I Love My Job: Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer [Video]

Cesar MillanCesar Millan loves his co-workers. Their needs are simple, they work long hours, love corporate outings and only talk back now and then. Of course Millan's colleagues are furry, but there's no dress code. It's no surprise that Cesar Millan, of television's "Dog Whisperer," loves his job.

In the Beginning

When he was 13 years old in Mazatlan, Mexico, he asked his mom if she thought he could be the best dog trainer in the world.

"She told me, 'You can do whatever you want,' " he says. He started watching "Lassie" and "RinTinTin" to pick up any tips he could.

In Mexico, there are no leash laws and Millan would walk a pack of dogs off leash. He did the same thing when he came to the U.S. and that turned out to be his calling card.

"I was called 'The Mexican Guy Who Can Walk a Pack of Dogs,'" he says. "I didn't know it was illegal. What set me apart was walking a pack of dogs in the middle of Los Angeles."

He grew to be more than just a dog walker, creating an entire philosophy for training dogs.

Looking Out for All Dogs

Millan is a brand, but he lends his name and face to causes he deems worthy. He is a spokesperson for Frontline, a flea and tick control product. He's also the face of the worldwide Pet Adoptathon which celebrated its 17th year this April.

Millan's show, "Dog Whisperer," airs in 117 countries and he takes the potential reach of his work very seriously.

"We can make an impact globally to make sure people have this emotional intelligence and empathy with dogs."

The Best and the Worst

Millan loves being outside with dogs and that's automatically built into his job. But some dogs are a challenge.

"Ninety-nine percent of the dogs have psychological problems," he says. "One percent have neurological problems. I believe the neurological problems come from bad breeding. Some people don't have good ethics and they don't know how to maintain healthy genes. And those are the dogs that I have not been able to help."

When it comes to two-legged companions, he says, "I do surround myself with people who believe in the mission of 'training people and rehabilitating dogs.' "

He's lucky to have met many of his role models, who include actors Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, motivator Tony Robbins and Oprah Winfrey.

"All these people want to transform the world in some shape or form," he says. "We have the same goal, we just do it in different ways."

Watch: Interview With Cesar Millan

Next: Companies Hiring

Stories from Ask Men

mark

cesar .man!...People back home call me The next "Dogwhisperer"...haha.. Honored but Not that Good!..I work @ an animal Hospital in the kennel....we can Hold over 100 dogs...i practic ALL your methods and Love telling owners how to correct things.....I want to take it to the next level....not working there anymore...and I want to try and start something in Fl...as u have in La....I would Love to get to work with you and Learn from your experience....If you can help...PLEASE let me know
i have been around packs of dogs my whole life....and I see 100%...what you are talking about. Like you I want to train PEOPLE to LEAD THEIR dogs....and I want to do it ONLY for the dogs and NO other reason...than having a JOB that I love...just LOST now!

August 25 2011 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Macy Marie

Hey Cesar my Name is Macy. I have two pitbulls and does not get along with each other at all always have to keep the separated and they ate both a red flag to me. Can you Please come to New Orleans Louisiana and help me? Keep up the good work.:)

August 16 2011 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gwen

keep up the good Job I like your Show

June 14 2011 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
schettly

Ceasar is the best dog handler I have ever known. I used watch Barbara Woodhouse back in the 1970's and she had a similiar method with which to handle and understand dogs. She was from England and her shows played for the most part on PBS. She also wrote many books her most popular being titled "No Bad Dogs". But Ceasar takes the prize in dog psycology and wins hands down in my books. Calm and Assertive as always Ceasar. Susie C.

June 07 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Julian Cadavid

Desde que veo el programa mi relación con mis 3 perros es genial, y me a ayudado mucho a entender el comportamiento de los perros. Gracias cesar.

June 07 2011 at 5:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
schettly

invmartyc, I cannot love this guy. My wife loved his show and what he did. She was dying from cancer and my son and I tried several times to get Cesar to just give her a phone call to say hello.

invmartyc, You and you family have my condolences as to the loss of your wife. However you cannot blame Ceaser Milan for not coming to see her of even calling her. People like Ceaser have contracts and committments on legal documents, to be in certain places at certain times. He has been in Europe these past weeks filming new show episodes, so it is possible he was not able to respond. Perhaps one day when you are over the anger of her death, you will be able to forgive him since your wife did admire him. Also, try to think og the quantity of e-mail like your's he might recieve in the course of a day. I wish you the best and I know if Ceasar could he would have gotten in touch with her.

June 07 2011 at 5:47 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
green gate farm

I agree. Boundries, Structure and Limitations. Our education system should follow the same principles.

June 07 2011 at 5:00 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
sifarwick

You're awesome with even the worst case dogs....that's why I want to print a bumper sticker "Ceaser Milan For President"...........you're our only hope. Remember, folks, you saw it here first.

June 07 2011 at 4:48 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
riverrose28

He's great, always remember you are the leader of the pack, and act accordingly. I have six dogs!

June 07 2011 at 4:25 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
karen

I LOVE YOU CEASER, YOU ARE A ROLE MODLE FOR THE NEXT GENERATION.ANIMALS ARE A SPECIAL GIFT FROM GOD, AND ALL NEED TO BE UNDERSTOOD;AND CARED FOR.

June 07 2011 at 4:18 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply