Of the many modern luxuries we take for granted – and there are many – few are as underappreciated as electricity. Think about how often you flip on a light switch, charge your phone, or turn on the TV. Heck, the computer you're using to read this likely is plugged into an outlet (and if not, your battery is probably running low). A life without electricity is difficult to fathom. Not until a thunderstorm knocks the power out do we realize how much our daily routine depends on electricity.
We thought it might be fun to see how many of us can spend our days working with currents, wires and all the other electrical components. Take the following quiz to determine if you have what it takes to be an electrician.
1. A charged atom is known as a (n)
2. Materials which permit the flow of electrons are referred to as...
3. If three resistors with values 5, 10, and 15 ohms respectively are connected in parallel, the combined total resistance is ____ ohms.
4. Pliers are classified by their:
a. length and width
b. cutting and non-cutting ability
c. handle and nose shapes
d. nose shape and intended work
5. 3' 6" + 2' 3" =
a. 5' 8"
b. 5' 9"
c. 5' 10"
d. 5' 11"
6. For dwelling units, the Code requires a minimum of _______ for the kitchen small appliance load.
a. one 15 ampere
b. two 15 ampere circuits
c. one 20 ampere circuit
d. two 20 ampere circuits
7. Every dining room of a dwelling unit requires receptacle outlets to be installed so that no point along the floor line in any wall space more than _____ feet, measured horizontally, from an outlet.
8. Which of the following is a unit of electrical power?
9. Which statement describes the operation of diodes
a. Diodes allow current to flow when the anode is negative in relation to the cathode.
b. Diodes allow current to flow when the anode is positive in relation to the cathode.
c. Diodes are only used in dc systems.
d. Never use a diode to rectify ac.
10. On a 2400 volt regulator that has 16 steps and is rated a ten percent what is the value of each step in volts?
1. a | 2. b | 3. c | 4. d | 5. b | 6. d | 7. a | 8. a | 9. b | 10. a
How many answers did you get correct?
1-4: You're just flickering – you need a little more work to really shine.
5-7: You're glowing with knowledge! With a little work you could be an electrician.
8-10: Congrats! You are the brightest bulb in the bunch!
Stories from AskMen