4 Common Job Hunting Fears & How To Overcome Them

job hunting fearsBy Mona Abdel-Halim

When you're unemployed, tackling the job hunt is a major step. There are many things that cause fear initially, but these should be faced head on to help get you on track at the start of your search. Let's look at some of the most common fears, and how to overcome them:

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With
1. Fear of asking for help

Being unemployed or recently unemployed can make you step back and look at what resources you have available. Your biggest resource is the network you've built up over time. Don't be afraid to alert others to your current situation and ask for help. Your network can help you find new positions and make you aware of new openings that may end up being a great fit for you. Companies often even give employees referral fees for recommending a future hire. So don't be afraid to use your network to the fullest.

2. Fear of the unknown

If you are unemployed for the first time in a long time, catching up on all of the new ways to job search can be very frightening. There are tons of new technologies that have been developed over the years to aid in the job hunt. Learning about these technologies can be a daunting experience and is often followed by many questions about each one. Don't be afraid to jump in and try a couple of these technologies that may be out of your comfort zone or ask friends what has worked for them. The more fearless you are, the easier it will be to start tackling the unknown.

3. Fear of not being perfect

Don't let the fear of thinking you need to have the perfect cover letter and resume get in your way while job searching. Everything needs to polished and put together to showcase you and your talents to the employer, but worrying about it can threaten the quality of your cover letter and resume by constantly editing to be "perfect." Don't stress too much about being the perfect fit for a company, work to make sure that you meet what they are asking for in the position, and things will fall into place.

4. Fear of being out of your league

As you search for a new job, be realistic. Look for roles that best meet your skill set and present yourself in the most confident manner. If you meet the requirements and feel confident with your cover letter and resume, there is no reason to feel like that position is out of your league. The biggest step here is to be realistic with what you are searching for.

These common job-search fears can cause you to feel apprehensive about how to tackle and start your job search. Address these fears head-on to overcome them and stop delaying your job search.

What fears have you faced that prevented you from starting your job search?

Mona Abdel-Halim is the co-founder of Resunate.com, the world's only search-engine-optimizing resume-builder. You can find Mona and Resunate on Facebook and Twitter.

Next: Working At A Startup: Do You Have What It Takes?

Stories from Personal Branding Blog

Come Recommended

Editor

Come Recommended is a content agency specializing in careers, recruiting, and human resources. We're led by Heather R. Huhman, a widely-recognized thought leader and expert in the careers space with a decade of experience as a hiring manager. Our mission is to connect job seekers and employers, which we do through advice-driven, non-advertorial content of all kinds. We believe there’s no greater feeling than helping others fulfill their dreams — whether it's landing their dream job/internship or expanding the team of their dream company.

aisha200bc

Well its not that easy the way it sounds, its just about making more money by creating a website that promises all these wonderful dreams. The people who are unemployed desperately keep clicking the different websites, and finally its the website whose making the money. I have not come to any site where i posted my resume and got a decent offer for what i had to offer, although i am most confident, that i have the best talent including the experience in what i have to offer. The offers that i did get on line were not worth mentioning they were simply disgusting. Besides, the few one's that could have been considered had other discrepancies, and were futile. Working on line is not a joke, and not every one's cup of tea either. People take others for granted but fail to realize that in the end its not only the unemployed who remains a looser, but also those who could not accommodate the person who was worth the job. By being an employer doesn't make you superior, The employer is equally in need of the services as the unemployed who is in search for a job. This is the most important point that an unemployed person must be aware of..And being aware of this fact the chances for the unemployed becomes strong to remain less vulnerable, The destructive thoughts, and fake ideas, that makes one feel desperate might become less, and further provides the lost confidence to the unemployed, to face his next employer without giving him a chance to take the employee for granted. This self created fake concept, that the employer holds all the cards, and holds your future must come to an end. There is no one way traffic------------

November 02 2011 at 5:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Sexy

REALLY! We didn't know that! Wow! Tell us something we don't already know.

November 02 2011 at 5:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2012 Clark 2012

I own a handyman company in springfield oregon, I am currently running an ad in craigslist under ROOF/GUTTER carpenter tech. I have had numerous people e-mail me thier resumes. I have interviewed over 20 people. Most of the job seekers do not want to work either because they are collecting unemployment benefits or just plain do not want to do heavy labor. I have noticed that most of the people who are on unemployment benefits value it before WORK.

November 02 2011 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hreimbeau

Of all my interview experiences I've come across is never knowing the real reason I was passed over. I've been to countless interviews and the outcomes have been very dissappointing. Some interviews I admit I either wasn't prepared or had the right look, but most of time I'm lost not knowing the real reason i wasn't selected. I consider myself to be a very smart driving individual with a substantial amount of experience in my field, however, 90% of the time I wonder what more could I have done or said. My resume is well put together, I spoke clear and polite with assertiveness, groom myself in a $500 interview suit with nice shoes, but nonetheless I'm passed over. I know some may not agree with me when I pull the race card, but being male and black is a big disadvantage. You'd only agree with me if you too were black, but it's the truth. It really hurts. Finally, my beef with interviewers is they don't welcome honesty. They ask you questions for which I try to be as honest as possible, but seems my honesty is never rewarded. I despise interviews because I think interviewers don't value my worth.

November 02 2011 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RUI COSTA

nothing is made in america now a days everything is kicked out .. read the news lol

November 02 2011 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yabadabame2

ALL of YOU PEOPLE that are COMPLAINING about JOBS probably OWN a FORIEGN CAR.

What about ALL of the PEOPLE that YOU put out of work because you DIDN'T, and STILL DON'T BUY AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS !!!

YOU ALL BROUGHT THIS UPON YOURSELVES......... START BUYING AMERICAN MADE STUFF, and STOP COMPLAINING !!!!!!

November 02 2011 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to yabadabame2's comment
Mikey

I have a Dodge and a Toyota... the Toyota was made in California.

November 02 2011 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mmakowicki

everyone is turning this into a political argument and, while their is a certain president whom i think caused most of this, it's really the whole government's fault. It's become corrupt and full of people who don't care what's best for america, republican or democrat. All they care about is if they'll get elected for another term.

November 02 2011 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yabadabame2

It is only going to worse, NOT because of President Obama, BUT because of Speaker of The House John Boner, and the IDIOT TEA Party Congress that would rather sit on there Fingers instead of DOING ANYTHING ! ( And They are getting Paid for it, WHAT A JOKE !!! )
The TEA Partiers NEED TO GO, and be REPLACED by anybody that has an IQ higher than 2

November 02 2011 at 1:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

While you're worrying about finding a jobs in the economy that Obama created...making it impossible for companies to hire...AND while Obama is bypassing the Congress at every turn making our Constitution a thing of the past...we are LOSING THESE UNITED STATES OF AMARICA. WAKE UP PEOPLE...OUR FREEDOM IS AT STAKE

November 01 2011 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Vicki's comment
raymondyes

don't blame oboma that sob bush had 8 years to screw over america

November 02 2011 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariad421

we need jobs to support the families...

November 01 2011 at 11:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.