Im a seamstress and someone said they cant telling me how to make the product I make for them. That doesn't sound right because all the product's I make have a patent. So all they ask of me is to fallow their design and time frame, that seems reasonable to me lol

June 04 2014 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I just recently resigned from a company in which I was 1099 and never signed a Independent Contractor Agreement. The company paid me on a commission basis. Am I responsible for handing over my book of business to the company?

April 17 2013 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

When you drive a commercial vehicle GVW 80,000# over-the-road, and the owner of the unit controls what commodity will be hauled, and what direction that unit will travel are you classified as a independent contractor? My understanding of an independent contractor is that you operate under a F.I. number, and you provide a service to several customers with your own equipment. How do I justify being a independent contractor with very few deductions at the end of a year?

July 14 2011 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Space Vegetable

You can also do contract work via third-party agencies. This can be a good option if you don't want to deal with tax headaches. Plus, these folks do the marketing to find clients and many offer some level of benefits. You usually have to pay the costs yourself, but you'll be getting group rates as opposed to the more expensive individual rates.

I've been working as a contractor since 1992 and love it. I have freedom and get paid for every hour I work (no unpaid overtime like captive employees have to do). I learn new things all the time, so I don't get bored, and the pay is much better than I'd get as an employee, even taking benefits into account.

People who complain about independent contractors and businesses "taking advantage" of them, probably shouldn't be working as independent contractors. If you're looking for benefits and security, get a permanent job. Don't ruin it for those of us who choose this wonderful lifestyle.

It's sad that there are so many restrictions on being able to work this way for those of us who choose to do so. Unions are partly responsible for this, since they don't like that we independent folks negotiate our own deals and don't need them in the middle of the process, taking a cut of our pay. Disgruntled contractors who really wanted to be employees also helped drive all these restrictions. IMHO, companies should be free to hire and pay as they choose and shouldn't be responsible for providing benefits. After all, you don't get your house and auto insurance from your employer. Why should your health insurance be any different?

June 25 2011 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Space Vegetable's comment

WOW! No health care or days off is a "wonderful lifestyle"? Hope you're still healthy or you're screwed. Hate to tell you but permanent jobs aren't always available. If people are working 40+ hours in someone's office they deserve HEALTH CARE.

August 13 2015 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ms Tweety

Good pep r doing IC work if you work part time and make mim wages gets u about 200 a week and they take a 100 out of your check.

June 22 2011 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Wow, so much invective! My husband and I are independent contractors and love it. First, we have set up an LLC so that we do not have to have a 1099 filed (some file anyway but that's fine). Second, ALWAYS make sure your employment taxes are paid. Never, never, never cheat the IRS as it will at some time come back to haunt you. It is your responsibility as a contractor to make sure you do things legally. Third, I have NEVER had the opportunity to own IP from a job. It simply isn't done in the sciences. Whoever foots the bill for the intellectual property owns it - pure and simple (regardless of what the post says). Now, they HAVE to put your name on a patent if you provided significant input, but you don't own it (and at $100K+ to try to get a simple patent you don't need the headache). In my experience, almost 100% of the problems of being an (professional) independent contractor occur because the contractor did not make sure there was clarity and did not follow the law (either knowingly or unknowingly). The beauty of being a contractor is that you don't have to sit through those endless meetings, etc., but you do have to have a good ability to be a self-starter and in control.

June 22 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carolyn's comment

You're right Carolyn. When independent contractors are truly independent, the big advantage is freedom to do it your way. The biggest problem is that employers want total control, yet don't want to pay the taxes and benefits that go with control.

June 23 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

June 22 2011 at 12:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mrssolsteria's comment

Illegal Aliens built your house and plant the food you and your family ate today!!
What a lack of education people!!!
Have you traveled outside of your country? We are all one world one country USA is not better than anyone.. we are all one humankind.

April 29 2015 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Hello. I'm a certified master auto technician,among other things, and have spent 40 years in the automotive service industry.Many times I've been hired as an independent contractor and yet treated as an employee or worse. Especially lately most employers in my field use this technique just to aviod paying taxes, cutting down on any benefits and avoiding any liabilities.Otherwise nothing changes, I have no rights at all in their shop, their hours, their orders and demands like any other employee.Bottom line is that if I have to supply the workmanship, the license, the experience, the tools and equipment, and in many cases the customers, what do I need you for? To take most of my profits and put up with your demands? I'm better off just getting my own space and openning up a shop on my own.The only down side to that is the initial costs involved which many of good but underpaid technicians can not absorb, so they end up making others rich at their expense.Many of the auto repair shop owners are aware of this situation and take advantage of it to the max under the protection of the law.Too bad, but unfortunatelly that's the world we live in today, in this ' cut throat ' society. I'm sure the same applies to other professions as well. Thank you.

June 22 2011 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to richardhhd's comment

Reporting them to the IRS or the Department of Labor might be the way to go on this Richard. They shouldn't get away with it if they're truly not complying with the law.

June 22 2011 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Independent Contractor benefits the EMPLOYERS and really screws the Employee: No Tax withholdings - not good! You loose future Socical Security Benefits, future Medicare, and you may not collect Unemployment benefits either. Also, instead of getting a Refund at the end of the year from the IRS and your State: YOU PAY TAXES on all the Gross Income that is stated on the 1099's... Who benefits from this set-up? ILLEGAL ALIENS and DEADBEAT DADS!!!

June 22 2011 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

once again the the bussines is the bad guy. How about don't do something asked of you and then complain later. No one can force you to act as an IC. Another reason for high unemployment. The more gov't interference the less a biz. will hire.....

June 22 2011 at 8:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply