Unemployed Need Not Apply: Employment Discrimination For The Unemployed

unemployed can't get jobsUnbelievably, the United States, known for its many workplace anti-discrimination laws, does not currently have a law banning discrimination against being unemployed. According to a report recently released by the National Employment Law Project (NELP), a Washington, D.C. advocacy group, they found nearly 150 ads from Careerbuilder, Monster, Indeed and Craigslist that openly discriminated against potential candidates, asking them not to apply unless they were currently employed.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

What If A Job Posting Said Fat People Need Not Apply?!

The director of strategy and policy, Alan Charney, at USAction, a grassroots progressive coalition fighting against this practice, said, "Just as a company would not dare say 'African Americans need not apply' or 'Jews need not apply,' it is outrageous that any company in this day and age would explicitly ban unemployed workers from employment."

Proposed Amendment To Anti-Discrimination Law

While no law will prevent this sort of discrimination from occurring covertly, there has recently been legislation, the Fair Employment Act of 2011, introduced in Congress by Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut and Henry Johnson of Georgia, that would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and prohibit employers and staffing agencies from refusing to consider unemployed applicants.

On the other side of the coin, Monster, which came under fierce criticism from USAction for running these sorts of ads, is challenged with earning revenues in a sluggish economy. If their third-party advertisers want to discourage unemployed workers from applying for employment, why shouldn't they be able to? Monster has asked USAction to stop singling them out. The question is, why are companies doing this?

So Many Applicants, So Little Time

A recruiter suggested that the reason companies may not want a lot of unemployed applicants is that it can really clog the system, making it hard to find the 'cream of the crop'. Even with today's applicant tracking systems, sifting through candidates can be exceedingly time consuming and costly.

Companies figure that people who are unemployed for any length of time are not as desirable; but there are many reasons why people leave their jobs. Very qualified executive level candidates may decide to take a sabbatical for travel, family, education, or other personal reasons. "The unemployed are NOT the unemployable."

Next: Unemployment Can Be Hazardous to Your Health

Stories from Glassdoor.com

Glassdoor

Editor

Glassdoor is your free inside look at jobs and companies. Salary details, company reviews, and interview questions — all posted anonymously by employees and job seekers.

Scott

Here in California if you don't speak Spanish you might as well not even bother. I've been interviewed for many jobs in the past few weeks and they all asked if I spoke Spanish fluently. I know some but not a lot. It's a ******* disgrace. If you're a Mexican around here, you're a shoo in.. It's **** like this that turns a non prejudice person completely opposite.

March 15 2012 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mmailey1974

i think the unemployed should start boycotting then maybe things will get .done

December 17 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mmailey1974

read this blog post mmailey1974.blogspot.com/2011/11/unemployed-judgements

December 17 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

@ S.N. Hmmm...really? Yeah, you should do YOURSELF a favor and not make useless comments for others to read, and especially if you have nothing to contribute to this discussion.

To those who have found yourselves unemployed please be proactive, use your voice and increase the awareness of discrimination against the unemployed. I am not asking anyone to change the world, but to make others aware of what some companies are doing just to make their jobs easier; regardless of one's work experience, education, etc.

After almost one year out of work, having spent hundreds of countless hours applying for jobs I had came across an organization, Usaction, which is dedicated to spreading the world about discrimination against the unemployed and advocating for such individuals.

Furthermore, if you would like some tips on ways to help you stand out from the rest of the job candidates, feel free to check out my blog: http://nrwegngrl.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Get-a-Job-During-a-Recession.

Thanks for reading my post, and good luck everyone on your future endeavors!

September 22 2011 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S.N.

This is so stupid. why not just let them say what they want. They wont hire the unemployed anyway. So it doesnt matter. Even if they dont say it, whats to stop them from quietly doing the same thing. How does anyone know why they werent hired. If your resume has a present job history gap, they would still turn you away and maybe give some other reason or no reason at all. There really isnt a way to police this, at least with color or fattness you can count the numbers and give percentages to prove how many that are minorities etc. This at least give a courtesy so you dont waste your time sending in a resume for a job you wont get. And why not say fat people need not apply. What if the tasks cant be properly completed by a fat person or a short person or a weak person. I never really understood why a company cant put out an add for the exact type of people they are looking for. I mean if your job is to stand at abercrombie and show off your abs, how can a fat person do this? Its like the ray charles movie, would you cast a white actor to portray a black man? No, so why cant they say whites need not apply since they obviously wont get the part. I understand that it may not sound nice and I dont really like it but it is what it is and if you dont fall into their "category" you wont get the job anyway, why not let them be honest so you dont waste your time.

September 07 2011 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emora01

Shame on our country. The American people are sick of all this BS. Not surprised our great Americans, do not trust our gov't decision making skills. They spend their time debating who is right and who is wrong. Like children in a playgound. Very irresponsible, not mature. Who did we put in office?
It is time for a major change. HELP OUR OWN COUNTRY FIRST! CREATE JOBS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! STOP THIS MADNESS!! JOBS ARE THE KEY TO MOVE OUR ECONOMIC SITUATION FORWARD AND UPWARD!!!

September 07 2011 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Herb

It is such a screwy situation,alot of these so called hiring companies are going to do what the hell they want to do, most of these companies are taking advantage of this badly managed country and big crooked company deals that have brought this apon us, They also get paid in some cases to hire you. What happened to hiring people with skills no matter of age or size of the ****. These laws are bullshit, they look good on paper but very rarely inforced. There are alot of great true Americans who have been working there whole life and have lost there jobs , they have paid into the system and are getting screwed day after day by this screwed up government of ours. We have been waiting for a change for 11 years and things are only getting worse,our country turns there back on us to help out other countries always, we are tired of this crap all of it.

September 06 2011 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Gentsch

I was unemployed for over two years before I finally found a job in February. I can tell you from experience that this happens and that it is much more prevalent than this article would lead you to believe. In addition to the companies that let you know in their ad that the unemployed need not apply, you have to put up with the ones who will accept your resume and then throw it on the do not consider stack as well as the companies who use electronic screening of resumes and applications to weed out the unemployed. However, there is a bright side to this tactic (although it doesn't seem that way when you are desperately seeking work). Most of us don't want to work at places thoughtless and stupid enough to believe that unemployed means unemployable. If you are still out there looking, Good Luck.

September 06 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kailrock

So far I've sent out over 20 resumes and haven't noticed this discrimination. It is disheartening if this is really happening as so many people in this country are unemployed. In my case, myself and many of my colleagues' jobs were outsourced to India. We lost our jobs not to poor work ethic but to another country. I think if our country would stop giving the green light to companies to outsource jobs, more Americans would still be working. I wish the American workforce luck in their job searches. So far I am finding it very difficult to even get a reply to a resume and cover letter.

September 06 2011 at 7:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Buddha

To bkwormsjv

I think you have missed my point as well as the boat. As a natural born citizen I was required by my High School ( and my state) to take four years of English in order to earn an diploma, which was required by every business / company in order for me to be eligible for employment. I was required to present my diploma along with any job application to qualify for a job. I was never offered a choice as to languages. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate diversity. I have many friends and family members who are / were from other cultures. All of whom had to learn English in order to survive here. (No effort was ever made to accommodate them.) This has been the accepted practice ever since I can remember. I, as a child had never seen signs; speed limits, road signs, supermarket banners, etc. printed in any language other than English. It seems very unfair ( considering that I and others HAD to learn English in order to have any financial success members of this society unless you were fortunate enough to have your own business) and unnatural that at this time in our history we feel a need to make accommodations for a multi language based society, and to be truthful, I don't believe we will ever survive as a nation if we live apart (Total separation in cultures and languages) from one another. From what I remember of history, it didn't work for the Romans, and it won't work here either.

September 06 2011 at 6:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.