Pink Slipped? 4 Steps To Do Immediately After A Layoff

layoff pink slip tipsBy Tony Morrison

Getting laid off stinks. A lot. It stinks for the company, it stinks for the management, and it especially stinks for the employees.

In today's economy, many Americans are dealing with the consequences of layoffs each and every day. Today, it's not uncommon for one person to be the victim of a layoff multiple times in their career.

We all know what happens when someone is laid off, but what happens after? Just like a nasty storm, here are four steps to R-I-D-E out the storm:

1. Reflect

Getting laid off is an incredibly jarring experience. You might be feeling angry, sad, confused, or some combination of those three. It's completely normal. Many recently laid off folks think that ripping their supervisors a new one is the best plan of action.

It's not.

Instead, take some time for yourself to reflect on your employment there, relationships with colleagues, and accomplishments. Forget about anything negative and leave it behind you.

In the next few days, decompress, and just relax. Ever wonder what it's like to go to a cinema for a matinee on Thursday morning? Now's your chance.

2. Inventory

Once you've calmed down, it's time to get organized for your job search. Take a personal inventory. Collect your thoughts, inventory your past work and skills, review and organize your personal network(s), and figure out what you have and what you will need for this new chapter of your career. Determine if you want to continue following this career path, try something new, or if you want to go back to school. Consider your financial situation to see what you need now and what you need to carry you to the next stage of your career.

Check out: Talent Connection Episode 17: Job Search Stress: How to Manage It & Where to Get Help

3. Develop

Develop a plan for your job search. Blindly sending your resume to tons of employers can be dangerous and unproductive. Research the companies that interest you and tap your personal and professional networks to connect with people at your target companies. Update your resume, your cover letters, and your social media profiles (especially on career networking sites).

4. Execute

You've thought about where you have been and where you want to go. You know what skills and experience you have and need to pursue your dream job. And, you have mapped out a plan to earn a job at a great company that interests you. Now, it's time to execute that plan.

The common passive approach of posting your resume on some big job board, or spraying your resume out to every remotely interesting job, and hoping you will be noticed does not work. Rather, follow your target companies and participate in discussions with thought leaders on professional forums, meet business and thought leaders online and at industry events, and stay up-to-date with trends and technology in your field.

What do you think? What other steps should recently laid off folks take immediately after leaving their jobs? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Tony Morrison is the Vice President at Cachinko, a unique professional community where social networking and job opportunities come together. His roles include sales, marketing, and business development. He is passionate about building B2B and B2C client relationships and brings this passion to Cachinko where he focuses on helping job seekers to find their ideal job and employers to find, attract, and engage their next rock star candidates. Find him on Twitter and/or connect with Cachinko on Facebook or Twitter.

Next: Behind The Poverty Numbers: Real Lives, Real Pain

Stories from CNN Money

Come Recommended

Editor

Come Recommended is a content agency specializing in careers, recruiting, and human resources. We're led by Heather R. Huhman, a widely-recognized thought leader and expert in the careers space with a decade of experience as a hiring manager. Our mission is to connect job seekers and employers, which we do through advice-driven, non-advertorial content of all kinds. We believe there’s no greater feeling than helping others fulfill their dreams — whether it's landing their dream job/internship or expanding the team of their dream company.

Randy Arther

No no no never .If you really want to do some thing in your free time you should need to do this.link below.

October 15 2011 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ricky

Go to a cinema? in this day & age of economic recession? You have GOT to be kidding me! Health insurance has gone up an average of 40%! Price per gallon is an average $3.20!, And the recently laid off should go to a cinema? PLEASE

October 10 2011 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rcata91880

None of you know what you're talking about! The unemployment problem can be solved by following my man, Herman Cain. All we needs to do is chant, "9-9-9 and we's all be fine!" "9-9-9- and we's all be fine." Come on brothers, chant with me, "9-9-9- and we's all be fine."

October 10 2011 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
capucine0512

What do you do when the Company you left doesn't give reference. Only the corporate office in another state can give the normal mandatory info, when referred.

October 10 2011 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sunme86

I HATE SCRUTCHERS, WHY IS HE PAYIN THE UNION, WHEN HE CANT EVEN WALK HE SAYS, HE NEEDS TO TRY FOR DISABILTIE BUT I DONT THINK HE WILL GET IT, HERE N DELAWARE, HE JUST DONT WANT TO WORK, HE IS A LAZY BOMB= N LOOKN FOR A WOMAN TO PAMPER HIS ASS= SO THAT IS WHAT HE IS= HE GOES FROM ONE WOMAN TO NEXT= IS THERE ANY NEW JOBS WHERE ANYONE ELSE LIVES?? IF SO LET ME KNOW A DESCENT ONE THAT IS WHERE I CAN ENJOY WORKIN N A SITTIN DOWN JOB THAT IS? THAT PAYS WELL,??? OH WELL IF THERE ISA SITTIN DOWN JOB OR PAPER WORK LET ME KNOW OF, I CAN ONLY STAND FOR FOUR HRS A DAY, OF STANDIN, NO ONE CANT HELP ME EXCEPT FOR ME, N LOOKN FOR A JOB, BUT I KN OW IM NOT LAZY LIKE HE IS= EX IS A LAZY **** N MY BOOK= I WONT ANSWER MY PHONE LATER ANYWAYS= OH WELL I TRY TO STAY BUSY N NOT SLEEP ALL THE TIME LIKE HE DOES= SO I GO TO DENTIST = HE IS MAKIN ME BROKE, I PAY FOR DENTIST N CAR PAYMENT, N DOCTOR BILLS= I HAVE FEW THAT IS= OH WELL LIFE IS HARD BUT U HAVE TO GO ON= I LIVE BOA N THE PAST, I CAN WRITE A BOOK OF THAT= PLACE, = I DIDNT THINK FMLA DID THERE JOB EITHER= I KNEW OF THERE JOB THEN THEY DID, I HAD MORE PAPER WORK ON THEN MANAGERS DID ON ME, SO I WON MY CASE, MY DAD HELPED ME ALSO WINNIN IT?? SO YOUR LIFE STIL HAS TO GO ON WHEN U LOOSE A JOB OR GET FIRED? IT IS DEPRESSING BUT WHAT CAN U DO= U JUST HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT TIL THE DAY U DIE?? PLEASE CREATE MORE JOBS N DELAWARE INSTEAD OF TALKIN ABOUT IT= I HATE THAT PEOPLE R TRYIN TO TAKE SSI OR SSA AWAY OR WHATEVER N THEY R JEALOUSE, THEY WORKED HARD ALL THOSE YRS TO GET SSI OR SSA,= THEY DESERVE THAT? THEY NEED MORE JOBS N DELAWARE OR ANYWHERE ELSE N THE WORLD= TO ME I THINK THE ENCONOMY IS GETTIN WORSEN, I D RATHER BE BACK N HIGH SCHOOL WHERE I HAD BOYFRIENDS N NO PROBLEMS AT ALL N LIFE= LIFE GOES ON= U CANT DRULL ON THE PAST? PUT THAT BEHIND I SAY TO MYSELF= STUPID FOOTBALL IS ON TONITE= HAVE A GOOD LIFE N FINDIN A JOB TO ME N TO ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE = GOOD LUCK TO ALL
PEACE

October 10 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sunme86

HELLO= MY NAME IS MICHELE = FROM BORIN DELAWARE WHERE THERE IS NO JOBS AT ALL= I GOT LET GO OF MY JOB DO TO GOIN TO THE DENTIST N LACK OF ATTENDANCE WHERE I HAD ONE DAY PER WEEK OF FMLA, LEAVE, BUT NO DID THEY CARE,?? NO THEY DIDNT?? THEY DIDNT CARE OF WHAT I WAS GOIN THROUG WITH MY MOUTH OR HOW MANY HRS I WAS AT THE DENTIST OR OF MY BILL THAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR?? THEY HAVE THERE FAVORITES OF WHO THEY LIKE N WHO THEY WANT TO KEEP N THERE?? SOON THERE WILL BE LAY OFFS N THAT DEPARTMENT, N I CANT WAIT, THEY HAVE THERE FAVORITES,= N THEY WERE JUST HARD ON ME DO TO MY BROTHER N LAW= IT IS HARD TO WORK FOR A RELATIVE N THE SAME BUILDIN, N MY BOOK= I DIDNT THINK SOME OF THINGS WERE FAIR TO ME N THERE= I DIDNT TALK TO EITHER MANAGERS FOR EIGHT MONTHS, BEFORE I KNEW I WAS GOIN TO BE LET GO= WHO WON THE CASE?? I DID= IM GLAD= IT WAS A BLESSIN FOR MY MOUTH TO PAY FOR N TO TO LIVE OFF ON, 216 00 ISNT MUCH TO LIVE OFF ON BUT IT IS SOMETHIN= MY EX IS A LAZY ****, AN HE SPENDS HIS MONEY OR FOR BILLS N HAS NOTHIN LEFT OUT OF HIS UNEMPLOYMENT CHECK, HE SAYS HE CANT WORK DO TO HIS ARTHRIS, N HE HAS NOTHIN LEFT SO I DONT FEEL SORRY FOR HIM WHEN HE GOES TO YARD SALES, N HE SAYS HE CANT WALK A LONG DISTANCE, SO IF HE IS PAYIN FOR HIS DAUGHTER CAR, HE HAS NOTHIN LEFT OUT OF THAT EITHER, HE SAYS HE WANTS TO TRY TO SAVE ALSO, HE IS FULL OF **** N MY BOOK= I DONT TRUST HIM N HE HAS LEFT ME SIX TIMES= SO HE IS A LAZY **** N LIVIN OFF OF UNEMPLOYMENT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS OUT THERE?? I HOPE THEY DO COME TO MY OLD DEPARTMENT = I HATE TO SAY THAT BUT THERE R SOME LAZY ASS PEOPLE N THERE THAT DONT WANT TO WORK, N THERE ONLY N THERE FOR ONE REASON DO TO GROUP HOME PEOPLE, LIKE I SAID THEY DIDNT GIVE TWO ***** OF WHAT I WAS GOIN TRHOUGH MY MOUTH BEIN N THE CHAIR FOR THREE TO FOUR HRS, THEN WANTED ME TO GO BACK TO WORK= I WAS GOIN TO BED, WHETHER I HAD ONE DAY OR NOT? SO IM GLAD I WON MY CASE N IM GLAD HE SAID OK TO MY CASE N THE CHIEF ALSO SIGNED MY PAPER WORK, THAT I DIDNT EVEN MEET OR SAW N APPEAL, I HAD THREE MANAGERS AGAINST ME ON A RAINY DAY, N I WONT FORGET THERE FACES TIL THE DAY I DIE= IM GLAD I GET UNEMPLOYMENT = IT STINKS TO GO INTO UNEMPLOYMENT TO GO EXTEND, BUT U HAVE TO GO N THERE FOR THE MONEY?? IF U WANT MONEY THAT BAD TO LIVE OFF ON?? I ALSO RECEIVE SSDI, THAT IS A BLESSIN = CAUSE ONCE MY UN RUNS OUT IM LIVIN OFF OF THAT FOR WHILE TIL AFTER I GET MY MOUTH DONE? THERE R NO JOB S N DELAWARE THEY NEED TO CREATE MORE, N INSTEAD OF TALKIN ABOUT DAM JOBS, = I HATE THAT ****= IT IS HARD FOR ME SINCE I HAVE A LEARNIN DISABITLIE = SO I MIGHT JUST WAIT TIL AFTER I MY MOUTH BUT STILL LOOK N THE MEAN TIME, THEY ONLY CARED FOR THERE SELVES N THERE=MY EX IS SO DAM LAZY = HE DONT WANT TO WORK, HE IS SO TIRED= HE IS BORED, IM HIS LAST RESORT TO TALK TO= I DONT KNOW IF I WANT TO EVEN TALK TO HIM ANYMORE OR SEE HIM ANYMORE= WHEN HE HAS HURT MY FEELINS TOO MANY TIMES= SO I MIGHT NOT ANSWER MY PHONE FOR FEW DAYS,= ANYONE LOOKN FOR ONE THING THAT IS MY EX, = HE IS A SCRUTCHER I HA

October 10 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wooseybear

There's only one minor flaw with this article..... THERE ARE NO JOBS!

October 10 2011 at 7:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
matt42mclendon

I am not getting any younger and I am tired of being smothered by being employed. I am a creative person and I have ideas but I find them nearly impossible to proliferate because I am too busy exhausting myself to promote someone else's substance. I am tired. I can't go on working hard within the psycological confines of work and ignore my own soveriegn substance feeling mentally and spiritually malnutritioned. I am tired of living pay check to pay check and the fact that how I live my life out is only a vicious cycle of working hard for someone else just to pay bills and it is effecting into my home life and caused rifts with me and my wife. I need to be free from traditional working so I can be free to be me so that I may distinguish myself in the hopes that later on it would benefit many other people. I don't want to do resumes anymore and reporting for work feeling that I am constantly crucifying myself. No one has the right to anyone. No one is entitled to anyone. Charity is voluntary. I want to be charitable but I need my space I need myself the way God intended.

October 10 2011 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MB

MOST JOB LISTINGS ARE SCAMS
I notice when looking for work on line almost all make you go to a website and register before applying. Why not just let you send the resume and cover letter? Because most of the time the job doesn't really exist, they just want your info and email to send you junk mail and other marketing offers like for the trade schools.. You end up wasting 15 to 30 minutes filling out the registration for nothing.

If we didn't have one of the most Goddamn corrupt governments’ on the planet, they would not be able to get away this crap. Goddamn our government is nothing but a stinking cesspool of corruption

October 10 2011 at 7:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
MB

One Thing Both Democrats & Republicans Can Agree on
Concerning Unemployment and the Deficit

Both Democrats and Republicans admit that if they were to penalize the corporations and businesses that offshore their labor (instead of giving them tax breaks), raise import taxes and re-regulate business, they could use these billions (maybe trillions) to bring down the deficit and of course it would stop most of the offshoring and bring many jobs back which would bring in even more billions of income tax.

However this would infuriate the filthy rich corporations as the top managers and CEO’s would lose billions in bonuses which means little to no bribe money and campaign donations for the politicians.

The politicians say “HELL F**KING NO to that” The people of America can “eat S H * T “The filthy rich corporations and banks now completely control this country by controlling us so too “GODDAMN BAD “.,Our six digit salaries and 6 digit pensions are not enough. We live for that bribe and campaign money and there is No WAY in “GODDAMN Hell we’re going to give that up”

October 10 2011 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.