Aloha Martin, my name is Keala Scott and i am in a complete hole. I have been living with ADHD and hearing from my therapists and my own self evaluations; my condition is really severe sir. But i feel powerful on most things i can do, but it seems to be everything but my own school work. In the health academy in high school is the worse, it is all projects for kapolei high school is a project based school. Martin, my mother is starting to give up on me and so are my teachers...i feel really alone in my situation and i do need help on how i can actually be successful as you are. Mr. Yate, you past experiences are closely similar to mine. I hope there is a way for me. Mahalo Mr. Yate

November 29 2012 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Hi, how are you?

October 18 2011 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I was also constantly told that I would never be a "somebody". Teachers brushed me off as lazy or stupid, and I grew up wondering if I would ever feel pride in myself.
Flash foward to today -- I'm one of the most successful students at my school. I try harder, better myself constantly, and I do it all for pleasure. I'm almost ready to take the world by storm, and when my books come out, you're going to know it's me.
It took me a long time to figure out that feeling inside of me that kept telling me, "Just wait, one day you're going to be someone spectuacular." But, as it turns out, that someone "big" was who I was all along.
A life that is challenging offers greater rewards for those who are looking for them. I am not ashamed of who I am, nor do I frown upon the range of struggles I have overcome. I do not wish my life was any different than it was, because I am exactly who I should be.

...And, honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

As for your article, I do so hope you intend to follow up your post regardless of how many replies you get. There are kids who, like you and I, are struggling with ADHD and looking for someone, ~anyone~, who understands. I'll be looking out for you as well.

October 18 2011 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I agree with fisk62 - What is this code? Without medication.

October 18 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

So what is this code that you speak of? I am inspired by your success and was not aware that so many highly successful people had ADHD. I would do just about anything to be able to deal with this, the exception being medication because I do not see this as really dealing with it, more like masking it. If you stop taking the medication, your are back to an ADHD "normal". I have all kinds of life dreams and have actually started the process only to lose focus and stop. It has been the "story" of my life.

October 18 2011 at 8:48 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

Can you verify that these historical figures were suffering from this condition? Please cite sources.

October 18 2011 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

As an adult with ADHD, I can say that there is little sympathy for us in the workforce. It is something that you really cannot explain to people or employers. I have had so many embarrassing moments in my adult workday life that can be attributed to ADHD that I have gotten to the point where I just expect it to happen everyday. I don't even try to explain it, I just let people believe that I am dumber than a rock. It rules every aspect of you life really. I have made decisions that have left people scratching their head and left me going , wow, did I really do that? It is hard for us to stop and consider all of the angles. We adult ADHD"ers are not unaware of how we come across to co-workers or employers, we simply cannot focus on one thing for very long. If you cannot focus on something then it does not stick with you. This is just one of the many, many negative aspects of ADHD.

October 18 2011 at 8:31 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply

I want to hear much more on this ADHD subject for adults. Please keep writing. There's nothing I want more than to find a career I would actually like and stay engaged with for years to come.

October 18 2011 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply