How to Make Working at Home a Whole Lot Better

job interview If you're going to be spending many hours working at home, you might as well treat yourself to a home office space that will make you feel comfortable, motivated, efficient and creative. Philadelphia interior designer Donna Hoffman suggests that rather than think of it as a "home office," you think of it as a "home office haven."

You have to admit, spending time in your home haven sounds a lot more enjoyable than sweating it out in your home office. Perhaps it's a mind game you can play with yourself -- and with the IRS. Most home office expenses are tax deductible, if you're making any money at all there.

"Today's high performance virtual executive craves better life balance, which now includes home work environments that are not only high function, but also high octane for enhanced productivity, and high pleasure for enhanced focus, creativity and satisfaction," according to Hoffman.

"In other words, a computer, a swivel chair and writing desk just don't cut it," she adds. She gives the following interior design tips for creating high-output, high-satisfaction home offices that will make work a pleasure.

1. Beauty counts.

"Aesthetic pleasure" is a key driving force that compels our desire to spend time in any environment. Ignore this truism and you will have a nails-on-the-chalkboard-bad experience every time you go to work. Hoffman takes great care to load the office design with the precise colors, textures and ambiance that the owner craves.

"Enhance the aesthetic, and watch productivity and focus rise as well," she explains. One female client wanted a feminine, almost romantic quiet space in which to inspire writing creative copy. Meanwhile, a couple of college professors wanted their his/hers study to be all about creating high function in a lush, luxurious library feel, where their book collection became art.

2. Function comes first.

Yes, in today's savvy home office design the aesthetic needs count big, but as with all design, function must come first. Determine exactly the tasks that need to be supported and how the furnishings can accommodate that. Note precise activity zones, storage access for both long- and short-term storage. Identify clear organizational needs right down to whether the owner is a righty or lefty.

Remember to add pleasurable function too. Need a mini-coffee station in the office? A second workstation for the kids to sit at when they bounce in after school and want to do some homework nearby?

"One client asked for a chaise in her office rather than the predictable club chair for when she wanted to take a break and stare out the window. Function should be viewed as operational and pleasurable," says Hoffman.

3. If possible, have a door to close.

Boundaries in a home office are important, as is the ability to walk away from the job. Otherwise, the temptation is to sneak in to check one more thing, and before you know it, you're really working 12-hour days. In darker spaces, Hoffman suggests adding French doors with ruched fabric to create the sense of boundary and window at the same time. For apartment dwellers who are working with alcoves, consider a beautiful screen placed at the threshold when it's quitting time.

Hoffman says that some her clients who follow these guidelines admit to "sneaking into the office after hours just to relax," because the space feels that good. Do it right, and your "home office can double as an inner sanctum," she concludes.

Next: People at the Top Share the Best Career Advice They Ever Got

Stories from AARP

Filed under: Work From Home
Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

CaNdy

Hi, Im a stay at home mom and was looking for ways to make some extra money. A friend told me about this website and i checked it out. Now I make decent extra cash by just posting ads and promoting sites. Go to http://TheJobCow.com/?id=andre_sprs

November 19 2013 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Smith

Good Advice. I was struggling to earn an income online until I learned about this 100% Free Legit Work At Home Opportunity that is accredited by the BBB with a Top A+ Certification Rating. Go To: http://workfromhome4321.com

June 25 2013 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kwame Essandoh

The Money Making Machine 101 - Actual Proof Included.

The Money Making Machine 101, Is A 100% Proven & Tested Money Making Software, That Offers Everyone A Money Making Opportunity To Make Money Online. Learn How To Turn Your Personal Computer Into A Income Generating Machine From Home.

To learn more click here or copy and paste URL into your browser: e86df75no7x9myaaz2zpeues7y.hop.clickbank.net/.

June 14 2013 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kassandra Faye Hudso

I have been doing the Work from Home for about 5 years now. It helps a lot earning from home, taking care of my daughter and husband, and doing my social media networking, www.chatching site for my networking and communications. So grateful to have been earning just at home.

January 04 2013 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chelsea Szczerba

I've been working as a referral agent for Motor Club of America which is similar to AAA. They pay you $80/ referral once your a member and refer others. They pay weekly by check or direct deposit. People are making very good money with MCA because the benefits aren't that hard to sell. Sign up for your plan at http://zti.me/h73 and you'll be provided with your referral link immediately. They only accept debit, credit or bank draft as payment, no prepaid debit cards. Contact me at momymoneymaker@gmail.com or 3027151188

October 01 2012 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Working from home can be hard and confusing when you have never done it before. I struggled for about a year before I found something that fit me and that can generate a real income for me and my family. If your having problems finding the right job reach me at CMFARCHER@GMAIL.COM

June 27 2012 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
author J.J. Gop

My problem is trying to get a publishing company to publish my "Drake Bentley" "Mystery Files" books.giving them 50% till cost is caught then taking 45%. Now to finding work at home on computer, so far they all want hard down cahs, which folks like me on fixed s.s. do not have.

April 17 2012 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lsulinebacker64

I been working at home for a long time... More than 2 decades. Today with part of the work that I'm doing I'm working on an Invention idea at this time. At this time more than $8,000 has been put into it and 50% has been done with my first prototype.

June 26 2011 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mountain West Media

Working at home is great, now more than ever the opportunity to either run a business from home or telecommute as an employee is awesome, Heck, with a light notebook or tablet, you can "work" from almost anywhere with internet access and your cell phone.
I coach people to reevaluate their dream living location and just move, work from home and stop letting the "norm" dictate where, how, and with whom you earn a living. Technology is so empowering.
B

June 25 2011 at 10:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
K Alley

I love working at home. I have for over 12 years. The website BestTopJobs has a FREE list of work at home jobs offered by real employers. I save money on gas, lunches, clothing and day care by working as an employee at my home. Good luck!

June 25 2011 at 9:55 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.