Your Second Career: Finding Work After Retirement

By Anthony Cintron

Finding yourself after retiring from your career can be very exciting; it is a new beginning. With this new chapter of your life, you will get to take a look at things that really make you happy and what you are passionate about. Whether you need the extra income, or you need the personal contact with others, you owe it to yourself to pick the best fit for you at this time in your life.

Find what's right. What is right for you and why start a job search now? Think about these reasons before you take steps to finding a new career, because it will impact the decisions you will need to make going forward.

If your reasons for getting a job are based on the income you need, you are not alone. Research shows that 40 percent of the Baby Boomer generation is not sure if they will have enough money to live comfortably after retirement, so it seems that many are taking steps to make a better quality of life after retirement by finding their next career.

Take your time and really think about the things that you really get excited about doing. It may be a very easy answer for you if you have already chosen what you want to do, but for those that are starting at square one, it may be necessary to use some helpful tools to help you figure out what you really want to do.

What jobs work best for retirees? There are some jobs that are popular with retirees and Consultant is at the top of the list. You may find that consulting work can be very rewarding after retirement because it allows you to mentor others in your profession. It also allows you to be your own boss and decide which clients you want to take on.

Another possibility to think about - get an internship in a field to get a feel for it and see if it is for you. There are many internship programs out there for all ages and you can find them by going to job search sites, your local unemployment offices, and workforce agencies to see how they can help you. It is surprising how many really great leads you can find, including low-cost or free training programs in your areas of interest.

Don't be afraid to try something new if you are not interested in the career you had. This may be your time to develop a whole new you and dive into something you have never tried before - such as becoming an entrepreneur to start your dream business. Just make sure you have the funds you can take a risk with and do all the necessary research. There are many low cost start-ups these days and many could be right for you.

If there is a dream job you have always wanted, what better time than now to make a move? You don't want to reach the end of your life only to ask yourself "what if..." so get out there and get the job you want!

What Do You Think? Do you know any retirees looking for work? How has their experience been?

Anthony Cintron is the President & Chief Technology Officer of Resoomay, a cloud-based pre-screening tool that improves the job search process for recruiters and applicants. Connect with him and Resoomay on Facebook and Twitter.

sealzie

Why do you think seniors don't have to work? We pay the same prices everyone else does, some of us have more medical costs that younger people. Yes, we have medicare and it helps a little bit. I am over 70, not in the best of health and I was let go from my job as a receptionist after 11 years. Try and look for a "receptionist" position. Now they want you to do everything! I am only looking for a part time position to supplement my income.

November 28 2011 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tania

nice to hear from you xiomara!

November 28 2011 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dewdrop2d

I am 70 years old and I work part time. Not because I want to. Need money to pay for medicare and medicare part D . My social security check is very small. I have been working since I was 16. My check is under $800. dollars. Not every senior citizen makes over $1000. I do have a IRA. But it won`t last forever. I think that if the government can bail out banks , maybe they should bail out the senior citizen so we won`t have to work. Would love to enjoy what is left of my life.

November 27 2011 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dewdrop2d's comment
Linda

Ever thought about an Advantage Plan with Medicare? It covers everything covered by medicare, plus your drugs. Usually the same cost as medicare alone, plus sometimes they cover your dental, vision. Just a thought! Also, if only $800 per month, you should qualify for medicaid/medicare, but you have to apply with your state.

November 28 2011 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hvogel1387

What a lot of crap. Bottom line: Being over 60 = being a disposable piece of trash. No one is going to hire you and no one gives a damn if you live or die.

The new reality in the US

November 27 2011 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hvogel1387's comment
debs99f250

You're a little off on the age, My Husband worked for the same company for 32 yrs,
Company closed the doors July of this yr, All the older guy's recieved walking papers,
Then hired kids right out of HS, to work at the 2 location that stayed open,
Husband is 51 he's been out of work for 5 month, He's been told he's to old company's want younger workers, It's Freaking Sad. Our Goverment Sucks, 51 to young to retire but to dam old to get hire

November 28 2011 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mtyshawl

Good idea. Retirees go back to work and steal their Grandkids jobs.

November 27 2011 at 11:47 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
vlady1000

I'm looking to retire in 4-5 years. Always wanted to get back into car racing (age 20 was the last time I raced), so I figured "why not", That, along with taking care of all my student rental properties (the main reason I can retire at a somewhat, "younger" age), the dogs, and maybe some consulting should be about it. Hopefully it all works out.

November 27 2011 at 10:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sageparadox

If you having to find a job after retiring, are you really retired? Second, how can afford to retire is this day and age?

November 27 2011 at 10:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dodie1990

Retirees are often at Wal-Mart; part-time minimum wage, no benefits, no future jobs. It is a little bingo money. But it discourages Wal-Mart from paying a living wage to younger workers who really need it. My advice to those who need more money don't retire especially if you have a "good" job. A few more years might save you 15 at Wal-Mart .If you are lucky enough to have a real job at 55 keep it if you can

November 27 2011 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
McMillan Family

A friend of mine got her part time job through AARP.

November 27 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to McMillan Family's comment
demsruinamerica

TO hell with AARP. They are nothing but a union.

November 28 2011 at 12:46 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
feltyr

I am a retired Viet Nam vet and postal worker on social security I do not want to quit workng altogether. What kinds of jobs can I find working with wildlife departments in regards to game animals i am 66 but get around and feel like I am 48 and in ngreat health and am out doors qualified. ??

November 27 2011 at 7:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to feltyr's comment
Michael

I haven't checked into this one myself, but at some of our national parks they need caretakers and gatekeepers to collect camping fees and such.

November 27 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply