Late For Work, Officer Accused Of Going 120 mph

police officer speedingMIAMI (AP) -- A Miami police officer is accused of driving 120 mph on a turnpike because he was late for his off-duty job working security at a school.

The Florida Highway Patrol says officer Fausto Lopez was arrested at gunpoint after leading police on a brief high-speed chase.

According to a police report, a trooper spotted a patrol car changing lanes in a dangerous manner earlier this month. The report says the patrol car ignored warnings to pull over and led a brief high-speed chase before stopping near Hollywood.

Miami police spokesman Delrish Moss told The Associated Press on Saturday that any administrative action against Lopez will be taken after the outcome of the criminal case.

Univision first reported the arrest.

Next: The 15 Scariest Jobs

Stories from Daily Finance

briranger1

I went through the Police Academy here in Orlando Florida, back in 1989. One of our local instructors told the class about an ongoing battle between South Florida Sate Troopers versus a few other Police agencies in that area! I am not condoning nor condemning either officers actions and or reactions here. It seems that 22 years has changed this internal bragging rights war very little indeed. You would think that a Civil Servant such as being a Police Officer would be BOTH challenge and thrill enough, without risking the lives of the very people they are paid to serve and protect! Praise God that MOST that work for the public will serve with ALL their hearts and souls whether on duty or not!!! Also plenty of CHEERS for those dedicated Security Officers that make VERY similar risks and die with less fan fair than their higher paid compadres! BROTHERS & SISTERS ALL !!!!!!!!!

November 01 2011 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csmjwoody

Being a Retired Police Officer, Wouldn't I love to be the Judge who hears this one. Bet it is "Guilty, Your Honor" with an apology !! Just hope the Judge does what is fair and impartial. I noted he was driving the Departments Patrol unit also. Reckless Driving, Abuse of City Property. Speeds in excess of 100 MPH. I can see a large fine and loss of driving privileges and his JOB. He Deserves it.

November 01 2011 at 3:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Interesting how the Police Officer had an off duty job in Security at a school.

When I drove for northAmerican Van Lines out of Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1990, we had to get helpers in the local area and pay them $10.00 an hour to help and unload.

I always got my helpers from the local NAVL Agent, but once in Eastern Pennsylvania, I had to get a helper from a truck stop. A nice young guy, who, when I asked the young lady at the counter, if she knew where I might find a helper, who would be willing to help me load my trailer for $10.00 an hour, she asked me if her younger brother would be OK? I told her absolutely! We were encouraged to call the Police Station or Fire Station to hire off duty Police Officers or Firefighters to help us load or unload.

Too bad this Miami Police Officer had to be such an idiot and a jerk in his behavior here.

November 01 2011 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
passiongoldmine

The days of a neighborhood cop being someone you like and can trust are over. I'll bet the speeding cop heard people explain that they were late for work and told them "that's no excuse" and write them a $300 speeding ticket served with a smile. I have read stories about cops who were speeding in their private cars and then when pulled over. After flashing their badges, they were let go without even documenting it. At least this Trooper had the balls to call this guy out for breaking the law. That speeding cop could have wrecked into you and your family at 120+ MPH. I'll bet this Trooper won't be acknowledged as possibly saving lives but instead accused of breaking the Blue Code Of Silence.
I say make this Trooper the Cheif Of Police somewhere in Tampa. The Police Depts. in Tampa Bay are ticket happy because the Cities have huge budget shortfalls.

November 01 2011 at 2:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Keith

I want to see the dash cam video tape.

November 01 2011 at 1:58 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
hackitoff

The officer should be ashamed. Only 120. There was this lady who was allegedly clock doing "nearly twice the 65 mph speed limit" in a 10 year old Mazda 626. (;

November 01 2011 at 1:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
additionaldetail

driving 120 mph leading police on a brief high-speed chase. That's recklessly driving and endangering the lives of other drivers. This Miami cop has no respect for the law and especially for public safety. Fire him and let him think it out while doing 3 months in jail on what he'd done.

November 01 2011 at 1:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
boxcart007

What an Idiot Trooper, stoping anothr Officer in a marked car. what is it only Troopers can do 120 or better, but if a City or Town Cop does it, it's not right. Power Tripiing doesn't solve anything. I never heard of Cops doing other Cops for basic Police funtions. What gives today. I hope that Trooper is not getting his ass kicked on the side of the road one day and hoping anyone from this agency stopping to help, he might as well forget that. And I don't blame them one bit...There definitely is no brotherhood in that area, thats for sure....

November 01 2011 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Workman

The Off Duty should have said that he was late, to meet his Duty Sargeant at the donut shop just down the road a ways off the off next ramp. I've seen Police in a hurry, only minutes later, see them pull up, and go into the local donut shop!? I could be wrong? It wouldn't be the first time? All Cops, and they're cars, and motor bikes, look the same, don' they?!?!??

November 01 2011 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brian Workman's comment
Steve

Hilarious! That was my first thought, that the only time they drive that fast is on their way to a donut break. Hope he learns his lesson and slows down before he injures or kills someone.

November 01 2011 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Steve's comment
hackitoff

if his driving doesn't kill him the donut shop will.

November 01 2011 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Lettybits

HE WILL GET OFF WITH JUST A REPRIMAND. YOU AND I, FINED UP THE KAZOO AND POSSIBLE LOSS OF LICENSE. SO MUST FOR JUSTICE BEING SERVED!!

October 31 2011 at 11:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply