Age discrimination is real, and there are many ways companies get away with it even in 2011. Unfortunately there are too few hiring managers who will hire a worker in their 40s let alonein their 50s or 60s. There are certain industries and organizations that are better than others. Associations and non-profits are one potential. Health care and health information management is another potential for more experienced workers.

August 05 2011 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I am 61 and faced the same challenges. I was out of work for several years. I started a business that failed and I eventually found a job teaching at an inner city middle school. The pay is about half what I was making in the corporate world, but it is more rewarding, and I have the summers off. If I hadn't found this job, I don't know what I would do for employment. I have a friend who made six figures for many years and lost his job and is now working for a third the money at a call center. The job sucks but there aren't many options for older workers. It is scary!

July 18 2011 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

What a run around. Some people will believe anything. What about the young people who can't find a job ? Most companies will hire people who are not likely to retire soon because of the fact that in many cases they're smarter than the young set. You might look toward Washington to figure out why the rate of unemployment is so high.

July 18 2011 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig Alan Tomanek

Recently I was talking with the store manager of a large grocery store in my neighborhood and made the comment that most of the employees were older and I asked what was up with this. The store manager said that the kids today have no respect, values, and don't want to be told what to do. She said that the older people have a sense of pride in what they do. They show up on time. They are respectful of management and their peers and all around a better employee to hire in the long run. So remember how much you have to offer and don't take NO for an answer.

July 18 2011 at 7:52 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

I was laid off 2 years ago. Not only am I 55 but also can NOT speak Spanish! I took a job making $16,000 compared to my previous salary of $70,000.

July 18 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

The truth is that younger people cost less in the long run. They will work for a lot less, they don't get sick as often so they don't use sick time up, they don't already have medical issues so employer costs are less for healthcare, and they are stupid over what an employer can and cannot do to their workers. Sure they don't have the training and experience older people do, but then the business can teach them exactly how they want things done. Plus they don't have any bad habits like wanting breaks and working only eight hours a day.

If certain politicians and businesses had their way anyone over 60 that was not rich would just die. That is why they are trying to get rid of social security and medicare.

Leave no billionaire behind.

July 18 2011 at 7:31 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply

When profits on items made in this country are taxed and the same profits on items made overseas by the same American company are not, where do you think the company will have the items made? Wanting to tax corporations is the same as wanting to pay more taxes yourself, because that is what will happen when the corporate tax is passed on as part of the cost of goods sold.

July 18 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

As a person who is in the "older' category, I know I am being passed over for the younger workers out there. Although I can pass for someone in their 30's (without any plastic surgery, just good genes and a healthy lifestye) the employers want the younger people. I have been out of work for over 2 years and maybe, maybe get an interview once a year. A few months ago I had an interview with a major bank. Although I have over 15 years experience in the banking industry, 2 college degrees, guess what? The kid who sat next to me, all of 17 years old, just out of high school, no plans for college, no work experience, got the job. The companies do not want someone past 35-40 working for them. It is easier and cheaper to maintain a young person knowing(a) that person will not with the company for more than 2-3 years and thus they won't have to pay a retirement and (b) most young people will not go out on a medical leave and most young people do not have health concerns. Oh, and I almost forgot, unless you are a minority(which I am not), that counts against you too. So, get used to it. It is a young person's world out there. I just gave up looking for a job.

July 18 2011 at 7:20 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply

I got layed off last year at age 61. I didn't have any greater problem finding a job equal to my previous one than did any of the younger guys who were layed off with me.

July 18 2011 at 7:13 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

This article couldn't be more true, except for that last sentence. Those companies are NOT hiring. Where have you been???

Those of us who have the experience are passed over for a "recent college grad" hire speak for "young." Employers must be okay with the learning curve with young workers. I hear many people my age are even offering to waive health insurance just to be hired. What is happening now is we have to take LOW paying jobs well beneath our level of expertise, IF you can't get one. What this does is to create a weakening of ones resume. When looking for a better/paying job your resume looks like "something happened." Since most cover letters, where you would explain why you took that "stop-gap" position, are never read, ones resume will most likely be tossed.

I myself, along with many, many others my age have applied for jobs at our level and beneath our level until we can no longer face not getting calls. Many of us will never be hired again and will reach Social Security age first. Hey, Congress take a look at THAT. We WANT to work, put off collecting Social Security but for many this will not be an option.

July 18 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply