Violently Bullied Girl Gets The Best Kind Of Revenge

bullied girl gets revenge beauty contest"I am beautiful no matter what they say / Words can't bring me down," belted Christina Aguileria in her 2002 hit ballad, "Beautiful." It's old advice for teens haunted by high school bullies: you're better than them, just hold out until graduation and you'll see. Or in Dan Savage's now famous phrase for bullied LGBT youth: It Gets Better.

Now one British girl is proving the cliches right. Chloe Wood was tormented through high school, with classmates calling her "ugly" and a "swot," British slang for a nerd. At one point she was violently attacked by a group of her peers, kicked in the eyes, according to Wood, and ended up in hospital, missing two months of school.

"When I arrived at the school to pick her up after the attack I couldn't believe what I saw," Wood's mother told the Daily Mail. "Her eyes were so swollen she couldn't open them." As a result, Wood struggled through her GCSEs, national standardized exams, like the SATs, that British students take at the end of their sophomore year.

But sure enough, things changed at graduation. The organizer of the pageant Miss Local Beauty spotted pictures of Wood on MySpace, invited her to participate, and Wood ended up taking home the crown. Now she's modeling in her spare time to pay for her education. She's on track to become a doctor. "I spend a lot of my time studying but I keep fit by being a member of the university's cheerleading club," Wood said.

Wood is certainly not "ugly," as professional pageant judges have confirmed, but she remains a "swot," if by swot we mean a hard studier. Turns out, however, that doing your homework, while not necessarily a big social boon in high school, can get you pretty far in the real world.

"I've proven that I won't let the bullies beat me," Wood said.

Interestingly, many of the most successful and dreamy individuals in our celebritocracy were victims of high school abuse. Robert Pattinson, Christian Bale, Winona Ryder, Mila Kunis, and Madonna all overcame their high school torment, and some. As did the three most famous people in the universe: president Obama, Lady GaGa, and Jesus.

Next: Angry Bird Playing Costs Employers $1.5 Billion

Stories from FINS Finance

tonyh5651

Lady GaGa and Obama belong in the same sentence since noone can really figure them out but please leave Jesus out of that group.

October 18 2011 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
craig

Graduated from Yale, never worked a real job. Stupid article. Find out what it's REALLY like to be bullied before you compare that to the worst disaster our country has ever known (Lady Gagme) the worst President our country has ever known (Yes, Mr. Obama) and someone who went thru sheer torture before having stakes pounded thru his hands and feet. You, my dear, need to go back to school. A REAL school.

October 15 2011 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WJR

"As did the three most famous people in the universe: president Obama, Lady GaGa, and Jesus."

Are you serious??? What high school did Jesus attend? The same could be said regarding obama...he won't release any school records, maybe he claims to have been bullied, but I would not believe one word he says... Lady GaGa??????? I am sure that there are millions in the universe who have never heard of her.

October 14 2011 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Snyder

Claire Gordon - this is the worst piece of "journalism" I've read this week. You are one of the problems with media today. Report on a story without putting your own bias in the text. You give the story headline a type of justice served flare. You blow the story angle by equating it with a homosexual "It Gets Better" web site. Then you try to bash Christianity by relating the subject with the death of Jesus. All in all, the is garbage journalism.

October 09 2011 at 10:05 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Mark S

I am a Caucasian living in Cambodia with my 2 year old daughter and in this country women and men. Some of them adults with children of their own, bully her very violently, they will steal here food, even entering our home with a mob during meals just to make her cry.

They entertain themselves by torturing light complected children and I am as yet unable to leave.

Mark C. Staben

October 09 2011 at 9:21 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Barbara N

Maggie, regarding Obama and his upbringing. You would probably understand where our President came from ..had you ever lived on the island of Oahu...as I have had the opportunity to do so. The President is a definite product of his surroundings and fellow classmates at Punahou. This is not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. It's one of the elite schools on the island and a top notch private education that I guarantee a lot of sacrifice had to be made to keep the young man in that school. He's competitive, quick and very intelligent over all...Don't mistake bullying for confidence amongst his peers as a youth.

October 08 2011 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara N

I agree, "the best revenge is being a cheerleader?" Seriously, I don't believe you wrote that article with this angle on the girls modeling and university cheerleader...go team go... I'm speechless...

October 08 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Bullies are vile cowards lacking any semblance of empathy or honor. They attack in packs like dogs because in their dark, evil souls they know they can't prevail as individuals.

October 07 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lilgtogirl

So the best revenge is being a cheerleader? Wow I thought this article was going to say she had them criminally charged or kicked their asses. What a let down.

October 07 2011 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake Blanton

If these punk kids had done that to my daughter, they would be visiting a morgue, not a hospital.

October 06 2011 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply