How To Become A Police Officer [Infographic]

how to be a police officerThis article originally appeared on Schools.com

By Kristin Marino

To protect and to serve. If those words hold particular meaning for you, you've probably considered a career in law enforcement--and if not, you might want to. Employment for police officers and detectives is expected to grow by 10 percent during the decade ending in 2018, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Here, learn more about the salaries, potential career paths and law enforcement training that's required to become a police officer.

Buddy Maxwell

The ancient Greek philosopher, Diogenes, brilliant as he was, had an unusual eccentricity. He traveled everywhere he went with a burning lantern, day and night. He was ridiculed and admnished for this habit until one day a local wag asked him, speaking Greek of course, why does he carry that lantern with him all the time(?) Diogenes paused for a moment, held the lantern up and peered intensely into the man's face, and replied: "I'm looking for an Honest Man!" Then, he turned and walked away. Nobody ever bothered him after that. To this day, there is no recorded documented evidence that, in his lifetime, ever finding an Honest Man!

August 02 2013 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dross4319

Unfortunately, when revenues fall short, Police Officers are often the first to go on unemployment. I once was a Correctional Sergeant and earned every penny I made. The inmates were seldom a problem, the main problem was with the burocracy. Rules were changed on a daily basis, I wouldn't work in Corrections again if you tripled the salary. Schools that promote Correctins as a vocation should be outlawed for selling a miserable product. Still, I suppode there are idiots out there who think it's all peaches and cream. The main problem is that the people teaching the courses are the very people who couldn't make it in real life. so goes the old saying, if you can't do, then teach.

July 25 2013 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lebronson

I am just stopping by to say that I have enjoyed the information about probation officers on your website and it's nice to read stuff that is well written. My brother and I recently made a probation officer site ourselves that teaches people, who are serious about becoming probation officers, how to go about doing so, and I am looking to get it some exposure [our new site is www.probationofficerinfo.com I don't know if it would be suitable for you to place a link to our site on yours, but we would be happy to do the same for you and help each other out. Let me know if this seems like something you would be interested in doing and keep up the good work on your site. Thanks!

March 26 2012 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonny Chornley Jr.

well i think id make a good cop.ive been down the criminal path and know the ways. They wouldnt have to worry about me being crooked. Been there , done that. to me a police officer is someone who should set a good example, they are counted on by many ppl, for our safety and should be able to be trusted. They should be able to be turned to -to steer you in the right direction. Alot of ppl around here, in my city now seem to just look at it as a job . a temporary thing. I find it should be much more serious than that. a career, a passion, a drive that motivates you. That never fails.

January 23 2012 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

I hope that these word dont come back to haunt you when they are breaking into your house raping your wife killing yopur kids and these fine men and woman arent willing to take a bullet to help you.

December 07 2011 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

WE NEED POLICE. I GET SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THESE POLICE OFFICERS , SAYING HOW HONEST THEY ARE. MY QUESTION TO THEM , IS HOW MANY CROOKED COPS HAVE THEY BUSTED, ARRESTED, BROTHER OFFICERS ????????????? . IF THE HAVE ARRESTED A CROOKED COP, THEN I WOULD SAY THEY ARE OK POLICE. BUT THEY DO'NT TAKE DOWN THEIR OWN.

December 07 2011 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
springerdx

There are already way to many cops where I live.From what I see,a cop job,(if that's what you call riding around in a car all day), is a very high paid position in the government command.Of the several that live in a square mile in my hood,they are the ones living in the expensive homes,with 3 or 4 new vehicles parked in their large garages,along w motorcycles, boats,many off road vehicles and plenty of time to use all of them.All this along w a fancy wife and a few children that will all have enough money to go to college.
The government has taken over!

December 07 2011 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gryphon10

Well, for God's sake, don't recruit trolls who post on HP. They can't handle a real job.

December 07 2011 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joann310

My son in law has a college degree, served his country for 4 years , and could not get a state trooper job or a police job due to lay offs. He is now finishing the academy to be a corrections officer, but had to turn down his dream of being a state trooper. It seems to be the ones that get these police and state trooper jobs knows someone.

December 07 2011 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Police departments are made up of people from every back ground. Therefore you are going to have varied personalities i.e. good cops, bad cops it's all there. I would dare to say though that most cops are really good people. There usually is a core value inside that person that applies for police work because it is a good work. We need our police. Without someone to enforce our laws our society would be in total chaos beyond your wildest halucinations. I do think it should be mandatory for a rookie cop to watch the Adam-12 and Dragnet TV series. Those are portrayals of the best police work. Although I do admit that was a different (and better) time.

December 07 2011 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply