What To Expect From The Job Market In 2012

new jobs job market in 2012By Matt Ferguson, CEO of CareerBuilder

In getting America back to work, the bottom line has been and will continue to be slow and steady growth. Recovery has been gradual since mid-2009, and it will persist in this way over the course of the next year.

But that doesn't mean 2012 won't be positive for the job market.

Each year, CareerBuilder asks employers about their hiring plans for the next 12 months. This year, we polled more than 3,000 hiring managers. Of those polled, 23 percent plan to hire full-time, permanent employees in 2012, while 16 percent plan to cut back staff levels. While these numbers are about even with employers' 2011 predictions, they're a marked improvement from recent years past. For example, at the end of 2008, just 14 percent of employers planned to hire new employees in 2009, while 16 percent planned to cut staff levels.

There's also a good chance that actual hiring in 2012 will be better than employers' initial predictions.

Historically, companies have been reserved in anticipating future hiring needs. Follow-up surveys done by CareerBuilder throughout the year typically find that employers hire more and downsize less than initially foreseen.

Small business shows promise

Additional hope for the 2012 job market comes from an uptick in the number of small businesses that plan to hire next year. Sixteen percent of companies with 50 or fewer employees plan to bring on additional full-time staff next year, a 2 percent jump over 2011. Better still, 20 percent of companies with fewer than 250 employees and 21 percent of companies with fewer than 500 employees also reported plans to add staff next year. Both are increases over 2011 forecasts.

Small businesses provide about half of the private sector jobs in the U.S. and have accounted for about 65 percent of the total job creation in the past two decades, so much of the hope for the job market rests in the hands of these companies.

Job market trends for 2012

A number of trends emerged from the survey data that will impact the labor market throughout 2012. Among them:

1. Workers will seek new opportunities: As the economy improves, workers will begin looking for better job opportunities. Thirty-four percent of employers surveyed said that voluntary turnover was higher at their organizations in 2011 than in 2010, and 43 percent are concerned that it will continue to rise in 2012.

2. Employers will ramp up efforts to keep their current employees and attract new ones: Perhaps sparked by higher turnover in the last year, companies are willing to spend more money in 2012 to keep their staff - 62 percent of employers reported plans to increase employee compensation next year. The payouts will also be extended to new hires: 32 percent of companies plan to increase starting salary offers to new workers.

Not surprisingly, the jobs that are most likely to command a raise next year are those that impact the bottom line. The functional areas in which employers said they'd most likely offer raises include sales, information technology, engineering and business development, in that order.

3. Multi-speed recovery will continue: Certain industries, job functions and geographic areas will recover faster than others. For example, employers are in need of highly skilled workers, so jobs in engineering and IT will be plentiful in the coming year. Similarly, more employers in the West reported plans to hire in 2012 than did employers in the Northeast, Midwest and South.

4. Employers will try to close the skills gap: The skills gap - a hot topic in recruiting in 2011– will continue to be an issue in 2012. In order to meet their growing need for employees in high-skills functional areas, 38 percent of employers will provide workers and new hires with on-the-job training.

5. Employers will place greater emphasis on diversity: Employers will continue to make a concerted effort to recruit Hispanic, African-American, bilingual and female employees. Twenty-nine percent of employers said they'd focus on hiring diverse workers in 2012. One-in-five said they'd be recruiting African-American and Hispanic workers, while the same number reported plans to recruit women. Forty-four percent plan to concentrate on hiring more bilingual employees.

Matt Ferguson is the CEO of CareerBuilder.

Next: The Big Three Career Resolutions For 2012

Stories from Reader's Digest

TRACY

Who can support a family off of min. wage? Especially if you have young kids. Even if they are in school, after school care isn't cheap. Then add the gas prices in and the taxes they take out of your pay...why even work. While I don't agree with it, now I understand why some people live off the welfare system. You don't work, you get free medical and dental insurance, help with college tuition, low income housing, food stamps, free daycare, and the list goes on.

My husband and I struggle to do the right thing. I own my own business and he has a Master's in counseling. He's one of the lucky ones that has found employment, but we still are paying on his student loans that were necessary for him to advance in his career. I'm working 50 plus hours a week and attending night classes at my local community college paying as I go so I won't be up to my eye balls in debt when I finish my degree. There's no way I could go out and work a min. wage job and us still be able to afford our modest mortgage, vehicle payment, groceries, etc. We go without a lot because my a big chuck of my husbands income is taken out for health and dental insurance.We have two small children and have decided on not having any more because we are afraid of what will happen in the future. This is what kind of world we live in. I don't understand why they keep posting these articles raving about how many jobs that will be hiring when they pay squat. This doesn't help families, it's only frustrating.

January 02 2012 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ocgame9

1. Low wage jobs were designed for teens, student, first job workers ONLY.
2. College grad, older people, teens, first job workers are competing for the same low wage paying jobs
3. The government needs to get rid of minimal wage period.
4. Government is to big and we the people cant support there crazy money spending problems
5. Government needs to deregulate to get jobs back period
6. All Taxes, fees, and fines need to be reduced for any business to even think about coming back

January 02 2012 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob.rassias

as an aircraft mechanic....all the heavy works going overseas,
and i wonder why im out of work? gezzzzzzzzzzz

January 02 2012 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinus1

dfhgaerherhjejtrjh

January 02 2012 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
needmydollars

I agree with many of the postings. There is work available, if, only if, you are ready to work for min. wage. And, if you're middle aged, as I am, YOU ARE screwed. Resume is spotless, years of experience, and yet, I'm a dinosaur. I haven't had a reply from anybody, including Mickey D's. SAD!

January 02 2012 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wwerawdx2

I hope this is for nevada's state corrupt government theres no jobs here thousands of homeless people roam the streets. They have there heads up there a**es. If i cant pay my rent next month and im on the streets theres gonna be a problem with these corrupt officials. People who barely have the ged run this state government these people volunteer then they only do what the casinos want because the casinos pay them money to do what they want. They dont help the school systems or anything. Then they make laws that are easy to get by with another dumb law.

January 02 2012 at 3:57 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
franksguitar

I guess by this type of news that older white men with a wealth of experience are unemployable If I have read this correctly. It seems young equals trainable and inexpensive to hire. The diversity issue excludes causasian men. No wonder I cant get a job.

January 02 2012 at 3:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
KEVIN

The comments I've read so far are true with regard to opportunities and low wages. If you are looking for a career change that will allow you to work anywhere in the U.S, you may want to look at the Health Care, and Trucking Industry. I retired from the U.S Navy and was a Collections MGR for First Data Corp and my wife was a Cust. Svc Rep for UPS, we lived in Houston, Tx and everything was great. We had been gone from our hometown for 20 years so we sold our home and moved back home to Memphis, Tn and because of the low wages companies were paying we had to RE-POSITION ourselves in new careers. I went to truck driving school (13 days) and was hired by a local company a week after getting my CDL (3 weeks and I was working in my new field). I was a company driver and 90 days later they allowed me the opportunity to become an owner operator, so I bought a BIG RIG, and my wife, who had applied to Methodist School Nursing started class the day I bought the truck. I worked 6 days a week to support us while she attended the Accelerated Nursing Program. This was in 2001, she graduated in 2002 and we bought our new home in 2004. Health care and trucking has been very good to us and I would suggest these fields to anyone wanting a stable career, what we did in 3 years after starting new careers took us 12 years to do when I was in the Navy, and that was to buy a house. I know being a truck driver can be hard on a family with having to be on the road a lot, for me it was only 90 days before a local/regional opportunity came my way, normally you will need at least 1 year over the road experience before a company will hire you for a local job. Starting pay for an over the road driver is $35-50k per year, buy your own truck and you can earn $100-250k per year before expenses (Taxes, Fuel, Maintenance, Repairs), for a Nurse $42-48k a year. I'm sharing this info because you very rarely hear about Nurses being laid off, and I know everyone can see how many trucks are on the road keeping America moving. We both know people that have left their good paying jobs and go into Healthcare and Trucking because of the stability these industries have because of the shortages of Nurses and Truck Drivers. I also want to make a note that both of these industries are wide open to both men and women, you would be pleasantly suprised at how many woman drive trucks, and how few men are in Nursing. If you are on the net reading this post go ahead and google these 2 industries and make some inquiries. Good Luck.

January 02 2012 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KEVIN's comment
ocgame9

Good Luck in Nursing because Hospitals are the next bubble to burst and I know from experience nurses don't get 48k more like 25-30k if you lucky.

January 02 2012 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ocgame9's comment
KEVIN

25-30k if you are a Nursing Assistant or LPN...RN's are starting at the rate I listed..I guess it depends on where you live and the specialty you have.

January 02 2012 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
RMS

The "bottom line"? 1. Age descrimination is rampant. 2. the only jobs out there are minimum wage jobs that are part time with no benefits. 3. go into any retail store, supermarket, etc. and see how many "older" workers are there. They are there because they are underemployed, had former careers and decent paying jobs. Now they are just taking these jobs to pay the bills. 4. Employers are well aware of the situation, and take advantage of these employees by not paying overtime or providing any benefits. 5. The true unemployment rate is more like 15% and not improving, in a word, the employment situation is grim and not getting any better. The number of people competing for any actual jobs that may exist is at an all time high, and puts young, old, and recent college graduates in competition with each other. Also, factor in those who lost their jobs and could not find other work, so they retired earlier than they had planned, but without Social Security or Medicare benefits. Employerss are not replacing workers who retire, quit, or are terminated. They just pile the work on the remaining employees, and their attitude is, well, you should be happy to have a job. As I said, grim situation not getting better anytime soon. BTW, I'm one of those older, underemployed, and underpaid retial workers who may be out of a job by the end of the month.

January 02 2012 at 3:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dayleyw

These experts are liars, yes these compains say they are going to hire, but for 1970 wages. putting apps online is a crock of **** because they have apps coming from all around the world, and they don't read every one of them , they can't.This is just hog wash . period. These so call experts have a job, in writing stupid crap to build up the american people. there is thousands of people with NO JOBS,compains that are laying off and closing their business and they do not get unemployment. And our government is so full of crap, everything that comes out of both parties mouths are full of **** period.

January 02 2012 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply