What It's Like to Work at Northrup Grumman

job interview My name is Chris, I am 28 years old and I have been an employee at Northrop Grumman for a little over a year. I work in Fort Sill, Okla., in the Technical Services division on a military trainer contract with the Army and I love every second of it. I honestly could not think of nor recommend a better company to work for. Northrop Grumman takes care of and is loyal to their employees in every way imaginable.

I began working for Northrop Grumman about a week after leaving the military and a few days after my wife gave birth to our first child. The company, from my managers to human resources, was extremely cooperative in regards to allowing me to savor the significant life-changing event I was going through.

They were the ones to approach me and tell me that if I needed any time off it would not be a problem; I didn't have to say a word. They understand that their employees have lives outside of the office and want to accommodate that. They will even go as far as scheduling flights for business-related travel in conjunction with personal travel (like a family vacation) in order to help out their employees.

I travel for work about 40 percent of the year. Unfortunately, this takes me away from my family for more time than most people would like. However, Northrop Grumman always flies its employees on the same airline and puts us in the same brand of hotels, so that we can accumulate frequent flyer miles and hotel points, which they allow us to keep for personal use.

This is especially nice when we have business trips to places like Hawaii. I was able to fly my wife out for free using my miles and we stayed an extra week in the hotel for free using points. To top it off, the company scheduled my flight home for a week after the business part of the trip was complete, so I didn't have to pay anything extra to be there on vacation.

Because of those miles and points, employees are able to take vacations that we might not be able to afford otherwise. And Northrop Grumman is very good about approving time off when an employee requests it; their philosophy is that we have earned our vacation days and we should be able to use them when it is convenient for us, as opposed to when it is convenient to the company.

The company's loyalty to its employees doesn't stop there. In the world of military contracts, job security can be scarce, especially in today's economy. Recently the contract that I work under was put up for bid and a smaller company with less overhead underbid Northrop Grumman for the contract by a significant amount. But now that company has been having trouble meeting the contract requirements and it is looking like Northrop Grumman will be able to keep the contract after all.

This has been a long, drawn-out process, but from day one we had been given assurances from management that we would not be without a job. Months in advance of the actual event, Northrop Grumman formally told all of the employees that fall under this contract that regardless of the outcome of the contracting negotiations, we would be paid for at least one year from the day we lost the contract. Plus, they promised to place every one of us in other jobs within the company. In today's troubled economy, that is the closest thing to a real definition of loyalty that I have seen.

Overall, Northrop Grumman is an excellent place to work. In a company of over 50,000 employees, you really do feel like a part of the family. Whether it is understanding that you have a life outside of the office, or sharing in the benefits of travel, they truly want to see their employees happy. The overall benefits are excellent and some of the best around. They offer top-notch health insurance and employees are fully vested in the retirement fund after only three years of service.

It is Northrop Grumman's philosophy that they want an employee to stay with the company for the duration of their career. In order to make this happen they believe that management should be promoted from within and employees must come to work as well as leave for the day happy. I know I've been a happy man ever since I started with the company, and plan to work here for as long as they will have me.

Next: Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from CNN Money

awesomejfo

I attended the jfo course and asked about this guy "Christopher" and they said he no longer works for this company. I guess the guy didn't really love every second of it did he?????

July 28 2011 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alfredschrader

I love them, but I wouldn't even drive through Oklahoma ...Al-

May 31 2011 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jetlag13

It is hard to take anyone's comments seriously when they cannot even spell the name of the subject company. It is NorthrOp Grumman - not NorthrUp............... ("O" rather than "U") - got it ?

May 31 2011 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vadaddyman

Interesting mix of comments.....especially in light of my pending retirement from the Air Force/Air National Guard and the fact that - at 51 geezing years old - I'm actually searching for my post-retirement career move (I'll have to work till I drop dead); I've been doing an initial & cursory search all these companies.

Even in the military, regardless the branch, your treatment (experience) can vary from one area to the next; the underlying culture is different from one area of responsibility to the next. For instance, where I currently work, the aircraft "Crew Chiefs" act like a bunch of adolescent girls, verbally scratching & clawing each other at every turn, and constantly toss each other under the bus (groveling & whining to the boss) whenever they see an opportunity to make the other guy (or gal) look bad. On the other hand, it's a demanding, high pressure, high tempo business they're in.

Where I work (ACFT Weapon Systems), it's subject to the many of the same pressures, but the "office" atmosphere is more one of a dysfunctional family.....but family, nonetheless.

And if you happen to work over in the "Admin" section, well, you're fairly insulated from the pressures and scrutiny of most "flight-line" positions, so the crowd over there might as well be working behind the counter in a bank. Hell, for all I know, they have pajama parties on Friday afternoons (I'm being facetious, of course).

Regardless, you're going to find varying levels of "employee/employer" loyalty anywhere you go. People are people.....know what I mean, Vern?

May 31 2011 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Baldwin

I worked at Hawthorne, El Segundo, Pico Rivera and Palmdale....If you work hard and produce this
company will take care of you....If not they'll rid themselves of you at the first opportunity!

May 31 2011 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello George

A certin Fl NG I worked for ran its intire facility on Fear, and dirty tactics

May 31 2011 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anonanomaly11

I can relate to the post diamond08017 made. NG as a whole has an awesome culture, the employee benefits and amenities far surpass those at other companies, and the culture at NG fosters growth. Each individuals experience is different and mine was not a pleasant one. I believe my unpleasant experience at the division where I worked was due to the following (make no mistake about it) - low employee morale, manipulation, and intimidation. Some people can thrive in that type of environment while others the environment is a hindrance to productivity. Whether intentional or not, the unsavory characters and behavior at that particular division succeeded at eliminating me from the war game. I still tried to engage myself but felt the way I was being treated was inhumane and so not worth it. Life is too short and some people there were so unsavory they could have been trying to make my life even shorter.

May 30 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kdassist99

My family is part of the Ft. Sill Northrup Grumman Joint Fires Observer (JFO) family, and what is said here by Mr. Grzecki is true as far as the JFO contract goes. The JFO course as a whole looks out for the team members & their families. The transition from active to retired to civilian employment was made easy through the help of NG and the Technical Serv. Div. of NG-Ft. Sill. They hire employees with the highest intergrity and knowlegdge to allow them to provide a top rated/quality of instruction to our country's milti-service active duty members. As to retaining employees while a contract is being re-negotiated, they have and will retain you and will reassign a "team" member should that contract not be renewed. They know the value of finding good employees and keeping good employees. Maybe "tomvmt" you didn't fit with NG, not necessarily NG's fault.

May 30 2011 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kdassist99's comment
tomvmt

If I didn't fit with NG then most people at the facility I worked with didn't fit. Your division of this company may be "wonderful" to employees and families. That doesn't mean it is for all divisions. I was commenting on what was Northrop Grumman Ship Systems, Shipbuilding, whatever name they wanted to call it at different times. It was the company's fault for not looking out for their valued employees. Whatever, very happy for you and Mr. Grzecki. Be glad. You are one of the lucky ones.

May 30 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I salute your patriotism. Defense contractors don't always receive the positive comments they deserve. The defense industry is a great place to work after military service. I made a 35 year career working for several defense corporations. See also, "Memoirs of a Defense Contractor" for one of the few positive books on the defense industry and both positive and negative lessons learned. Good luck.

May 30 2011 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Not my experience, but I'm glad he feels comfortable there.

May 30 2011 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply