Look And Feel Good Series: Holiday Baking With Healthy Sugar Substitutes
The holiday season is here, and 2012 is just a few days away. So keep in mind that you want to look and feel your best, especially if planning a new career path in 2012.
If you love to indulge in holiday cookies and desserts, you likely already know that consuming sugary treats causes spikes in insulin levels which can lead to weight gain and health issues such as diabetes. The good news is that you can still enjoy baking delicious desserts by simply substituting high-glycemic sugar with any one of the following low-glycemic, healthy sugar substitutes. You can even use them in coffee, tea, and on oatmeal:
1. Xylitol is a healthy natural sweetener that tastes and looks like real sugar, but does not raise blood sugar. Its low-glycemic, helps prevent cavities and is an excellent sugar substitute for those looking to watch their waistline or those challenged with, yeast infections or diabetes. It's 100% natural, gluten-free and non-GMO. I like the brand XyloSweet, available at health food stores.
One Tsp. = 9 calories
2. Agave Nectar is a natural healthy sugar substitute tastes a bit sweeter than honey, so you'll use less. Agave contains anti-inflammatory properties so it is a good choice for those with lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia or MS, as the rest of us too! Many anti-aging experts claim that sugar causes inflammation that causes the appearance of aged-looking skin. Agave digests more slowly than sugar so it prevents spikes in insulin.
One Tsp. = 6 calories
3. Truvia is a natural zero calorie sweetener that is made from stevia, an herb. Keep in mind that it's sweeter than sugar so you'll need far less of this healthy sugar substitute. Use it in hot or cold beverages, on oatmeal, fruit bowls, and baking.
One Tsp. = 0 calories
Need to drop pounds quickly? Take advantage of this special offer just for AOL Jobs visitors! If you need help with quick and healthy weight loss, eating low-carb meals and snacks is THE fastest way to go. Right now, you can have delicious low-carb meals and snacks delivered right to your home! And this is a service that you can afford. My husband and I do this every January for a few weeks. It gets us on back on track each new year. The food is delicious, plus we don't have to shop for groceries, plan or cook meals. It's convenient and healthy. Try it for one week or two, or an entire month!
Michael McDonnell, Co-Founder at Chef's Diet, is offering AOL Jobs readers a DEEP discount and free meal days when you sign up for delivery service! To take advantage of this offer, note "AOL Jobs/Look and Feel Good Series" when you email firstname.lastname@example.org and he will personally answer your questions and help get you set up.Don't forget that you can find deeply discounted, paraben-free skin care products at the lowest prices at my web site, HollywoodBeautySecrets.com.
Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now
Stories from Come Recommended
- How To Be The Perfect Job Candidate
- 3 Networking Don'ts For Online & Social Presence
- Gen Y: Entrepreneurs While Still In College