What You Wish You'd Known Before Your Job Interview [Infographic]

job interviews in hindsightJob interviews can be challenging, in part because there is so much that can go wrong.

There is dressing appropriately, of course, and ensuring that your resume is up-to-date and error-free. But there are other, more subtle factors, such as body language, that interviewers pay keen attention to.

Those include things that we're all apt to do when nervous, such as fidgeting too much, not smiling or failing to make eye contact. Still, such behaviors aren't flattering and could be reason enough for a hiring manager to reconsider an applicant's candidacy.

Interviewers are also eager to find out how much you know about the company, in part because it shows the ability to be organized and properly prepared. So study up.

You also will need to explain who you are and why the organization needs you. Being able to succinctly describe the skills that you can bring to the position and to the company is a surefire way to engage the interviewer while also making the case for why you are the right person for the job.

Winging it in an interview might work, but chances are that a lack of preparedness will come out during the vetting process -- and you may be left stumbling to answer questions. And that won't win you any points.

To learn more about what you need to know before going on a job interview, check out the infographic below from ClassesandCareers.com.

Next: A Jobseekers' Guide To Building A Wardrobe From Scratch [Infographic]

Stories from Glassdoor.com

Triin Linamagi

David, It is a very good Infographic! Really informative. The only thing - it is very hard to read the small text.
But the facts are very truthful!

November 01 2013 at 3:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mgp82

I agree with Wright. I mean come on people, my mom and dad have always told me eye contact and hand shakes define your character. And obviously the one's disagreeing about the techniques are applying for restaurant work, or "Dollar General" jobs. If you want to succeed in the actual job market, then you have to play by the rules. And come on PJ, it says 70% don't want fashionable or trendy, umm the other 30% is considered to be the fashion industry. All that is saying is they don't want there employee to be consumed in fashion and being trendy. When working for a "high-end" job it entails succeeding in that field of expertise, not what your wearing. Less freedom? Really, you are a complete moron. Have you ever traveled to another country and seen the actual tyranny of real-life? You have every opportunity to make something of yourself here, or you can go live in a 3rd world country, where food, medicine is limited. Then you have Dbecka agreeing with you, but she adds as long as they have knowledge of the job. Well duh thats 50% of the whole process of getting hired! We are talking jobs at firms, not restaurant, no degree jobs. I hate adding comments, but I was pretty baffled by your negative comments and the only thing I can think of is that you have no manners, or social skills and your probably applying for jobs you are not qualified to be hired. Also, I'm pretty sure no one has ever told you, "wow, thats a strong handshake" which means you lack character and the possibility of ever becoming a man.

December 02 2011 at 5:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mgp82's comment
Csmith

I entirely agree with everything you wrote here. Nobody is entitled to a job. The is the land of the free meaning you are free to build yourself in any way to make yourself most attractive to an employer. If learning what clothes to wear and having a good handshake are what gets me a job, I'll take that over what's present in third world countries any day. And keep in mind, with all these tips it is implied "with all else held equal". So if you are an idiot, who is vastly underqualified for a position, then no matter how much the interviewer likes your suit or is impressed by your handshake, you won't get hired. It's about showing respect for intelligence and the job you want.

February 27 2013 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mister

November 20 2011 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sangram Takmoge

7% impact of what we actually say? that's something like a romantic date. Anyway, that's a nice graphic which can serve as a good last hour checklist for an interview.

November 18 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ

I would never want to work anywhere that was concerned with most, perhaps ANY, of these. This must apply to a very narrow job field - 70% of employers don't want you to wear trendy clothes? What if this is the fashion industry, you're applying for? This list is pure inhumane tyranny - I echo AJ's complaint. The only reason people have to comply with this B/S is because of excessive gov't control which has led to less freedom to create the jobs that NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS enjoy working at.

November 16 2011 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dbakeca Italia

I agree with AJ...everybody must have the right to work anywhere as long as they have the right knowledge for that job.

November 11 2011 at 6:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

I hope someone else finds it obscene that these ludicrous, arbitrary, degrading hoops must be jumped through if you want to have food to eat and a place to live (and yes, speaking from experience, even minimum wage jobs use standards like these now -- with unemployment so high, they can afford to.) Does anyone really think it's sane or just for Americans to be unable to feed their families, or to lose their homes, because they didn't "ask for the job" they had already applied for and were interviewing for, or because they have a weak handshake, or because they wore a brightly-colored shirt?

November 04 2011 at 4:15 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to AJ's comment
Wight

Someone will get that job and that someone is the person who wants it the most. If you cant jump through some hoops to feed your family then why would I want you to work at my company? If you really want a job then do what it takes to get that job. If not then you obviously didn't really want it.

You are really saying that people who didn't get the job are victims of society? What are you 12? You are not entitled to a damn thing in this world. You have to go and out and work for it.

November 24 2011 at 3:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Wight's comment
milosh

Get it through your head! You must jump through hoops! If you think these lips haven't sucked a lot of cocks to get where they are then you are wrong! The world doesn't owe you **** but you certainly owe it many many *********.

November 30 2011 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
DampeS8N

I've never before been so happy to be in a field centered on easily quantifiable skills. Around 50% of the above doesn't apply for brain jobs like software development. As someone who hires on a regular bases, I'd say I've turned away people for wearing a suit to the interview.

I'm not hiring your fashion sense, I'm hiring your brain. Show up in a diaper and a beanie with a propeller on top - if you can tell me what A* is, or describe a Finite State Machine, or tell me why caching is more important than algorithm optimization on the web - I'll still hire you. Seriously.

October 24 2011 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Javier Aguilar

Let's see if it helps....

October 24 2011 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply