The Secrets Of Your Boss' Salary

Payscale

boss and employee salary comparisonWhether they manage every minute of your day or disappear most afternoons to "lunch meetings," you know one thing for sure about your boss. He or she probably makes more money than you do. How much more? It depends on your gig.

Online salary database PayScale.com put together a list of common boss-subordinate relationships and calculated the earnings differences. Chances are your boss is doing well financially.

Do Bosses Really Earn Much More?

A boss usually has more experience, expertise and, sometimes, more education than the people they manage. How well are they rewarded for the extras they bring to the table? Typically very well.

In PayScale's list of the most common boss and subordinate relationships reported by users, the smallest difference in pay was 45 percent, between a mechanical engineer and a senior mechanical engineer. Who wouldn't love a 45 percent raise? That senior mechanical engineer, though, reports nine more years of experience, on average, than the engineers they manage. It seems they have earned the raise.

The highest difference in pay was 284 percent, between a dental assistant and a dentist. Clearly, the dental assistant has a lot of work to do, and school to pay for, before earning a DDS. But, if they are interested in that line of work, they can look forward to bigger homes, nicer cars and fatter paychecks for the rest of their lives as the doctor in charge.

Jobs where you earn less than your boss fall into two categories, according to Al Lee, director of quantitative analysis at PayScale. "For some jobs, you may be junior now but you can learn from your boss and work your way up. With other gigs, you won't get the big bucks unless you get a degree and come back as the boss," says Lee.

Lee recommends that if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on tuition, try to get into a job position where you can work your way up the management chain while working. He gave junior copywriters who become senior copywriters as an example.

What Bosses Earn

The following are some manager-direct report relationships and comparisons of their education level, years of experience and annual pay.

Level

Years of Experience

Median Annual Salary

$183,000

$88,700

% Difference in Pay

106%

Source: Salary data provided by online salary database PayScale.com. All annual incomes listed are for full-time workers with varied years of experience and include any bonuses, commissions or profit sharing.

Next: Majority Of U.S. Companies Asking Employees To Work Longer Hours

Stories from FINS Finance

dlmcons

I ran a small construction company for thirty years and if i ever caught one of my employees trying to sneak a peek at my checks,i would have fired him for insubordination. I started work at eleven to help my family out in real hard times in the coal mines. I went to school and worked a full forty hour week at a market for fifty cents an hour. It felt damn good! Then i started full time construction right out of school.I worked my butt off to get what i got. This class warfare stuff Obama is trying will just get him fired too. A person who has the will to work and not whine about someone else making more money will do ok. You get what you work for in America.Thank God!

October 19 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt Briley

WOW I want a BLACK BELT but want to put in the hard work. I should get one anyways. Poor me I am being descriminated against because I want it to be easy.

October 19 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patti

so the big secret is the boss makes more? I think we all figured that out a long time ago.

October 19 2011 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pilothead

I am the boss ,, and the owner of a small business that I started all by myself 30 years ago with NO help from anyone!! Damn right I make more than my subordinates,, I also get ALL the headaches that go with the territory. It really steams me when they complain they don't get paid enough or get enough bennefits.I put one fellow in charge for a week ,, told him to run the place as if he were in my shoes ,and take on ALL the problems etc ,, he lasted 4 days. He didn't like the 12 hour days, or taking the crap from customers, vendors , employees, lawyers , accountants,on and on. So yeah,, I make the big bucks , and not ashamed at all about it.

October 19 2011 at 6:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gr8bsn

A pathetic attempt at class warfare. Guess what? Your boss does a lot more work with you and is responsible for the productivity of you and all of your coworkers. Do their job for 60 minutes and you'd be under the table crying for your mama.

October 19 2011 at 3:14 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
wjacoby386

Is this another feeble attempt to fan the flames of class warfare...with shoddily selected comparisons, at that?

October 18 2011 at 11:56 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Double check that degree for school teachers. Everyone in NY has a Masters if they have taught 5 years.

October 18 2011 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric's comment
kyle torok

and in ohio most are lower

October 18 2011 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to kyle torok's comment
tl3space

Keep going lower for Arizona... next year I'll have my Masters and be making only 36k.

October 19 2011 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
gr8bsn

Ditto the Arizona comment. I have a teaching degree & certificate in Arizona and I can not afford to work there because the salary is so low. So much for making a difference...

October 19 2011 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Denny

Hey, I'm a boss and some of my employees make more than I do.......I have to keep the business running and there are times when I can't take a pay because the money is not there.....My employees... ALWAY GET THEIR WEEKLY CHECKS......but many times I can't take one because there are too many bills due that have to be paid so that we can stay in business.......as it works out, even though, on paper, my salary is more than theirs, in the long run we almost make the same amount of money........

October 18 2011 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Denny's comment
gr8bsn

I delivered pizza through college and I actually learned that I made more money in a week than my assistant store manager (we were cool and could talk about that stuff off the record). The only difference was that he had better benefits and a chance to be promoted within the company in a few years. Still, driving was a lot less stressful than managing a bunch of college kids & teenagers and paid more.

October 19 2011 at 3:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tony

I worked for me too in cedar rapids ia for 9 years, I seen idiot managers come and go during my whole career there. I trained many of them. I made more then most of them because I was better then them. The last a hole named al was my last supervisor, after 1 and a half years working with that piece of crap and getting put down and slammed all the time, he finally just came out & said you`re fired, you make too much. I had the last laugh, al got fired & the plase closed down all cause I wasn't there any more. Ha ha, good riddance to both of them.

October 19 2011 at 5:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
HR Design Group

If this article were to earn any cred or respect it would require that it mention that "bosses" have more responsibility. They must manage monsterdeadhead, that's worth something! In most cases if they don't produce results they are not bosses for long. Education + experience + results make an individual more valuable to an employer and that equates to how they're compensated, which is the employer's call. Look to sports, TV, and movies for your examples! This article could have inspired, insteaded it misled because it left out many important factors of compensation design.

October 18 2011 at 5:33 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
MONSTERDEADHEAD

more education.dose not meen they our smart.my boss is education more they i.but he has no common sense.at all.he can not fix things.dont no how.he no's how to piss worker off.if thats smart .i wonder what.a genius is.i fix all pob.obviously.it comes down to he fixed it.he is a christian.(lol)hes a demon.

October 18 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply