Six New 'It' Jobs in High Demand

The financial industry, once considered super-chic by college grads and working professionals alike, is rapidly losing status points. More people than ever in the financial industry are trading bonus checks for unemployment checks as financial behemoths like Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley are laying off people right and left, and banks like Wells Fargo and Bank of America have shed thousands of employees and are rumored to be letting more go. More than 15,000 jobs in that sector were lost in May alone.

Meanwhile, there's one financial job that is more in demand than ever. Accountants have suddenly become the "it" jobs of the year, and their status for being securely and gainfully employed is ever increasing. There's nothing "humble" about the accountant these days.

As a matter of fact, accountants right now are in a good position to ask for a raise and/or a promotion, or their employers will risk losing them to another company that offers more. Accounting Principals, a leading accounting and finance staffing provider, just identified six finance and accounting jobs that are actually in great demand right now.

1. Accountant

The research found that at the top of the "most in demand" list is the accountant -- especially those with experience in the oil, gas, manufacturing, health care and hospitality fields. This is mainly driven by the current regulatory environment, which requires every company -- especially publicly traded companies -- to have an efficient and properly staffed accounting department in place.

2. Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerks

Next on the financial hot list are accounts payable/receivable clerks to work with vendor contracts, expense records and invoices, which are actually increasing.

The next four jobs, all of which have multiple job openings in just about every city, are:

3. Financial analysts

4. Controllers

5. Medical billing supervisors

6. Auditors

"Many organizations lost people to attrition in the post-recessionary environment and those companies today are again looking to staff up for positions that are vital to their business operations," says Mike McNamara, regional director of Accounting Principals. "Much of the hiring we're seeing is on a temp-to-perm basis, meaning employers bring candidates on for a short term project and then on-board them as full-time employees."

That's good news, according to McNamara. "We view this as a very positive sign for the industry and economy overall," he concludes, "because it means companies are looking to staff-up in anticipation of future growth."

Next: Uncle Sam Wants Psychologists and Social Workers

Don't Miss: Top 10 Companies Hiring Now

Stories from FINS Finance

coveyscave

Not a single one of these jobs produces anything. That is a large part of what is wrong with the American economy. We keep track of who has how much money and no longer produce goods or skilled services that have real value. Most of our wealth lies in financial markets and not in products of tangible value.

July 30 2011 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
george

blame the illegals

July 30 2011 at 7:40 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Master

You know what? I worked at a job for $2.40 an hour, Hooker headers (Makers of modified exhaust systems) in the 1970s and I TRAINED A MAN 7 years younger than me, NO EXPERIENCE (I was there 2 years, and he made $3.75 per hour. MY SUPERVISER SAID, well he is a man and needs the money more than you. AS IF women's rent is cheaper. WE HAD NO UNIONS, REAGAN and POLITICIANS gave tax breaks to corporations to show production numbers SO THE COMPANIES went offshore.

I worked in a sandwich factory (the kind you buy already made in the deli case), I worked for explosives engineering (signal flares and smoke), injection mold plastic factories (many), assembly lines, and others NO INSURANCE, NO pay scales (arbitrary - Jerry's brother made $6.00 per hour on the line and the rest of us made $2.10 per hour. NO MEDICAL THEN MEANS I am broken down physically now.

THERE IS NO MORE MIDDLE CLASS, THINK I mean ACTUALLY think WHY is that so? Unions did not suck the life out of the US...Ford, closed Detroit plant because workers wanted 18 pert hour, moved plant to Texas where the took 13 per hour THEN WITH NAFTA went to Mexico and pad $2.50 per hour -- NO AMERICAN will work for $2.50 so YOUR POLITICAL LEADERS DID THIS TO YOU. NOT unions ---- all documented in congressional records, import/export data, and corporate data filed with government for taxes. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you complain. It’s ALL ON RECORD.

I love people that are "ignorant" of the facts spewing their BS because they THINK THEY KNOW. GO WORK in factories like I did and then tell me making 2 per hour while the boss's brother made 6, UNIONS wouldn’t allow that. (I didn’t go to college until I was 36 and had to start with a GED, so GO BACK AND LEARN the facts and how to spell). Took 5 years for an AA, and 10 years to get a bachelors, how many of you would take that long to attain a dream? Many of you criers are ALL TALK and no GUTS. I can still drive a forklift and run swaging machines AND know how to use hand tools like a pro. I can rewire a home (done it to code with the right gauge romex because i worked NON union construction), I can repipe a house, how many men out there know what a p-trap is? Love, a 59 year-old woman who worked minumum wage most of her life BUT LOVED it because of what I learned how to do.

July 30 2011 at 6:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Get A reel job all you pencil pushing, sit on your a hole idiots.

July 30 2011 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lking4trbl

Hey Kevin - maybe you should go back to HS and learn to spell living, making, diploma, manufacturing and burgers. 35 yrs ago manufacturing was a good way to make a living...thanks to the way the unions have raped the industry we have to pay people $25 an hour for a $10 an hour job.

July 30 2011 at 1:09 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Kevin McCauley

Oh, and a P. S.
I've never been with out a job for more then a few days in my life. I'm makeing around 70k a year, I have a HS deploma.

July 29 2011 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kevin McCauley's comment
essexitalguy66

now "deploma" ....????!!!! your pathetic kev......

July 30 2011 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin McCauley

Well, I've been in Manufactureing for the 35 years. We're begging for folks to work.
It can be a good way to make a decent liveing.
Not everyone is cutout to be an accountant or a lawyer.
What are we supposed to do, flip bergers?

July 29 2011 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Hmm... All of these jobs can be done by a single computer, would not hold out hope for a long term in them, the way i see it. But then again one never knows. do what makes you happy, not what is it or makes the most money. Do that and you will have a good life, go into a field for cash and you will die an early unhappy death.

July 29 2011 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ajt1025

Wow six new jobs, with the unemployment rate at 9.7% we got six new jobs!!! Yeah, I bet Oboman and the rest of the crew in Washington are happy to hear that!! I guess they will have a party for themsleves and make a law to cover it!!!! Are they hireing English Speaking people or some of the Arabs and Indians they are bringing in by the millions!!!!

July 29 2011 at 7:49 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply