Compiling a resume in which the majority of your experience comes from retail may seem difficult at first. "I worked at this store, I sold these products" is the typical mindset of many retail employees. However, with a little thought, you can make your retail experience work for you. Think about what you've done to go above and beyond the typical employees at your store. Have you received any accolades or awards? What have you done that is quantifiable by numbers or percentages?
500 Berry St. • Chicago, IL 60601 • (312) 555-1020
Retail sales professional with seven years' experience. Proven history of first-rate leadership, customer service and sales ability. Excellent merchandising, retail math and communication skills.
The Big Store; Chicago, IL
Assistant Manager, 4/2009 - Present
- Manage store with monthly sales volume of $2 million+.
- Hire, schedule and train 60+ staff members.
- Launched customer-retention program using monthly, emailed coupons. Signed up more than 3,000 customers and increased overall store sales by 15 percent during first six months of program.
- Won national customer service award for managing store with highest customer satisfaction rating.
- Increased overall store sales by 30 percent during tenure.
- Implemented and created curriculum for staff in-service days, to help sales associates learn better customer service and sales skills.
Pretty Clothes; Chicago, IL
Department Manager, 1/2006 - 4/2009
- Promoted from sales associate to department manager.
- Oversaw children's clothing department and 12 staff members.
- Reduced department losses by 62 percent.
- Provided excellent department customer service through rectifying complaints, exchanging merchandise and answering questions.
- Managed daily department shipments and inventory.
Sales Associate, 12/2004 - 12/2006
- Met or exceeded sales quota for all 24 months of employment.
- Top-selling employee during 2005 holiday season.
- Won "Rookie of the Year" award for excellent customer service and sales efforts.
Hudson Community College, 2002-2004
A.S., Retail Management
Next: Adventures In Retail: Confessions From The Fitting Room
Stories from Glassdoor.com