Breakfast of the Busy: Most Americans Start Their Work Day With...

breakfastDry, buttered or with a side of eggs, 70 percent of Americans fuel their work day with toast, according to a recent survey. And while toast is pretty much a carb rush, at least Americans prefer whole grain bread over white, nut, cinnamon and seeded varieties.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

That's according to new research sponsored by I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! spread. The company has come up with a few recipes to make it a healthier and more nourishing way to start the day. After all, if you only eat toast for breakfast, when it comes time for your mid-morning coffee break, you're going to need something more substantial, and then again for lunch. It can lead to a lot of on-the-job nibbling, not to mention lethargy.

Award-winning culinary chef Kristina Vanni suggests making spreads for your toast to amp up the nutritional value, and has come up with several recipes. She says ingredients like oranges, walnuts, honey and a dash of sea salt, or cucumber, red radishes, parsley, chives, salt and pepper. Exotic, yes, but also extremely healthy. Then there's always the good old breakfast sandwich, with eggs and tomato placed between two pieces of toast.

If only we could switch our toast addiction to a grapefruit addiction. Not only does that improve our energy at work, but a recent study found that it promotes increased levels of concentration. Could eating grapefruit for breakfast actually help get you a raise or promotion?

"Eating one grapefruit every day for as little as two weeks can noticeably improve appearance and overall vitality," according to the trial carried out in the U.K. The report from the study, published in the British trade magazine, The Grocer, earlier this month, found that people noticed improvements in their appearance and overall well-being -- including skin, hair and weight, concentration and energy levels, after incorporating one grapefruit into their food intake each day for two weeks.

After doing this, 70.8 of women felt more comfortable with their bodies and noticed a change in their appearance, 58.5 percent lost weight, 81.6 percent did not get hungry as quickly after eating grapefruit, and 70 to 80 percent noticed that their skin and hair improved.

With those kinds of results, who needs toast for breakfast before you go to work. But then again, why not have both toast and grapefruit? That's the diet breakfast that your mothers, and probably your grandmothers, ate on their way out the door. Some classics never go out of style.

Don't Miss: Top 10 Companies Hiring Now

Stories from AARP

Filed under: Employment News
Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

Master

i already have to see my boss everyday. one sour and bitter leather-skinned fruit a day is enough.

July 25 2011 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wr3rd

I think we should pronounce John Boehners name as it is spelled out. It should be prounounced Boner
instead of Bayner because it seems he has a hard on for every body and every thing in his world.

July 25 2011 at 2:02 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Grandma

'usually just; juice,cereal ^ coffee [ A MUST ]

July 25 2011 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I have a bowl of cereal, a banana, and a glass of grape juice in the morning. Unless I'm sick and pucking my guts out I NEVER skip breakfast! Although, when I'm at my Grandma's we have muffins or coffee cake or oatmeal and bananas for breakfast.

July 25 2011 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CZ

How to start the day?

The best is a large glass of mixed vegetable juice, V8 for example and a small roll with NO-SUGAR fruit spread, Of course a cuppa coffee is a must!

July 25 2011 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mutzmeg

You have to be careful; grapefruit can hinder the metabolization of some prescribed medications always consult a physician or your pharmacist before eating grapefruit at all... P. Ward RN

July 24 2011 at 11:55 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
searune

Eye wisch u peeple wud larn howe tu spill butter....LOL

July 24 2011 at 10:42 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Joanne

I hate grapefruit and hated having to eat it when I was younger even thou my parents only made us eat it a couple of times a week. Grapefruit is extremely acidic and can cause people who have problems with GERD to find themselves in a very uncomfortable state of being. Plus too much acidity can cause mouth and lip sores. Having protein (an egg or meat) with your bread in the morning is much more fortifying then just bread alone. If anything, spread a bit of peanut butter on that piece of toast and you will be better off, unless you are alergic to peanuts. But my point is get some kind of protein in the morning along with that slice of bread. The combination of the two will get you much further then a soda or hot chocolate for breakfast. This article was only written to promote eating grapefruit and wasn't written to promote healthy eating habits, especially in the morning.

July 24 2011 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weigold97

People I work with prefer Pepsi in the am

July 24 2011 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to weigold97's comment
Ellen

I'm a diet coke fan myself.

July 25 2011 at 5:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

What do I have for breakfast every day...? Nothing! I'm sorry but getting up at dark a.m. every day makes me 1 thing--TIRED! I'm not hungry--just tired! Heh heh... everyone have another pice of toast for me! ;o)

July 24 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Randy's comment
hattie54

Microwave some oatmeal.They have the flavored packets you can add milk and butter to.I love granola in my yogurt too.

July 24 2011 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.