Are You One Of Us? ADHD And Your Career

ADHD distractions at workHave people said you are good at starting things but not at finishing them? Did impulsivity get you in trouble at school? Has it ruined jobs and relationships? Does your mind skip? Do you sometimes spin in circles unable to gain traction?

Answer yes, and it could mean that you have an underperforming career because you have yet to face, embrace and harness the many curses and the awesome powers for success that come with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

Are You One of Us Too?

ADHD can be the power plant behind your success as it has been for many household names: presidents JFK, Abraham Lincoln, Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson are ours. Creative geniuses Dali, Disney, Bill Gates and Picasso are ours. Entertainers Will Smith, Pink, Stevie Wonder, Mozart and Beethoven are ours. Major achievers in every field of endeavor are ours; and once the code is cracked, we can be successful not just in one field, but in many fields of endeavor like fellow travelers Thomas Edison, Steve Jobs, and Da Vinci; the lists are endless.

When we face, learn to manage and harness the power of ADHD to our goals, people like us become the world's great achievers. When we don't, it's disaster for ourselves and anyone else who strays into our warp-speed orbits. I know these things because ADHD has propelled both my greatest achievements and my life's deepest disasters.

They Were Wrong About Us

Growing up, I was always in trouble. Family and teachers constantly me told I was a screw-up and that I would never amount to anything because I never finished what I started. You know this very story because you have experienced the same commentary.

So what happened to the kid who couldn't finish things? Today I am a New York Times best-selling career author who has written 14 books that are published in foreign language editions around the world; I co-own a couple of optical patents for red eye reduction that were sold on TV, oh and I last danced with a professional ballet company at age 55.

You Can Crack The Code

Crack the code and you can move from frustration and failure to success and fulfillment. I screwed up so many things over the years, then I just stumbled on the code and life blossomed more than I could have ever imagined. The more you face and embrace yourself for who you really are, the better you'll be able to recognize and manage the demons (mind-skips and impulsivity to name a couple) and harness your very special powers of achievement to change the trajectory of your professional life. You are not alone, we are legion. If you are interested in making ADHD the engine of your success rather than the living nightmare it is, talk to me and I will write more.

Next: 6 Ways To Be A Better Communicator

Stories from AARP

Keala

Aloha Martin, my name is Keala Scott and i am in a complete hole. I have been living with ADHD and hearing from my therapists and my own self evaluations; my condition is really severe sir. But i feel powerful on most things i can do, but it seems to be everything but my own school work. In the health academy in high school is the worse, it is all projects for kapolei high school is a project based school. Martin, my mother is starting to give up on me and so are my teachers...i feel really alone in my situation and i do need help on how i can actually be successful as you are. Mr. Yate, you past experiences are closely similar to mine. I hope there is a way for me. Mahalo Mr. Yate

November 29 2012 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo

Hi, how are you?

October 18 2011 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
syshie

I was also constantly told that I would never be a "somebody". Teachers brushed me off as lazy or stupid, and I grew up wondering if I would ever feel pride in myself.
Flash foward to today -- I'm one of the most successful students at my school. I try harder, better myself constantly, and I do it all for pleasure. I'm almost ready to take the world by storm, and when my books come out, you're going to know it's me.
It took me a long time to figure out that feeling inside of me that kept telling me, "Just wait, one day you're going to be someone spectuacular." But, as it turns out, that someone "big" was who I was all along.
A life that is challenging offers greater rewards for those who are looking for them. I am not ashamed of who I am, nor do I frown upon the range of struggles I have overcome. I do not wish my life was any different than it was, because I am exactly who I should be.

...And, honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

As for your article, I do so hope you intend to follow up your post regardless of how many replies you get. There are kids who, like you and I, are struggling with ADHD and looking for someone, ~anyone~, who understands. I'll be looking out for you as well.

October 18 2011 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fmichae45

I agree with fisk62 - What is this code? Without medication.

October 18 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weupynder

So what is this code that you speak of? I am inspired by your success and was not aware that so many highly successful people had ADHD. I would do just about anything to be able to deal with this, the exception being medication because I do not see this as really dealing with it, more like masking it. If you stop taking the medication, your are back to an ADHD "normal". I have all kinds of life dreams and have actually started the process only to lose focus and stop. It has been the "story" of my life.

October 18 2011 at 8:48 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
madywol

Can you verify that these historical figures were suffering from this condition? Please cite sources.

October 18 2011 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weupynder

As an adult with ADHD, I can say that there is little sympathy for us in the workforce. It is something that you really cannot explain to people or employers. I have had so many embarrassing moments in my adult workday life that can be attributed to ADHD that I have gotten to the point where I just expect it to happen everyday. I don't even try to explain it, I just let people believe that I am dumber than a rock. It rules every aspect of you life really. I have made decisions that have left people scratching their head and left me going , wow, did I really do that? It is hard for us to stop and consider all of the angles. We adult ADHD"ers are not unaware of how we come across to co-workers or employers, we simply cannot focus on one thing for very long. If you cannot focus on something then it does not stick with you. This is just one of the many, many negative aspects of ADHD.

October 18 2011 at 8:31 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
gumshoe218

I want to hear much more on this ADHD subject for adults. Please keep writing. There's nothing I want more than to find a career I would actually like and stay engaged with for years to come.

October 18 2011 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply