David Copperny

this site is the best for salary questions

April 20 2015 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Lightning F2A and a few others here are out of touch. Ignore this FUD.

(1) Never disclose salary history. It is no one's business except your own and is a pointless metric when you consider all the variables (responsibilities, geographical cost of living, benefits, etc). Simply reply that non-disclosure agreements prevent you from discussing that information, but you are seeking a range of X-to-Y.

(2) Never tip your hand and throw out the first number. Give a reply like "If I am your candidate of choice and, in turn, if this is the right opportunity for me, then I know the offer will be more than fair." This puts the ball back in their court and lets them know that you have options.

(3) Never take the first offer. It makes you seem desperate. Negotiate your value.

(4) Always perform salary research before the interview. This includes websites like and contacting the HR dept for the company you're interviewing at to find out the range budgeted.

June 23 2014 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I NEVER give them an exact number.. I give a range, and I tell them the range is based on the benefits package offered, and what my contribution is.. I always keep an eye on what current companies are listing similar jobs for. I know recently the range for the positions I am looking at just took a big dump in the last month.. If you are not watching what companies are offering and adjusting what you are asking for you will be closed down..

November 03 2011 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chefslb's comment

Maybe I've just been lucky. Every job I've applied for had a definitive salary attached to the job announcement. Recently, the company I work for at present announces positions with the words "competive salary". Competitive? I, for one, don't like having to negotiate for pay. It pays what it pays and the company knows that. So, why the negotiation, except that the company wants to get personnel as cheaply as possible. Understood. And, as an employee, I would hate to find that I accepted a position that paid lower than an equal employee was getting paid. So, companies, be fair, just post what the job pays. If it pays more for experience and qualifications, fine, that can be added to the individual. As a hiring manager, the person doing the hiring should put themselves in the applicants shoes. You'll get a much happier and more productive employee.

November 04 2011 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It is who you know not what you know. When you're at the right place, at the right time and with the right person your luck has to do alot with landing on the job that is out

November 01 2011 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It does depend on the job. Most jobs out there, they tell you what the salary is, and you accept it or leave. Salary negotiation for higher wages is not something most people have to deal with. I mean, in today's job market, are people going around negotiating whether they want $50K or $$75K?

Most people can't even find a job period. Absurd article. And I do agree you should state your salary up front if you are in that situation, which again, most people are not.

November 01 2011 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I'm not even a hiring manager, but I can tell you that I'm in full agreement with Lightning F2A. Especially on that second response. If I were a candidiate in a job interview I would NEVER say "more importantly" to the hiring manager for fear that the phrase could be misconstrued as me stating "what I have to say is more important than what you talk about."

If I were a hiring manager and someone said "more importantly" to me I would say "well, (name of unfortunate one), that's all I need. Thank you for your time." End of interview, candidate crossed off list.

November 01 2011 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

being an ex employment councelor, I found this article to be most helpful..I wish it was available to me when I was in the field VW

November 01 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

What happens if they want your salary history along with your resume, coverletter?

November 01 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I appreciate your advice in this article. That being said, I have followed this course on a number of occasions and it often fails in the current employment environment. As a candidate you may simply not move forward in the process if you don't share your last salary or communicate what your salary expectations are.

November 01 2011 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Most employers don't want to pay you more, so that question is self explanatory. Most of them are going to low ball you, so asking for a wage increase is probably not going to go anywhere in most cases. Cost of living? Forget that also.

November 01 2011 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply