The Retailers Hiring The Most Workers This Holiday Season

best places for seasonal workersEach year, hundreds of thousands of temporary workers are hired by retailers to handle the demands of the holiday season. The number of seasonal workers added is considered a bellwether for the economy. This season, the projected number of additional hires is unchanged from last year and sales are forecast to be $465 billion, up 2.8% from last year. It is not a recovery when things to improve from a bad year. While some retailers are doing well, others are reducing their seasonal hiring substantially. 24/7 Wall St. looked at the retailers hiring the most people this year to illustrate how important this trend is to the economy and these businesses.

Companies hire seasonal workers for a number of reasons: They are cheap, often earning $8 to $10 per hour, and are willing to work odd hours. This enables retailers to satisfy increased demands without adding a permanent expense to their bottom line.

The massive influx of seasonal workers, which can increase the total workforce of a company by 100% or more, serves another function for retailers: Hiring so many people for a short period allows employers to perform a large-scale talent search. A select group of seasonal workers who prove themselves can get full-time positions after the holidays are over. According to Anne Marie Bishop, JCPenney spokeswoman, "Getting a seasonal position allows new associates to experience working at JCPenney and decide if it suits them," and it allows employers to try out new employees.

24/7 Wall St.'s analysis found that some companies, such as Macy's )and Kohl's, are adding 4% to 5% more than last year's seasonal hires because their businesses have grown. The companies' stocks are up.

Other companies are hiring fewer workers because they are doing worse than their competition. Best Buy's net income is flat from the previous year and its stock is down 40%. In September, the company cut its profit outlook significantly. To offset the reduction in seasonal hiring, the electronics retailer is extending the hours of its current workers.

24/7 Wall St. used data from a variety of sources, including company press releases; Challenger, Gray & Christmas; the National Retail Federation; as well as various news outlets to identify seven major American retailers that plan on hiring the most seasonal employees this year. We also looked at the companies' revenue, total employees and the total number of stores to see how these businesses are faring and how significant the holiday hiring season is for them.

These are the retailers hiring the most people this holiday season.

Next: Majority Of U.S. Companies Asking Employees To Work Longer Hours

Stories from 24/7 Wall St.

My Wonderful Me

I retired in 2002 and found out I could not live on Soc. Sec. and my good looks. lol
I started a handyman business and did ok and found out if you do good work your referals grow and grow.
The key to my success was the wording I put on my truck signs, "Retired, small jobs preferred" People do not want to call a large contractor to change out a set of facuets or fix any small job. Each time I've done a small job and do it well, it leads to fixing a broken window or painting a bathroom for the same customer. Now I'm so busy I turn down work because I can't keep up with it and at 71 years old it takes me 6 hours to do what the younger fellows can do in 2 hours. lol I recommend prayer also, I ask the Lord to help me and I give HIm the credit for putting the right people in my path and helping me. It's rough getting old and working every day. I don't mind getting old but what's hurting my feelings is getting ugly also. lol
Duke of Earl

October 15 2011 at 8:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to My Wonderful Me's comment
hwallflower

WHERE ARE U LOCATED

October 15 2011 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mom

Wow! I too have bad credit now due to losing my job and suffering a mental breakdown because I am not able to pay my bills. I am looking for a job but I didn't know that companies run credit checks. The future doesn't look so bright for me now. How I wish it was like the time when the person doing the hiring would consider that you have a family and need to work to put food on the table and sees that you have the work ethic and qualifications to do the job but just fell on hard times and needs a hand to get back on your feet. It's not like it was my choice to be in this position. It's sad that one's future lays in the hands of the person holding your credit report and doesn't see above that to the PERSON sitting in front of him (or her). I guess the day of human compassion is long gone. :(

October 15 2011 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mom's comment
My Wonderful Me

Like your statement and it's so true. It's like if you have bad credit that automatically makes you a bad worker. Wow! times have really changed, no trust, no second chance, we have become numbers and no longer people. Hope you get a wonderful job, if I were doing the hiring I would hire you for your honesty which should be what employers should look for also.
Duke of Earl

October 15 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dlhlvsarh2006

Wheny ou get hungry enough you will indeed work for 7.31 an hour and be happy about it ! unless of course what you are really wanting to be s a lazy ass and live off food stamps and be a welfare rat .. yeah I said it so ....

October 15 2011 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trudy Marie

They won't even look at you if you are OVER 59!!! Trust me---been there many, many times and done that old kiss ass for NOTHING!

October 15 2011 at 12:54 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Hi Sweetie

If it wasn't for our Far East friends we wouldn't have any Holidays here in the U.S.....no toys , shoes , fake trees and ornaments, appliances and electronics....big ugly boxy stores dotting our landscape filled with Chinese crap....now , I'm getting angry...lol

October 15 2011 at 9:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gponaples

i have just moved from Naples fl, where the temp holiday jobs market was very strong. I now live in southern Maine where unless you drive 20 plus miles, none of these temp jobs exist.

October 15 2011 at 12:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ricringer2

Companies in America have succeded in ruining the middle class. If your out of work more than three months and over qualified for a position your potential job just went to some illegal or a young entry level student out of college willing to work for half of what you earned over many years dedicated service you provided to one or any number of employers. It s time to move out of this country who no longer believes in taking care of its hard working middle class. The rich grow richer and the politicians see that it happens.

October 14 2011 at 9:54 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rynosac

I NEED A JOB!!!! PLEASE HIRE ME!!!!!! SOME ONE!!!!!!!! ANYONE!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS IT WITH ALL THESE PEOPLE BEING SO HATEFUL TOWARDS ONE ANOTHER? WHO CARES, SHUT UP, AND SO ON. MORE PEOPLE CARE ABOUT THE HORRIBLE WAGES COMPANIES PAY THESE DAYS THEN THE ONES WHO DO NOT. I GUESS IF YOU SAY YOU DON'T CARE, YOU MUST HAVE A HALF WAY DESCENT JOB. MAYBE THAT IS WHY PAY RATES HAVE GONE DOWN OR HAVE NOT GONE UP FOR 20 YEARS OR MORE. BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T CARE. THEY DON'T THINK! IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU. AND I BET YOU WILL BE CRYING THE LOUDEST. WE DO BETTER WHEN EVERYONE ELSE DOES BETTER ALSO. GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE. 7.31 IS BETTER THAN 0.00. NO KIDDING? ALL THE PERSON SAID WAS THEY COULDN'T MAKE IT ON 7.31 AND THEY ARE CORRECT. DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, BUT THERE AREN'T TO MANY JOBS OUT THERE THAT PAY A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN THAT. IF YOU ARE SO HAPPY TO TAKE SUCH A LOW PAYING JOB THE GO GET ONE. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. MOST PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY RENT,UTILITIES,PHONE,GASOLINE,AND FOOD!! 7.31 DOES NOT QUITE COVER HALF OF THE AVERAGE PERSONS BILLS. WELCOME TO EARTH!!!! JUST WAIT TILL YOU MOVE OUT OF M&D'S HOUSE. OH AND DAWN, HONEY JUST BECAUSE SOME ONE HAS BAD CREDIT IT DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE A THIEF!!! IT MEANS THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO PAY THEIR BILLS FOR VARIOUS POSSIBLE REASONS. NOT ALL OF THEM SELF IMPOSED. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED? THE 7.31 HR JOB THAT THEY CALL PART TIME(35 HOURS) AND DOES NOT PROVIDE AFFORDABLE AND OR ANY INSURANCE AT ALL MIGHT BE A PROBLEM FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS ANY KIND OF RENT,HOUSE OR CAR PAYMENT, OR ANY OTHER BILL THEY ARE UNDER CONTRACT TO PAY. IT IS SO EASY TO GET BAD CREDIT DURING A DIVORCE AND QUITE A FEW MORE SITUATIONS THAT EVEN SOME ONE WHO IS RESPONSIBLE LIKE YOU DAWN MAY FIND THEMSELVES IN AT ANY TIME. I KNOW, YOU NEVER THAUGHT OF ANY OF THIS BECAUSE YOU WERE TO BUSY THINKING ABOUT THAT BILL THAT IS DUE SOON! THAT'S GOOD! WHAT IS BAD IS THAT A LOT OF TIMES, THE GUY WITH BAD CREDIT IS THE ONE WHO NEEDS THE JOB THE MOST! HE MAY HAVE KIDS TO FEED. HE MAY BE TAKING CARE OF HIS PARENTS OR HIS WIFE THAT WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER AND AGAIN, THAT GREAT INSURANCE YOUR MINIMUM WAGE JOB THAT PHILLIP IS SO HAPPY TO GET DIDN'T COVER HALF OF THE 300.000.00 DOLLARS WORTH OF MEDICAL BILLS THAT THE HOSPITAL WANTS NOW SO THE DOCTOR CAN BUY HIS DAUGHTER A NEW MERCEDES.(SORRY DOC! NOT ALL OF YOU ARE EXTORTIONISTS!!) MAYBE HE JUST NEEDS TO MAKE A HOUSE PAYMENT ON THAT 5 MILLION DOLLAR HOUSE!(HE DESERVES IT, HE WORKED VERY HARD IN SCHOOL!!)POINT IS DAWN, THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE GOOD CREDIT DOESN'T MEAN A WHOLE LOT. JUST MEANS YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO GET IN WAY OVER YOUR HEAD AND END UP LIKE ALL THESE THIEVES WITH BAD CREDIT YOU TALK ABOUT. I THINK EMPLOYERS LOOK AT IT MORE FROM THE RESPONSIBILITY ASPECT. IF YOU PAY YOUR BILLS ON TIME, YOU MIGHT SHOW UP FOR WORK ON TIME! WITH THE ATTITUDE YOU HAVE, YOU MAY PASS UP SOMEONE WHO IS VERY QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT HAD ANY BAD LUCK YET!!

October 14 2011 at 8:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to rynosac's comment
sindfetish

My God...have a Valium...or two !

October 15 2011 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sindfetish's comment
dlhlvsarh2006

lol

October 15 2011 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
blindskeeter

You should get a job where you are allowed to talk

October 15 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toddisit

Yeah, go help the wealthy job outsourcers prosper who make everything in China, bring it back here, and take jobs away in the US, plus give away your holidays in the process!

October 14 2011 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grlnd126

Hey Karen, maybe your mother is a poor choice for a wife. It isn't always the husband my dear little girl.

October 14 2011 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply