Best Buy Slashes Amount of Seasonal Hires

Best Buy cutting seasonal hiresSeasonal hiring will be the same if not worse than last year. That was the not so festive forecast from the employment services firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas last week. And it's not surprising with our currently drab consumer climate. The U.S. Commerce Department recently reported anemic retail sales for August and downwardly revised July results. Best Buy Co. seems to confirm the news, recently announcing that it will almost halve its number of seasonal employees.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Last year, the largest U.S. electronics retailer hired 29,000 temporary workers for the year's final three months. This year, they're looking for 15,000, with the extra slack picked up by their regular "experienced and seasoned" staffers, in the words of CEO Brian Dunn.

Best Buy has been struggling in the last few years because of more frugal consumers, as well as competition from sites like Amazon and the popularity of discount stores like Walmart. The store's second-quarter sales were flat at $11.3 billion, less than expected, and second-quarter profits dropped to $177 million from $254 million last year.

"The consumer continues to be cautious," Dunn told The Associated Press. "That's not just a blip, that's the new normal."

Best Buy also plans to decrease its real estate, increase its online presence, increase tech support for customers, and offer more deals on goods below $100 to help lure in more shoppers and give profits a jolt.

There is some good news for those looking for seasonal work. Target and Macy's are hiring 92,000 and 78,000 new employees, respectively, for the holidays, a more than last year, and online retailer Zappos is giving 3,000 Americans temporary jobs -- a small dent in the country's unemployment numbers, but triple their seasonal hires in 2010. So while the big box store might be facing tough times, online retailers aren't looking so gloomy. Last year, 25 percent of all Christmas gifts were purchased on the Internet.

Meanwhile, it's important to note that doom and gloom coverage of Christmas spending might actually be a self-fulfilling prophesy, and make consumers as tight-pursed as the media say they will be.

Hiring This Holiday

Next: How To Psych Yourself Up For An Interview

Related Video:

Stories from Glassdoor.com

Claire Gordon

Staff Writer

Claire Gordon has contributed to Slate's DoubleX, the Huffington Post, and the book Prisons: Current Controversies. While an undergraduate at Yale University and a research fellow at Yale graduate school, she spoke on panels at Yale and Cornell, and reported from Cairo, Tokyo, and Berlin.

Follow Claire on Twitter. Email Claire at claire.gordon@teamaol.com. Add Claire to your Google+ circles.

TinkerBell281093

I don't care what anyone says, I love Best Buy. Luckily, I snagged a job there this holiday season as seasonal, and I couldn't be happier. I plan on working my butt off to stay as a permanent employee. I didn't know they slashed the number of new hires. This is news to me.

October 04 2011 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thescot

Looks like worst buy has figured out that customers are on to their return policy and bait and switch. They are going to have a very bad Christmas as far as I am concerned, I would never buy anything from them.

September 30 2011 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ks1n4

Best Buy is the greatest!!!

They took my 40hr a week job with bennies and made it 38hrs after 3 years employment.

Good bye Health Insurance vacation and Holiday pay.

Thank You Best Buy and may your sales go in the crapper..

September 30 2011 at 3:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ks1n4's comment
JOY

That's horrible! I hate to hear these kinds of stories. That just goes to show that employers usually couldn't care less about their employees.

September 30 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

And this is new news? What was the prediction on the AOL "Discuss the state of the job market" in 2002? What a fake housing boom built on fraud? Job losses were enough to hurt housing an the fact is the National Association of Realtors was dead wrong in 2003 when it claimed job losses were not bad enough to hurt housing. The Tech Bubble was really an excuse to outsource jobs!

September 30 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
timm

A few years ago I went to purchase an ACER computer at the Best Buy in Harvey, La. When I brought the computer to the counter the employee said the type of computer that is bought tells a lot about a person. So I asked what does this computer say about me to which he replied that "you are cheap and you buy junk". I complained to the store manager and was escorted off the premises. Now this has taught me to go to BB and find out what their price is on an item. I then go to locally owned electronics stores (A-1, Alterman Audio, Savoies, wilsons etc) and can usually get them to match the price or get them within $30.00. They also will offer double manufactures warranties. So if you have the time go to BB find their price and then go to a local store and keep the money in the community.

September 30 2011 at 2:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
chrishu11

Best Buy is halving their seasonal hires. I think I'll be halving my purchases at Best Buy.

Best Buy you might want to rethink this policy.

September 30 2011 at 2:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bbblehead

I won't even step into a Best Buy. They are way overpriced.

September 30 2011 at 1:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dale Wall

Cash for clunkers was a bad idea. BO shuld not bailed out big bisness, if he realy wanted to creat jobs he would get our militery out of other countysthat we are at war with and the $$$ would be spent here for jobs. No he can;t do that the senet can't even pass bills it has ben over 900 days it is the democrat controlled that oboma helth care that was passed by the house nancy p. was the speaker of the house.when the people had enough of the democratswe voted in republican know we have john b. speaker of the house know it is time to get BO out elect a rep. in 2012

September 30 2011 at 1:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rmscribe777

I NEVER buy or do banking online as much as the corporations all try to "persuade" us that it is in our best interests to do so, (translation - IN THEIR best interest for us to do so). And I would NEVER use facebook or twitter to give a corporation or product "free advertising." That being said (The new phrase that makes it look like you are hep)...I make every effort to shop at companies that promote JOBS here in the USA and for Corporations that spend their profits here in America instead of stashing it in an overseas account like the Cayman Islands to avoid paying taxes etc. I refuse to WAIT for shoddy service so if Best Buy gives me the phrase "Your call is important to us, please hold..." or I'm waiting any length of time, I will REFUSE to patronize their store and shop elsewhere. Every dollar you spend is a vote for that company or product. USE IT WISELY. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

September 30 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
nylostintx

well if peopl don't have jobs then how can they spend money on anything like food etc me myself i have been looking for a job for just about two years now i know ever state is very bad an 7.25 a hour come on now how can you feed your family on that or even pay your bills there has to be a much better way then this as far as seasonly jobs everbody is fight for that same position at my age im founding alot more things very hard a company starts to down size your always the frist to go an yes that does really s***k

September 30 2011 at 1:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.