Why Waiters Give The Most Generous Tips

waiters waitresses tip bestTipping has become almost a science these days. According to one study, informing customers of the exact dollar value of 15 percent and 20 percent of their bill actually encourages their generosity. According to another, people tip more if their waitresses stand closer, while another study found that squatting worked a charm. In one study last year, 50 percent more men tipped when their female server was wearing make-up, and if the waitress drew a smiley face on the back of the check, she hit the jackpot.

But the most surefire way to get a gracious gratuity is to serve someone who's been a server.

Even though most waiters and waitresses say that they receive the standard 15 to 20 percent, they give, on average, substantially more.

Bekkah Jerde, a waitress at Q Consumables in Omaha, Neb., says that she'll give a 30 to 35 percent tip when she goes out to eat.

"I understand what it's like," she said. "I'm not going to overtip the server if they didn't do a good job. But if you blow me away, I'm going to take care of you."

Noah Bush, a favorite mixologist at Doc's Wine & Food in Tulsa, Okla., says that he'll give 25 to 30 percent on average, and sometimes 100 percent -- if the server's a friend.

He also says that he's probably a little kinder to servers, given his own experience. "If they make a mistake, I definitely understand," he said.

Even though Robin Jewell, a waitress at the 306 Restaurant in Rochester, N.H., sometimes gets tips as low as 5 percent ("for some reason Fridays tend not to bring out the best in people," she said), she'll always hand over 25 to 30 percent.

"I know what it's like on the flip side," Jewell remarked. "I've been doing this for 30 plus years."

Apparently food servers don't just tip their fellow food servers higher, but anyone else who works in the service industry.

The owner of Capricio Salon & Spa in Milwaukee, Wis., claimed that waitresses tip more than middle-age moms with two kids.

"They appreciate it more. She lives off tips, so she really knows the value of that."

Waitstaff usually do live off their tips. According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, employers can consider tips a part of wages, so can shirk the $7.25 federal minimum wage. Restaurant managers are only required to pay their waitstaff a meager $2.13 an hour, although this varies somewhat by state.

It makes sense that people who understand the precious value of a good tip and the challenges of the service trade would pay forward the joys of a generous gratuity.

Things are different, however, if a tip pool is involved, a system in which servers all combine their tips, and then divide them equally, severing the traditional tie between individual good service and high reward, while reinforcing the team mentality of the entire waitstaff.

Eric, who waits tables at Wise Acre Eatery in Minneapolis and pools his tips, says that even he might tip less if he knew that his own server would be sharing his gratuity with the whole waitstaff.

Although many servers overtip their own servers, because they understand the stress and strain of the job, some don't think that anything higher than America's already steep 15 to 20 percent custom is necessary.

Sean Ross, a waiter at Drago's Seafood Restaurant in New Orleans, La., said that he gives an average of 18 to 20 percent, the same as he receives.

"I've always thought it was just common courtesy," he said.

Next: Trade Secrets From a Waitress

Don't Miss: Top 10 Companies Hiring Now

Stories from Daily Finance

Terror Alarm

YES , WE CAN..WE WILL WIN IN WAR ON TERROR (30 whities or what are terrorists will never come back alive from Afghanistan...thank you lord..aamen).

ARIZONA = UTOYA = GOVERNMENT‘S "AFTERLIFE" FLASH MOB !! 911(TWIN TOWERS) = NORWAY BOMBING OR  STATE SPONSORED TERRORISM !!

STOLTENBERG = BREIVIK !! MULTYCULTURALISM = TERRORISM !!

OBAMA = OSAMA !!

As far as shooting, there was none(neither in NORWAY or Arizona). Instead tear gas and theater were used on faces of multiculturalism maniacs while calling YOU a terrorists !!  VISIT NEW(reloaded) “OBAMA = STALIN = BUSH or USA = SOVIET UNION” http://stateofterror.blogspot.com/   http://stateofterror.wordpress.com/

Whitie is fighting war on terrorism just to come home and be pronounced as terrorist...turned in Timothy, jobless, homeless ..YESSS,  WE CAN(FISH CAN & TENT CITY USA CAN)...GABBY OPENED HER EYES (psycho Tucson speech)

OS(B)AMA IS MOVING OUT OF AFGHAN THREE DAYS AFTER MY POSTING THIS ONLINE AND IS WILLING TO IMPROVE ECONOMY(genocide against whites) FEW MONTHS AHEAD OF ELECTIONS !!

Don't worry O(s)bama, you have just saved lots of Dollars in your DEBT DEALS(DEAD & ILL) as those America best (Navy Seals) would  also grew older !!

WAKE-UP !!! WAKE UP PEOPLE BEFORE IT GETS ALL TO LATE ON PLANET APE !!! TEARS WON'T DO YOU ANY GOOD !!! AS BUSH STATED "THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR"(to die ) !!

August 27 2011 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bng1959

I think The USA would be a much better place to live if everyone had to wait tables for at least 6 mo. Most people who under tip Do so out of ignorance. The most important thing for most folks is to learn to be classy. The true sign of that is being respectful of all people. I have never understood being mean to people who have access to you food or drink. Think about that the next time you want to be rude to a server. The things I have seen other people do would turn your stomach. So I can only imagine what takes place at more casual dinning restaurants. Cheers have fun and please tip well. It means alot to the server and very little to the dinners. If you can't tip ....don't eat out. Take care

August 26 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANTON

Waiter/waitress or bartenders always tend to tip more because they know how it is to make a living on tips. They are also very critical on the service, my wife and I both have been waiters/waitress and bartenders and we generally always over tip if you go by the standard 15-20% scale and we get good service. I tip the pizza guy too, and I tip at buffetts even though you get your own food they have a person picking up the used plates, usually about $2 for a buffett. What I hate are the people that you make a drink for and they have their money out to pay $8 for a drink and you tell them it is an open bar, drinks are free and they put their money back in their wallet and walk away. It's free, you were about to pay $8, leave a $1 for the free drink. Some of these waitresses only make $2.01 an hour, they survive on tips. And yes tips stand for T-o I-nsure P-rompt S-ervice so if you get slow service or no service I would not tip much. But if you get great service and you do not tip I would not eat there again, I know it is sad and I would never do it but I have heard of others who have, the horror stories of not tipping and what they do to you....Just remember, someone is paying their bills on $2-$4 an hour so tips are their livelyhood. Some make over $30,000 a year in tips but they deserve every cent.

August 26 2011 at 10:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wllharrington

I tip in cash. The IRS can guess what the total comp is when tax is filed.

August 26 2011 at 8:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wytwitch54

I myself wait tables and i definatrly overtip when i go out..... They have to eat and pay bills too! I know what i make in salary and i know they are making the same..

August 26 2011 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wytwitch54's comment
Terror Alarm

STOLTENBERG = BREIVIK !! MULTYCULTURALISM = TERRORISM !!

OBAMA = OSAMA !!

August 27 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alv

Yes! I been a waitress & i know what it is to be in there shoes. It's a lot of work & stress. Even more when as customer is very demanding and seems not to like you. A lot of times a customer after you bring there food they tell you they did not order that or they give you many excuses. When they actually did order it. & who ends up being in trouble? always the waitress.

A lot of times customers don't want to pay & they complain of you or even lie that they never got a receipt. When is impossible! cooks will not cook you anything if you don't enter it in the register.

Sometimes they treat you like if you were there babysitter & even ask you to warm up there baby's formula and many other things and at the end they don't even tip you. There was a time I had this table with a family with many kids. They were all tired, hungry, & crying. They had been all day at an amusement park. They were eating chips&salsa & one of the infants about 1year old was chocking. They were terrified! i was delivering there food. & the dad was so panic gave me his fajita plate & was mad at me like if it was my fault! They all got up & complain &left without paying.

I was doing my job best possible! it's not my fault that this family decided to have all this kids one after another. Customers need to be more considerate when going out to eat. We are servers not babysitters or paramedics. They should tip for the service they receive we are working to make a living we also have family & bills to pay. Happy i am not a server any more.

ALV