A Quarter of Employees Text In Their Sick Days

text message sick days workEvery teenager who slinks out to a party but tells her parents that she's at a sleepover knows that text messaging is a very convenient mode of communication. There's no need to pick up the phone, and risk parents noticing the sounds of heavy beats, traffic or slurred speech. It seems that employees have picked up on the trick: a quarter of them admit to sending their supervisor a text on a sick day, according to a survey of 10,000 adults by makers of the British cough and cold medication Covonia.

Of course, not all of them are faking it. Some would just prefer to craft a written description of their ailments than face their bosses in real time. But even one in five of those who call confess that they exaggerate their symptoms.

One in six just send an email. One in 25 resort to a Facebook message.

But the big man doesn't always buy it. Some managers said that they call their unwell employees from a different number, one in 20 have even driven by their houses, and one in five admitted to checking their sick employee's Facebook page for any suspiciously healthy activity.

But employees are savvy too; a third say that they avoid the social media site when they've called in sick.

The rest of the results make it clearer why a cough and cold medicine brand would conduct this kind of survey. Apparently, a quarter of respondents said it was never acceptable to take a day off for a cold, and 13 percent would deem their co-worker "weak" if they did so. A third said a colleague in that situation should "man up."

So the take-away seems to be: Take Covonia cough syrup and Covonia vapor drops and Covonia throat spray or face the ridicule and judgment of your workmates.

In covering the survey, the Daily Mail and the Mirror, two British publications, threw in some quotes from Ron Eccles, director of the Common Cold Centre at Cardiff University, who explains that contagion is no excuse for skipping work. People suffering from cold symptoms, he says, have already passed their peak of contagiousness.

So there's really no excuse for taking a sick day from a cold, it seems, especially when you can just drown yourself in Covonia's exciting range of products. Unless, that is, you actually feel really sick.

Next: Chick-Fil-A Cashier Fired For Mocking Asian Customers

Stories from CNN Money

Nancy SeeAccount

Wow, there's just no professionalism left anymore. Just call in dead (in the brain).

December 14 2011 at 5:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
REDTAG

Just call in tired.

December 14 2011 at 5:11 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Philly267

this is made up or something because my employees are required to CALL and have doctors note before they can return.... what kind of job is this?? fake,,

December 14 2011 at 1:53 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Philly267

its a policy of mine that All employees must CALL me personally if im the acting GM of that location.. never text,,lol.. really common who does that,, cant be a job that professional or ones gonna lose sleepover..

December 14 2011 at 1:51 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Big Daddy

hi

December 14 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

To quote Trump YOUR FIRED

December 13 2011 at 11:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Glen

It's hard to believe any employer would allow this. Some jobs I've had in the past required a doctors note after just one day. The companies stance was if you're too sick to come to work then you should be under a doctors care. That was bull.

December 13 2011 at 11:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
katzlover222

OH NO, MY COMPANY MAKES YOU CALL AND SPEAK DIRECTLY WITH A SUPERVISOR !!!

December 13 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Heidi Ann

The only time I called in sick was when I had REALLY bad migraines and couldn't even move. It turned out that those migraines were an indicator of seizures that were happening. I didn't even know I was epileptic till they got really bad in my thirties. I ended up having to sleep half the day. Migraines are incredibly crushing and make me so nauseous. This was back before email was invented, we had no cell phones and no texting. I actually had to call on the phone.

December 13 2011 at 9:29 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Barovia

I never gave my place of work my cell number or access to any social media web page I was on. When I wasn't at work, I was off the grid. Any calls went to an answering machine that I never checked. Of course in 8 years I only faked sick twice and one of those times I actually had a good reason for missing but didn't feel the need to share it with my employer so it was easier to claim sick.

December 13 2011 at 9:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply