UPS vs. FedEx: Which Employer Pays Best?

FedEx vs. UPSDespite the fact that gas is nudging close to $4 per gallon, the delivery industry is still going strong. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, delivery and other truck drivers make up one of the largest occupational groups in the U.S., holding 3.2 million jobs. Overall, job opportunities continue to be favorable. How can you snag a delivery gig and which company stands out as the top employer?

Two major players in the delivery business are UPS and FedEx. UPS was ranked No. 43 on Fortune's 2010 list of 500 largest corporations. Its competitor, FedEx, landed 17 spots down at No. 60, falling from 59 the year before. UPS is working hard to stay ahead, investing in improvements to its largest air hub, in Louisville, Ky., despite financial losses during the recession. DHL pulled its U.S. operations last year, and both FedEx and UPS want a share of that market.

Both companies seem healthy. Which one pays their employees better and has a company culture that would suit you? Here's a look at median annual salary ranges for some of the most common jobs at UPS and FedEx, according online salary database, PayScale.com, as well as some facts about benefits and employee mix.

1. Account Executive

7. Pilot
FedEx Avg. Annual Salary: $194,000

UPS Avg. Annual Salary: $182,000

8. Truck Driver - Light or Delivery Services
FedEx Avg. Annual Salary: $38,465

UPS Avg. Annual Salary: $58,653

Job for job, FedEx offers somewhat higher wages. And, PayScale's data shows that the other thing this Memphis, Tenn.-based carrier provides is a better vacation package. Even if you've worked at FedEx for less than a year, you are still eligible for 2.5 weeks of time off. UPS employees do not get over two weeks of vacation until they are employed between 1-4 years.

UPS, though, is more generous with bonuses. Truck drivers can earn nearly $1,000 per year in bonus money, compared to just $750 at FedEx. In addition, senior program analysts stand to make $1,000 more per year wearing brown.

More women work at FedEx, which counts 26 percent of its workforce as female, as opposed to only 22 percent at UPS.

Headquartered in Louisville, UPS branch offices are found in such major cities as Atlanta, Chicago, Houston and New York. Most of FedEx staff work in Memphis and the carrier's branch offices are in Dallas and Houston, Collierville, Tenn., Los Angeles and Orlando, Fla.

On the whole, UPS employees count 55 percent of their co-workers as being "proactive problem solvers." FedEx splits its force pretty evenly between those problem solvers and "overachievers," with 35 and 33 percent, respectively. Which team would you rather be on?

Next: Target vs. Walmart -- Which One Is a Better Place to Work?

Source: Salary and career data is provided by online salary database PayScale.com. The salary ranges shown are for full-time employees with any level of experience and include any bonuses, commissions or profit-sharing.

Kelly Schmidt

I'm not sure where they got these numbers but FedEx does NOT pay what they say here.

June 10 2014 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

I am a UPS employee for 24 years. UPS starting salary for package handler is only $8.50 hr which I think its ridiculous and most of the jobs are part time, you'll get full time benefits and they will give you money for college; but depends in what building you work it could take years before you see a full time position; it took me 9 years to become full time ( package car driver) or delivery guy, and now this is where the money is, as a pkg car driver you' ll make between 60k to 90k a year. UPS is the most paying trucking company out there but you will need to hustle in long days and sometimes without a break (eat and go). Its worth it? Yes

February 21 2014 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rodndc

Obviously the people who did the research here have no idea of what they are talking.....I work for UPS and I work entirely too hard to only make 48,000 a year.... that figure is what we make by June

November 03 2013 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Javier

FedEx is good when you start off, 12.00 as a handler, but UPS is better in the long run. UPS tops out faster and higher for courier drivers. FedEx takes forever to get max pay and they give you crappy raises. I know this because I work for FedEx. FedEx is getting even more shady as the years pass.

May 31 2013 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boringmoron

Boy, I don't know what all these people complaining about working at FedEx are talking about. I was a part time dock worker and made more money doing that than I ever made a any full time jobs I had before. Now I'm a driver, and even as an extra board bid I going to make a minimum of 55k. If just one or 2 of our guys retire then I will be in the 65 to 75 range, and if 3 guys retire then I'll be over 80k. I've only been driving since February, and I already make more than most of my supervisors.

January 02 2013 at 1:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Robert Johnson

I'm an open markets type of guy, a right to work type but in this instance, I would applaud a Union moving in to push back at the strange management style of the lower managers. I have no idea how upper management is at FedEx but lower management is terrible.

October 30 2012 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Johnson

My college age son is working at FedEx and from what I see, FedEx is not a business I would give a thumbs up as an employer. I've spent 35 years as a stockbroker and you guys treat your help like dogs. I'm an open markets type of guy, a right to work type but in this instance, I would applaud a Union moving in and pushing back at the strange management style of the lower managers.

October 30 2012 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kc714

Not sure where your numbers come from. I'm a driver for UPS and I made $77,000 last year and will be very close to $80,000 this year. That's about average for my building. Of course I also average 47 hours a week. 8 hour days don't happen.

September 04 2012 at 6:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

Ground and Home Delivery drivers do NOT work for Fedex. Though Fedex can terminate them whenever they feel necessary. In fact, I am a little leery posting this for I could lose my job due to slander. I will not go too much into detail. Just know, UPS and Fedex drivers do the SAME job but are treated differently. No package is treated any differently. Does anyone stop to consider the MANY hands those packages go through before making it to your front door? To the masses, make sure your address is correct BEFORE shipping it. Make sure your house numbers are easy to read from the road. Keep your dogs CONTAINED. And for god's sake, cut down low hanging branches if you have a long driveway! I've been doing this for 6 years and these are my biggest complaints. I deal with the company's horrid policies and I am able to pay my bills. I have no security, but I have a job. Make it easier on us drivers, or go to the store and get your merchandise....

July 26 2012 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rachel's comment
Rusty Welch

AMEN!!! I'm a service provider at UPS and it SUCKS when people dont have their addresses on their house

February 10 2013 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Kairis

also ups vaca is 1 additional week every 5 years ending at 6 weeks per year. Though I think after 1 year you do get a second week.

April 09 2012 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply