1 in 5 Americans Plans On Finding A Second Job For The Holidays

With December's holidays right around the corner, many Americans' minds are on shopping. A new poll finds, however, that a significant number of them will be taking on second jobs to help with holiday purchases because of the tough economy.

More than a fifth of adults -- 21 percent -- said they plan to get a second job to help with holiday spending this year, according to an online survey by Harris Interactive. Twelve percent of respondents said they already had secondary employment.

Additional findings of the survey of nearly 2,500 adults showed that 45 percent of them will have difficulty affording gifts this year. Two-thirds of respondents said they will have more difficulty affording any expense related to the holidays this year, compared to last year.

Despite the need for additional employment and the welcome income it provides, many job seekers may find it difficult to land a seasonal job since many retailers are maintaining hiring at last year's levels. Some of the largest retailers, such as Toys R Us and Best Buy, are scaling back their hiring plans for the holiday season.

In announcing its annual forecast for holiday hiring, employment-services firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas last month said that most retailers have little incentive to add more workers than they did a year ago.

"Many are dealing with higher costs related to rent, energy and wholesale prices," said Challenger CEO John Challenger in a statement. "These are increased costs that they are loath to pass along to consumers, so it simply does not make sense to hire more workers that will eat into the already-shrinking profit margins."

It isn't merely higher costs that are keeping employers' seasonal hiring plans in check, notes the Los Angeles Times. As consumers increasingly turn online to make purchases, there's less need for staff in stores.

So while the demand for second jobs appears to be on the rise, many job seekers this holiday season will find there's little to cheer about on the employment front.

Hiring For The Holidays

Next: Retailers Hiring The Most Workers This Holiday Season

Stories from CNNMoney

white41990

Why get a job just because of the holidays? Who says theres a law that states you got to spend money on people just because its a holiday? I am 33 and have two kids and a wife and never celebrated the holidays by spending money on anyone, thats right anyone. I have taught my kids from the day they were born that there is no such thing as a free ride in life, and learn how to accept NO for an answer. As long as you got food on the table, cloths on your back, and a roof over your head you don't need anything else, including toys and all that other junk people spend money on that later ends up on the curb.

October 24 2011 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tarilop

Thank you dailyfinance for this article

October 23 2011 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert dailey

Oh hell why not cancel the civil celebration of Christmas this year.

October 21 2011 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
k4jlp

ANYONE GOT A JOB FOR ME? I NEED THE EXTRA SO I CAN GIVE IT TO EXXON-MOBILE, THEY ONLY MADE 45 BILLION IN PROFIT LAST YEAR. ALSO I NEED TO HELP OUT UNITED HEALTH CARE PAYING FOR MY 1500.00 DUDUCTABLE BEFORE THEY START PAYING THEIR 80%....

October 21 2011 at 7:20 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
therule72

If ya want a second job for Christmas better apply NOW... or the OWS bums might be given priority... LOL!!

October 21 2011 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
georgii1

We got 1 in 5 Americans working today?
Really??

October 20 2011 at 11:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wayne

I take pictures of the movie stars ,for a good close up picture they pay me $25,000 and it only takes a few minutes. I usually make over $258,999 per year.

October 20 2011 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davefromfwb1

I've worked 2-3 jobs my entire life. So does that mean I should go out and get a 4th job this holiday? ha ha ha

October 20 2011 at 8:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rbrtkyte

Good luck with that happening,Theres hardly enough jobs out there for ONE job ! Consider yourself lucky if you ARE employed ,because there are TONS of us that wish we were

October 20 2011 at 5:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
vonhender

Walt...I agree and understand. I have been "unemployed" 17 months. I was let go from my last position(a veteran in the job for 27 years) it seems to me primarily because of my age (58) and my pay scale.All I know is my replacement was 23 years old and was making the minimum for the job(about $23K). NOW I,m taking flak for being out of work so long, and being told things like I don,t fit the job profile, when I am looking for work even remotely similar to what I did for a quarter of a century!

October 20 2011 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vonhender's comment
davefromfwb1

Hate to say this but your never going to find a job making 1/3 what you were. The good days of the USA are over. The ship has sailed and it ain't coming back to port. Only thing I can recommend to people is cut your expenses. Lower your tv bill, lower your cell phone bill, cancel this, cancel that. Get rid of your payments and live cheap. The cheaper you live the quicker you will be to balance out of your downward spiral. When you do get a job, you'll be thankful you cut your expenses. It's the only way.

October 20 2011 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply