadbent

"Hope to hear from you one way or another. Thanks!!!" I wonder if getting subpoenaed fulfilled that hope?

January 26 2012 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BHimchak

STUPID COP for ABUSING his authority and position. Fire his ass. Being former Navy Police we were "grilled" in the use of "abusing authority and position" and never cross those lines. If your "inner" self tells you..."don't do it"....then DON'T DO IT. He even said in his note he "probably shouldn't be doing this" (but did anyway???) A clear sign he doesn't use his head (except to decorate his shoulders). Total MEATHEAD and LIABILITY. "IF" he really wanted to ask her out....he should've done so in a DIFFERENT Setting.

Looks like he's desperate .... and now he'll STILL be desperate and NO JOB.
He should've stayed in the Army for "more (common sense) training"

January 05 2012 at 11:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cntrykeepsake168

Who do we call when we need help? or when were in trouble and need protection? the police thats who! All he done was wrote her a letter and asked her out, she should be flattered she had that kind of effect on someone. It would be different if it was an everyday joe blow, but hes a cop you cant get any safer then that! and his letter plainly stated all she had to do was say no,! get a grip!

January 05 2012 at 4:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cntrykeepsake168's comment
ebc1973

What a joke! The Police, help us? While people are getting raped, robbed, and murdered, the cop you need is hiding like a coward in a bunch of bushes with his silly radar gun. Just remember, when you are in your house, and a home invader is beating down your door to get in, the cop you need is generating revenue for the city/county/state. When seconds count, the police are always minutes away! Protect yourself! Get a few guns, a concealed carry permit, and you are now a LOT safer than you would be relying on those clowns!

January 11 2012 at 5:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pearson

Americans are sooo DUMB! Too much TV, too many video games, too many benefits and a bullshit school system.
So you think life is like those romantic comedies that you watch all day? Police dating citizens at gunpoint?
Next time you see a Policeman from the Police FORCE remember his job is (ultimately) to kill you if you don't obey him or any dumb stupid law that he is called on to enforce. The word is "force".

January 15 2012 at 2:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
girliusmaximus

If that really is what happened then I think that officer is creepy... You give someone a ticket then turn around and use your position for personal gain to do what amounts to stalking so you could ask her out? I have this image of the guy lurking somewhere in the bushes as I type. The freaks really do come out at night... Do I think she should sue? Not really. Should she be creeped out? Definitely.

January 04 2012 at 6:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
non

Why sue? All she need to do is say no. If he continues his advancements, then she should file a complaint

January 04 2012 at 6:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to non's comment
The JillyBean

He broke the law. A law that had to be created because law enforcement personnel were looking up information for personal use, that they should have had the common sense not to in the first place.

When I was in college fifteen years ago, a girl in my tennis class had a similar incident happen. Another student who worked in the local police department (his coursework was for becoming a cop), took her name and looked her up in the system. Then came back to school and told her about it. It completely freaked her out, and back then they hadn't written the anti-stalker laws or the drivers protection laws.

January 04 2012 at 6:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Louis

If he wasnt bald and was better looking, she would have went out with him.

January 04 2012 at 6:04 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeff Louis's comment
Butch

"gone", not "went".

January 04 2012 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wm Kabrich

PCism is going too far. The guy just thought she was cute and asked her out all she had to do was say no, it says so in his note. People are just to sue happy these days. I mean I have people at work who I think are cute but because I am a supervisor I can't even make a comment that they look nice when they dress well for fear of being called into HR for sexual harassment.

January 04 2012 at 5:41 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Wm Kabrich's comment
fashionland3000

I agree

July 24 2013 at 5:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Manas

He should not have asked her for a date and dinner. An apology with flowers would have been sufficient to express his intent and not it to such a personal level using information from a DMV database. I am guessing he might still make a date and dinner with the woman after she has disciplined him, cost his job and extracted the speeding ticket expenses from law enforcement department.

January 04 2012 at 5:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Manas's comment
Pearson

And after they get married (big white wedding) and divorced two weeks later she can get his house and car

January 15 2012 at 2:44 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Our news has been reporting this story for a few days now but never said the city or state. Finally I've tracked it down and it's not my state and thank goodness for that. It was very unprofessional for that officer to "approach" this woman like that. Just to wonder if he's been sitting in the shadows somewhere outside her home waiting and watching her coming and going which he probably has is unnerving. With all these dating sites nowadays you'd think people would be content to pick and choose a date from one of them. I hope she gets some kind of remedy from the courts. You never know what kind of person he is.

January 04 2012 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply