How To Dress Up For Halloween At Work Without Losing Your Credibility

Halloween costumes at workThere are few times of year when I look forward to my daily commute more than I do around Halloween. There's just something about watching Marge Simpson check her BlackBerry on the subway or seeing a full-grown man walk into a downtown office building in a banana suit that is seriously entertaining.

But, in the course of my people-watching over the next few days, I also know there will be times when I feel seriously uncomfortable; Feelings brought on by getups that will make me wonder "Where does this lady work that she doesn't have to wear pants?" or think "Yikes. That is one brave man, right there."

Because inevitably, when people are given the option to ditch business casual for a day and dress instead as whatever they want, there will be some who take it a little too far.

Halloween is fun, and if you have an office that is cool enough to celebrate it, then by all means, dress up! Just remember the golden rule of office revelry: "There is a time and a place for everything."

Here, guidelines to help you figure out what's work appropriate, and what you should save for the weekend. (Because after high school, it's not cool to be the girl who gets sent home to put more clothes on.)

1. Be a nurse, not a sexy nurse.

It seems that the manufacturers of Halloween costumes for adult women follow the same predictable formula year after year: Take an occupation, animal or Disney princess and slap the word "sexy" in front of it ... Ta da! But, even though it may require a little more effort to find a costume that's not based on a foundation of underwear and fishnets, if you plan on dressing up for work, plan on putting in the extra time to find something full-coverage.

2. Avoid controversy.

If there's a question in your mind that your costume might offend your co-workers or spark an argument, go a different route. Your friends might get a kick out of your Casey Anthony costume, but do you really want to listen to your co-workers argue about whether or not she's guilty all day? Didn't think so.

Some other popular-yet-controversial costumes for 2011 that will probably cause more of a headache than they're worth at work? A Wall Street protestor, Osama Bin Laden, Amanda Knox, and any member of the crowded cohort that includes Anthony Weiner and Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

3. Don't be a nuisance.

If your office fully-embraces Halloween, chances are it won't be the most productive day of the year. Still, there will probably be some work that needs to get done, so make sure your costume isn't too distracting. If your getup has pieces that make noise, light up, blow bubbles, play music, etc., it's best to leave these components home.

4. Keep your work environment in mind.

If your office is small, casual and creative, you may be able to get away with more than if you work in a corporate environment or one where you're required to interact with clients and customers all day. If you're not sure what's appropriate, ask co-workers what they plan on dressing up as, or what people were in years' past.

Bottom line? Have fun, but use good judgment. If you have an inkling that your sexy, politically incorrect costume is not office appropriate, save it for the weekend, and choose something more neutral for 9-to-5. It can be your excuse to buy two costumes!

What other guidelines do you have for office costumes? Have you ever seen anyone go too far? Let us know in the comments section.

Next: 10 Funny Halloween Costume Ideas for Work

Stories from FINS Finance

mexgangspcfl

Its unbelievable how immature the young employees entering the workplace have become. The are children that were coddled growing up constantly being told nonsence like they can be anything they want to be, they are great, whatever they want to do they can do etc. by their doting parents. The millenia employees are pathetic babies that need to be doled out candy and pacifiers at work and patted on the head every 10 mins or they quit and run home to live with mommy and daddy !

October 26 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annedyth

Dragondancer,
Well said!

October 26 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annedyth

Nice thing about working as a tour guide at a historic site is being allowed to dress up in costume' anytime!

October 26 2011 at 6:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ajt1025

Pretend your a worker and do some work that would be a new idea, more so for any government workers at township, country, state and federal employees!!

October 26 2011 at 6:15 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Emilio Paletta

"Happy Halloween"
2011

Emilio Paletta Author

copy right 2006

All Hallows' Even, better known as "HALLOWEEN", was the time I chose to make my debut; which occurred at approximately 7:45 am. On the receiving end was mom's obstetrician, Dr. Henry Jekyll. He was disguised as a masked man; which seemed apropos for the occasion.

Once he revealed himself, I noticed he was sporting a silly grin. Then suddenly without warning, he transformed into this grotesque monster.... otherwise known as Edward Hyde; after which he held me by my feet and began smacking my backside.

The nerve; we hardly knew one another.

Allow me to rehash the circumstances, leading up to this hallowed event.

During the nine months spent in solitary confinement, mom and I became inseparable, so much so, I became privy to in-side-her information. Anything regarding my well being, bounced off mom first. When I awakened, she did likewise. If I started kicking, mom went bonkers. We were close as two peas in a pod.

At times, mom had a tendency to confuse folks; due to nondisclosure. I'll try to explain. When someone asked, "Is it a boy or girl?" she'd answer,

'I don't know."

'Heck! 'All she had to do was ask, ‘I gladly would have told her.'

I had some hairy moments--- the scariest of which was during the early stages of gestation. When mom went to the John, I thought for sure I'd end up being flushed down the tubes. Whenever she'd bathe, I worried about drowning; luckily, I could hold my breadth underwater.

During the last trimester, I particularly didn't like when dad came aboard and began poking me in the ribs.

Dad wasn't the only one, once a month mom visited some guy, she called,” My Gynecologist.”

Dad referred to him, as the playground director. Unlike dad who was quick and to the point, this guy’s approach was quite deliberate.

Before poking around, he implemented his take on foreplay. First mom had to lie on her back, and place her feet into stirrups.

Then, he covered her with a sheet. Lastly he inserted a gizmo resembling the 'Jaws of Life.' Due to overcrowding I attempted to abandon ship.

When time came to vacate the premises, I tried giving her a helping hand; which only made matters worse. I wanted out, since I was extremely claustrophobic.

As time neared, I felt someone grab hold of my torso and twist me around. The waiting was unbearable!

Finally when push came to shove, I made my move. Before I knew it, I was on my merry way. I'd compare it, to going down the chute of a playground slide.

After sliding down the ramp, I fell into the hands of the masked man; Dr. Jekyll.

Once metamorphoses set in, he changed into the wicked, Mr. Hyde; and then the fiend began smacking my hinee; shouting, “Trick or Treat!”

My patience was wearing thin. I thought, ‘Why doesn't this creep pick on someone his own size?’

I wondered how long it would be before he cut the bungee cord.

I wanted my mommy! I was hungry and needed something to nibble on.

Besides, I had to let mom know I loved her and wanted to thank her, for putting up with my mischievous activities.

Though I'm certain, she'll overlook my weird behavior; after all, it is Halloween.

www.neversayuncle.com paletta4788@aol.com

October 26 2011 at 3:19 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Mumbles

All pooped out this Halloween? Try a Monster Pooper candy dispenser available at Ralph's Grocery, Food4Less, Claire's, Burlington Coat Factory, Jo-Ann Fabric, Hallmark, Wegmans, Sweet Factory, Wilson Farms.

Search YouTube "Monster Pooper"

October 26 2011 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tommy

My ex-wife dressed as a Nurse every halloween... of course she did it everyday before going to the clinic where she worked. LOL!

October 26 2011 at 2:31 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Tistyen

I usually make sure my costume contains components that can be used as a normal outfit, in case I have to meet with someone from outside the office. For instance, I start with black pants and top (suitable for office wear) and add a witch's hat and a cape. At my office, they've come to expect that I'll dress up if Halloween's on a work day.

October 26 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
satyrions

Geez, Rebecca, lighten up!

October 26 2011 at 12:50 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply